- The Big Picture - http://www.ritholtz.com/blog -
Ways to achieve a painful, early death
Posted By Barry Ritholtz On September 20, 2007 @ 7:30 pm In Weblogs | Comments Disabled
I have great readers, who have brought lots of terrific items to my attention:
However, the law of large numbers has finally caught up with TBP. When there were 1000 people here, there were but a few (only 2 or 3?) brain damaged folks. Now that the total number has scaled up, the blunt head trauma demographic has swollen into a small cottage industry of stupidity.
normal smarter person would do is simply delete these email without comment. But I think we can all agree that is not my modus operandi. When I have an itch, I have to scratch it. Hence, the following public service announcements:
1) Stop naming your blogs some variant of The Big Picture. It won’t help your Google score (its based on URL, not names). All it does is GUARANTEE I will never link to you. Nor will anyone I know. And their friends. Or their friends. Capiche?
2) Don’t beg for a Blogroll listing — it is unseemly. Besides, we have painstakingly detailed our link exchange policy here .
3) Please don’t sign me up for your email lists, newsletters, or invite me to a Yahoo discussion groups. I have neither the time nor the interest. And after the 7th invite from the same group, I just assume its spam, block the address, and never see anything you write again. (also, a CC to Abuse@Yahoo.com can be expected).
4) No, I won’t introduce you to Kudlow or Cramer.
5) Social networking invites? Puh-leeze — That’s so 2003. Here’s Why I Don’t Do Social Networking Sites ;
6) Attachments are verbotten from people I do not personally know (this is good advice for everyone). Send text, and if pictures are a must, then send a link.
Word attachments, from a PR firm? Seriously, how f*&%ing clueless are you? I can only assume your clients are idiots also — for hiring you.
 7) Please do not send me info on something I have already posted on. There is a Google search box  at the top right: type in a phrase, and voila! Prior posts on that subject!
8) Don’t send me links to items I have already
posted. Don’t send me links to stuff that are months old. And lastly,
don’t send me headline without a link. If you are too damned lazy to
find a link, then I assume whatever story you are sending is lazy and
Ok, rant over . . .
(I feel like a $100 dollars)
Article printed from The Big Picture: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog
URL to article: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2007/09/ways-to-achieve-a-painful-early-death/
URLs in this post:
 link exchange policy here: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/the_big_picture_disclosur.html
 Why I Don’t Do Social Networking Sites: http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2005/02/why_i_dont_do_s.html
 Image: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=google&btnG=Search+Big+Picture&domains=http%3A%2F%2Fbigpicture.typepad.com%2F&sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fbigpicture.typepad.com%2F
Copyright © 2008 The Big Picture. All rights reserved.