- The Big Picture - http://www.ritholtz.com/blog -
Francois Trahan: Today vs One Year Ago
Posted By Barry Ritholtz On March 8, 2004 @ 7:22 am In Finance | Comments Disabled
Trahane presented a variation of Doug Cliggott’s discussion (“Then and Now “). Cliggot looked at the differences between today and 20 years ago. Trahane compared the current market to March 2003:
1) Technically, the market was very oversold 1 year ago. Today, its no longer oversold and is actually overbought;
2) Valuation was compelling a year ago. There are far fewer compelling stock valuations today;
3) Equity Cycles were at a post-bubble low, with an expectation that the market was primed to go vertical. It did, and we should now expect (at best) a sideways market for some time (Note: This is consistent with the work we’ve done on post bubble environments — see 3 Bubbles );
4) Economic data was at cycle lows 1 year ago. Today, the ISM just hit a 20 year high — and then rolled over. From a contrarian perspective, you want to buy when the market when its hated, not loved;
5) Lastly, Trahane looks for a rotation form smaller caps to larger ones, from high Beta to more stable stocks, and from speculative issues, to quality, profitable, dividend paying firms (sound familiar?)
I do not see anything in this list to disagree with. Its always intriguing when different methodologies and time frames arrive at similar conclusions.
My expectations are for a few more weeks (or even months) of consolidation, and then another leg up into the fall — and that may well be it for this cycle. We’ll obviously have a better read as more data becomes available.
Article printed from The Big Picture: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog
URL to article: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2004/03/francois-trahan-today-vs-one-year-ago/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/TV_Info/P21227.asp
 Bear Stearn: http://www.bearstearns.com/bear/bsportal/CorporateHome.do
 Then and Now: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2004/02/doug_cliggot_on.html
 3 Bubbles: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2004/03/3_bubbles.html
Copyright © 2008 The Big Picture. All rights reserved.