- The Big Picture - http://www.ritholtz.com/blog -
Media Appearance: Kudlow & Company (1/27/06)
Posted By Barry Ritholtz On January 27, 2006 @ 3:00 pm In Media | Comments Disabled
Tonight’s appearance will be Kudlow & Company , and I am scheduled to be on from 5:00 to 6:00 pm. Also appearing: Supply Side Art Laffer, Chief Economist for Mesirow Financial Diane Swonk, Raymond Learsy , and Jed Babbin .
There were some rumors wirling around sometime about Diane being appointed to the Federal reserve . . .
UPDATE: January 28, 2006 6:19am
Lots of email and comments about the show — and people continue to ask "why do it." Aside from the obvious, there’s plenty of good explanations:
1) I may disagree with his politics (I’m a pragmatic independent ) but he is an extremely bright and engaging guy; Off camera, Larry is utterly charming and guileless; The on camera bluster is just "show bidness;"
2) I try to keep my appearances on any show I’m on reality based. So when 2 other panelists claim "There is no inflation" I do not try to convince them — instead, I want the viewers to think: "No inflation? These dolts are clueless — let me listen to what that fat bastard is saying."
3) Of all the people who are not in the conservative camp (me), I can get Larry to actually listen to alternative arguments — he knows I was Bullish on Oil since 12/03, and on Gold for even longer — so when I say there is a real chance of market dislocation, it get his attention. And he is well aware that almost nobody else on Wall Street is saying this. He’s been around long enough to know when everyone is on one side of the boat . . .
4) He’s definitely come around (somewhat) on the more egregious examples of the Administration’s incompetence. Especially with spending and deficits, but on New Orleans and Iraq also.
5) Speaking of Mess O’Potamia: The subtext of Jed Babbin’s comments is that if we weren’t so tied down in Iraq, we would have the free hand needed to
address confront Iran — a soon to be nuclear power. So the f%&@ up in Iraq becomes a National Security issue . .
Article printed from The Big Picture: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog
URL to article: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2006/01/media-appearance-kudlow-company-12706/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/TV_Info/P12129.asp
 Raymond Learsy: http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/learsy200312040900.asp
 Jed Babbin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jed_Babbin
 pragmatic independent: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/writing/2004/03/last_of_the_ind.html
Copyright © 2008 The Big Picture. All rights reserved.