October unemployment numbers were at a 14-year high. As bad as that is, there is another, broader measure of unemployment that shows things are getting worse. Madeleine Brand discusses the numbers with financial strategist Barry Ritholtz.

Why is it that I sound so much better on NPR — less nasal, more mellifluous — than other apperarances ?

click for audio

Listen Now [3 min 55 sec] add to playlist

Source:
Unemployment Hits 14-Year High
Madeleine Brand
Day to Day, November 7, 2008

Category: Economy, Employment, Media

9 Responses to “Me on NPR: U.S. Jobless Rate Rises To 14-Year High”

1. peachin says:

Why is it that I sound so much better on NPR — less nasal, more mellifluous — than other appearances ?

Because NPR is a clean clear presentation platform

Larry Kudlow is trash

you are what you eat

2. peachin says:

I wrote my last comment before I heard you on NPR

Then I listened – WOW! Clear concise and finished thoughts – no over talk in the background,
    no interruption of a thought uncompleted – no Larry K over talking you because he didn’t like
    where you were going…..

you were able to talk at a slower pace, not worrying about commercial countdown monitors
    - Barry – get back on NPR – maybe you could do a 3 minute wrapup every trading day at the
    beginning of “All things considered!”””

3. VennData says:

Maybe they should bring Berlusconi on? Message to the Italian PM – and other like him – here in American, we’re all black now.

4. jbruso says:

Diligent audio technicians ;)

5. evanesce says:

Barry, there may be two reasons why you sound better.

The first is that we tend to think about our visual appearance when in person, on TV and so on. (I’ve done this and am aware of it in myself.) So you might just be a bit more relaxed and that comes out in your voice.

Importantly, NPR almost certainly has better microphones, sound engineers, and all stuff related to audio. It’s their day job to produce voice and they’re really good at it.

Oh, I also liked what you said, as well as how you said it.

6. coler says:

Beware of hubris, Barry.

Guys who end up on television and radio a lot seem to be particularly prone to this fault and often start thinking they’re immune to mistakes and start talking as though they’re higher on the totem pole than the rest of the “common” folk. It destroyed Greenspan. It’s happened (and is getting worse) with Bernanke. Paulson is so far gone that I don’t even think God could pull him back even if he used an infinitely long tent-pole.

It starts off simple, with remarks that are self-centered and self-absorbed (“look what I did?” and “I told you I was right”) and pretty quickly leads to a self justifying feedback loop that destroys your link with the masses. Kudlow has already traveled that route, as has many of his guests (one that particularly sticks in my mind is Donald Luskin – what an arrogant lump of [your_definition_here] he has become).

Please don’t follow their lead. I’ve noticed lately an inclination in your writing toward self-patting. It’s not necessary. When you’re right, you’re right and everyone will know it. You’ve got a fantastic site here. You’re a great thinker and have demonstrated a level of humility that has kept hubris at bay. Please keep it that way.

7. Bob A says:

There’s a big difference between

having a normal conversation with someone who is truly interested, curious and polite

…as opposed to trying to get a complete sentence in without getting cut off,
    among a bunch of churlish, idealogical jackals on a show like crudlow

8. dogjawbull says:

Barry-
    Nice. A tad self-satisfied, but then who can really blame you (as long as you don’t make it a habit). Not unlike me at parties explaining my ultra-short S&P ;) Though I’ve trimmed that to a third of my prior position.

I like the new site, but, for me at least the frikkin’ password situation was wack.

Scott in Chicago

9. ironman says:

They’ve invested a lot in their broadcast technology – their equipment broadcasts CD-quality sound, while other radio and television broadcasters put out the equivalent of MP3-quality sound.

Plus, never underestimate your ability to schmooze on radio!

Related to the topic of the broadcast: Teenagers, Young Adults Hammered in Latest Jobs Numbers