Carnegie Mellon Professor Randy Pausch (Oct. 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008) gave his last lecture at the university Sept. 18, 2007, before a packed McConomy Auditorium. In his moving presentation, "Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams," Pausch talked about his lessons learned and gave advice to students on how to achieve their own career and personal goals.

Randy finally lost his battle to cancer early Friday morning . . .

For more, visit www.cmu.edu/randyslecture.

Previously:
Randy Pausch, Final Lecture

Randy Pausch Reflects

Category: Psychology, Science, Video

13 Responses to “Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams”

1. xyz says:

This entire lecture is excellent…a real inspiration. Young people (and some oldies like me) can learn a lot from the lecture and from the spirit in which he gave it.

Thanks for posting this.

2. Jim says:

Barry, This is the first time I have posted, I thank you sincerely for posting this link.

You are a class act.

BTW your blog and investment intelligence is very informative and helpful.

Thanks!

3. Patrick says:

That was really, really great. I haven’t watched it all yet but its obviously fantastic and I’ll watch the rest later.

I work in computers (programming & math, mostly… almost went to CM too) and I have to say that as rare as it is to see someone who is dying give such a care-free speech, it’s just as rare to see such a charismatic and good speaker who is also a professional computer nerd and professor. It’s extremely rare so to combine the two is hands down amazing.

(and I’m usually a cynical ass about things like this, so I do really mean amazing. I will be showing my friends this.)

4. ilsm says:

Worth every minute.

Thank you for posting this.

5. dano says:

Watched his video a long time ago. Very inspirational. He was just a few months
    younger than me, and in far better shape.
    Never know what life will deal ya.

Sold my company last year, quit work for a few years. Want to enjoy life and never
    look back. No one ever went to their
    deathbed wishing they had worked more.

Randy is/was an inspiration. The world
    needs more like him.

6. dano says:

Watched his video a long time ago. Very inspirational. He was just a few months
    younger than me, and in far better shape.
    Never know what life will deal ya.

look back. No one ever went to their
    deathbed wishing they had worked more.

Randy is/was an inspiration. The world
    needs more like him.

7. That Guy Drinks Beer says:

Color me cynical. Dano above is my canvas. Sorry.

8. amnon says:

BEautiful speech, great link Barry. what about the third head fake…..tells you he wants to make you laugh, and you end up crying. Cherish the moments, they are few and they can be fleeting.
    Amnon

9. sukh hayre says:

Barry,

If you go to YouTube and search Randy Pausch Oprah, you find a 9-minute condensed version of the speech that summarizes many of the great points he made in this speech.

You may want to post that version for the time-deprived.

Today was the first time I heard about Randy, and from the WSJ website, no less.

I sat at my computer for two hours to watch, this video, the Oprah video, and the Diane Sawyer interview.

First George Carlin, and now Randy Pausch. You might think what?!? – They’re night and day. But they both had an imporant message. They just communicated it differently.

Cheers,

Thanks for posting.

10. GB says:

Awesome. I saw him a few months on an interview after he made this speech. It was moving to see how positive he was.

11. babygal says:

I’m 50 and was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer this year. Cancer is like aging-you don’t feel any different yourself-it’s just how others see you and treat you.

Randy was being himself like we all want to be.

12. Justin says:

Amazing.

Watch the whole thing.

13. Bud Hovell says:

Thanks for posting that, Barry.