Forecast: Scattered recession, with defaults gusting up to 40% !

Europe_map

Hat tip: Gary!

Source:
European weather map
FT, October 20 2008 21:35

Category: Economy

20 Responses to “Economic Weather Map of Europe”

1. Tomaz says:

Hmm, can`t find our country on the map. Weird.
    It should be next to Austria, Hungary and Italy.
    Really weird. I hope we were not wiped out. Let me check. No, I am still alive and kicking,..

2. Tomaz says:

Hmm, can`t find our country on the map. Weird.
    It should be next to Austria, Hungary and Italy.

3. Tomaz says:

Hmm, can`t find our country on the map. Weird.
    It should be next to Austria, Hungary and Italy.

4. JoJo says:

I thought Sweden and Switzerland was the same country?

5. ben says:

The situation isn’t good. CNBC goes from octobox to 10 boxes!

6. Ali Saygin says:

Apparently

“The more Starbucks a country has, the bigger its financial problems.”

7. Tomaz says:

Hmm. Sorry about the multiple comments. Not sure why it posted it so many times. I screwed up something I guess :)).

8. Adam says:

Can someone explain the difference between bottom-up and top-down earnings for S&P 500? Also, does anyone know why Shiller uses top-down earnings for his valuation calculations, as opposed to bottom-up?

9. super-anon says:

Needs more cat 5 hurricanes and F5 tornadoes.

10. R. Timm says:

ALI- “The more Starbucks a country has, the bigger its financial problems.”

Your quote reminded me of the tech bubble when we counted how many Herman Miller Aeron Chairs a company had to determine which ones would bust. Any company foolish enough to buy every employee a $1k chair obviously lacked good financial decision-making skills.

I guess the same can be said for a country with enough idiots to pay $4 for a cup of coffee.

11. ConcernedCitizen says:

How about this weather map of people on the street here…wow are they out of touch or what?

People nervous now, but expect economy to improve
    Buzz Up Send
    Email IM Share
    Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print By ALAN FRAM, Associated Press Writer Alan Fram, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 29 mins ago Play Video ABC News – Recession Map: Best and Worst States

12. Joe says:

“The more Starbucks a country has, the bigger its financial problems.”

Another disturbing economic indicator is that Starbucks is now serving … oatmeal.

When they switch to cold gruel, we are so screwed.

13. ConcernedCitizen says:

I was in the Czech Republic, and Poland a year and a half ago, and believe me those people will be able to handle any down-turn better than us pussies in the U.S.

14. ConcernedCitizen says:

OK, I’m trying to use a little “tough love,” but really people does anyone realize how inept we’ve become in the area of basic servival? I mean: I can’t live without a cell phone, xbox???????? c’mon.

15. mysterious eggs says:

Tomaz, I was a bit disappointed that I couldn’t find the economic weather for Slovenia either!

The Starbucks theory article made me laugh.

The higher the concentration of expensive, nautical-themed faux-Italian branded frappuccino joints in a country’s financial capital, the more likely the country is to have suffered catastrophic financial losses.

Is anybody else reading The Great Gatsby right now?

16. Detlef says:

Hmm, according to Eurostat the British unemployment rate in 2007 was 5.3%. How did the FT get to 2.8% for 2008?
    Same for Romania. 6.4% in 2007 according to Eurostat. And only 3.6% in 2007?

And Tomaz, Belgium doesn´t seem to exist anymore for the FT either. How sad. :)

17. baychev says:

i’d say typical seasonal weather.

and of course there is no room for miniscule states on the map. do not whine!

18. anonymissa says:

Okay, I am teh stupid here, but doesn’t Europe use a different standard measure of unemploymen than the US? And don’t different countries use different ones?

Can we compare these directly to our own?

19. Robert says:

Hey there are missing Belarus which just ask the IMF for help. Funny stuff!

20. tyoung says:

The figures for Ireland are nuts. Goodbody’s are predicting a -4% GDP number for 09 after a -2.5% for 08