- The Big Picture - http://www.ritholtz.com/blog -
Posted By Barry Ritholtz On October 16, 2005 @ 6:00 pm In Economy,Financial Press,Weblogs | Comments Disabled
Good morning, and welcome to the monkey house . Now that the deluge has stopped, we can put away our umbrellas and turn to the key topics of the day. Leading off the hit parade is inflation:
• Look Ma, No Inflation!  was my sarcastic take on the nonsensical core rate (this one seemed to resonate in the MSM).
• Before the CPI data came out, I explained why Inflation is here and the Core CPI is nonsense  in this Forbes’ Video. (I also managed to snap some photos of Malcomb S. Forbes’ motorcycle!)
• John Mauldin excellent smackdown on the absurd way CPI calculates Housing data in Smoothing Out Inflation . If utility costs go up, the CPI believes your renters equivalent is therefore going down — Energy inflation perversely lowers housing costs.
• While I completely disagree with James Altucher’s take, his column "Don’t Sweat Inflation Worries " does as good a job as any explaining the no inflation view. (He’s wrong, but its a good column nonetheless).
But its not all inflation — other items were worth exploring:
• The Apprenticed Investor column is back, and this week’s entry generated a lot of mail: Write This Down  helps answer the question "What was I thinking when I bought that pig?"
• Slate’s Dan Gross asks "Who will fill the Fed chairman’s shoes?" 
• Each week the CARNIVAL OF THE CAPITALISTS  has 20 or so posts on various economic, business and market related topics. Its a good way to discover new voices on these subjects.
• Last week, I did something I almost never do: I read not one but two WSJ Op/Eds: I was shocked; Not only were they factually inaccurate and poorly researched (See Get A Clue ) — they were ginormous MONEYLOSERS . My advice to investors: Read the WSJ, but stay far far away from the Op Eds.
• Lastly, I came across this rather expensive tome — The Psychology of Technical Analysis  — If anyone has any feedback on it, please share it with me.
Article printed from The Big Picture: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog
URL to article: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2005/10/weekend-linkfest-6/
URLs in this post:
 welcome to the monkey house: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385333501/thebigpictu09-20
 Look Ma, No Inflation!: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/cpi_i_cannot_st.html
 Core CPI perspective "Spin.": http://online.barrons.com/article/SB112933337205269411.html
 relevant excerpt here: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/inflation_spin.html
 Inflation is here and the Core CPI is nonsense: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/inflation_energ.html
 Smoothing Out Inflation: http://www.frontlinethoughts.com/article.asp?id=mwo101405
 Don’t Sweat Inflation Worries: http://www.thestreet.com/p/rmoney/jamesaltucher/10247424.html
 Barron’s Mike Santoli: http://online.barrons.com/article/SB112872607867163261.html
 go here: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/still_waiting_f.html
 Write This Down: http://www.thestreet.com/_rms/comment/barryritholtz/10246290.html
 "Who will fill the Fed chairman’s shoes?": http://www.slate.com/id/2127984/
 Fundies Blow Delphi Call: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/fundies_blew_de.html
 tool works for you: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/technical_tools.html
 CARNIVAL OF THE CAPITALISTS: http://www.elhide.com/solo/cotc.htm
 Insolvency Epidemic: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/insolvency_epid_3.html
 Day of Last Resort: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/a_day_of_last_r.html
 Get A Clue: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/wtf_wsj_oped.html
 MONEYLOSERS: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/10/wsj_oped_more_b.html
 The Psychology of Technical Analysis: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1557385432/thebigpictu09-20/002-7662709-8330461
Copyright © 2008 The Big Picture. All rights reserved.