Hi All,

My apologies if your calls and emails and exhortations to bath have gone unheeded — I was in the home stretch and now I am finally finished!  I’ve been slogging away on this for nearly a year, and as of noon yesterday, the manuscript for the book is in the hands of McGraw Hill.

Yes, the book that wouldn’t end (thanks to Paulson & Bernanke) is now completed. It was due in August, and we (luckily) waited a few more weeks to see what would happen. We were going to make it into a weekly serial, but in the end decided to have it bound. You know by now that September and October were all Bailouts all the time.

The book will be out in January.

It will take me a few days to dig out, but I am back in the office day.  Thank you for all of your patience and kind words!

See you at the book party.

Category: Bailouts

29 Responses to “Yeah ! I’m finished with Bailout Nation !”

1. “The monstrous credit and debt bubble in the United States, through years of overaccommodation by the Federal Reserve, has created an economy with an array of horrible and massive dislocations and imbalances that make a sustained recovery impossible.” —Kurt Richebacher

from the quote of the day–to the right.

Synchronicity lives~

past that, Way to Go, BR. Here’s hoping that your Tome becomes a useful reminder, to the Future, of the Hubris of our Age, an Anti-dote to its effects, and a Prophylactic against ts recurrence.

2. Posting will resume on its previous regular schedule

3. JustinTheSkeptic says:

BR, you can’t possibly sleep! Congrats on finishing the book. Can not wait to see what your conclusion is. My guess is that bailouts are for the rich and famous only and that us poor suckers are always the suckers!

4. zell says:

Congratulations!! Take a break . A title for your next project will be ” Too Big To Bail”.

5. guidepostings says:

congratulations barry.

did you see my “funny”?

“Is Ben Bernanke Charles Ponzi’s Lovechild?”

all the best.

guidepostings.blogspot.com

6. CNBC Sucks says:

Ritholtz, did you mention the Evergreen Solar affair as I asked you to? I brought it up just last week (http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2008/12/fomc-revolt/), hat tip to Moe Tkacik. ESLR would be the perfect first chapter for your book – a solar company asking to be bailed out by the TARP. ESLR loaned 31 million shares of its own stock to be shorted by hedge funds so that they would buy its convertible debt round, only to have those 31 million shares go missing when Lehman went under. If you failed to cover ESLR in your book, you need to get that manuscript back from McGraw Hill and start over.

When you are finished (by working through the holidays), you need to shut down this blog. I just saw 15 seconds of non-muted Squawk Box with some guy named Egan talking about how default rates, the housing market, and the overall economy are still getting worse. He sounded like you. Guys like you and “Egan” need to fit your data to the bullishness and fat and happy valuations of the stock market.

I have been too busy to pay attention to financial news for a week, but I am not worried about any of this since I have all of the family’s money at Madoff Investment Securities, and Bernard personally assured me that everything is just fine.

7. Michael M says:

Hi Barry,

Did you see Gretchen Morgenson’s opening paragraph in her NYT article Sunday?

“HERE in Bailout Nation, you’ll be surprised to learn, some of us are more equal than others. ”

So she’s channeling your yet to be published book AND George Orwell at the same time. Cool.

8. John Borchers says:

Good luck.

I’m shorting the market on open with IWM $55 Jan put again. Limit orders in for $9 and $8. Today I’m going to fight the Fed.

9. tselliott says:

Congratulations on finishing your book! You’ve definitely got more time and/or energy than I do. :)

10. Katie says:

Congrats and best of luck! Will you send Greenspan and Bernanke a free copy? Maybe they could learn a thing or too.

11. Congratulations, Barry… Selfishly, I hope you smash open the door for other bloggers to gain some respect in print media.

Send me a copy and I’ll be more than happy to review it for my readers…

“I write to keep from going mad from the contradictions I find among mankind – and to work some of those contradictions out for myself.” ~ Michel de Montaigne

12. Barry,

It’s standard Web 2.0 practice for blog proprietors to thank all of their commenters by name in the Acknowledgements Section of their first book.

13. Chief Tomahawk says:

I want a book tour t-shirt!

14. msecc says:

So this is going to be a volume series…

15. I want a book tour t-shirt!

BR,

The ‘Market’ belloweth..

16. AGORACOM says:

Well done, Barry. I can’t imagine the quality and quantity of blog posts that are going to hit us in 2009 now that one of your three full-time jobs is done.

The Greek

17. MorticiaA says:

What WILL you do with your time? Congratulations on the accomplishment… I look forward to buying the book.

18. Mannwich says:

Congrats Barry. Hope to receive it for Christmas. If not, I’ll buy it myself.

Keep up the great work!

19. “The book will be out in January.”

Barry – the Amazon page says Feb 12, 2009. You might want to have them update their page if the date has changed.

Anyway, I look forward to picking up a copy whenever it comes out. Congrats.

20. tranchefoot says:

Congrats! I look forward to reading it.

21. leftback says:

Congratulations Barry, “Bailout Nation” is already a central part of the Kudlow argot.
    Gotta love Larry. He is probably one of the most unoriginal human beings who ever lived.

Now the book is done – if only the bailouts were finished….!
    I bet you are already beginning: Bailout Nation, Part Deux.

22. donna says:

Congrats!

Very timely and should sell well, too.

23. me says:

Congrats, I also look forward to reading it.

24. pmorrisonfl says:

Hearty congratulations. I look forward to buying/reading it, though I guess it won’t be for Christmas! Maybe you could put up a sample chapter, say on Dec 25?

25. Bob A says:

cheers dude

26. Space_Cowboy_NW says:

Senor Barry,

Other than at a book siging, how does one obtain an autographed version?

Mucho Congrats….Alas, No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!

27. gfeirman says:

I’m hearing the phrase “Bailout Nation” everywhere: David Brooks NY Times Column, Gretchen Morgenson NY Times Column, Kudlow uses it all the time on CNBC. It’s becoming THE phrase of the moment.

I can’t wait to read this book. I bet it will be the best selling business book when it comes out. Congratulations Barry! No one has worked harder than you in chronicling this mess and I think you’re about to be recognized for that in a really big way. Good luck!

28. Paulybury says:

Whew! They say heroin is pretty tough to withdrawal from, but with what I’ve been going thru while you finished your book, … Congratulations, glad you finished it, I’m sure it will be a great success, blah, blah, blah, so after a well deserved rest PLEASE get back to doing what you do best (and TBP has the #1 rating to prove it). In all seriousness, I’m sure all of your followers missed your postings.

By the way, it strikes me funny that Greenspan’s doctoral thesis I believe was on housing bubbles and Bernake’s claim to fame is as an expert on the Great Depression. Hmmm… Just a thought and call me crazy but maybe the next person they put in that position should be an expert on Adam Smith and the study of successful economic systems.

29. Gratz!!

Any book signings or pre-signed books for sale?