We’ve reached the point where things are so bad we can only laugh at it — and that means its time for amusing and silly, time-killing web games.

The US Economy is failing. Your job is to save it from economic ruin by choosing which companies live and which can be let go bankrupt. Interactive flash, looks like Monopoly. If you get stuck, you can always “Ask A Greenspan.”

Hey You! Stop playing that stupid game and update that resume !

click to play

Hat tip David Gaffen, Marketbeat

Category: Bailouts, Humor, Web/Tech

14 Responses to “The Bailout Game”

1. Bruce N Tennessee says:

OK…TBP readers..if you are getting tired of my posts about what the actual releases say, let me know and I will just keep my thoughts to myself. Until then, the initial claims could be read much differently this morning…..

UNADJUSTED DATA

“The advance number of actual initial claims under state programs, unadjusted, totaled 952,151 in the week ending Jan. 10, an increase of 220,205 from the previous week. There were 547,506 initial claims in the comparable week in 2008.”

That is right, perusers…the unadjusted data have a massive disconnect to the “seasonally adjusted” numbers…nearly 1 million initial claims were actually processed last week.

Now who are you gonna believe, me or your lyin’ eyes…as Barry says above the US economy is failing..invest appropriately..

2. Mannwich says:

Not tired of your postings at all, Bruce. For those who prefer living in and facing reality, they’re most welcome.

3. Winston Munn says:

Is this Reality?
    No, it’s Iowa.

4. DL says:

An article in The Nation opposing TARP II:

The point is that, here is a left-wing publication coming out against TARP. At the same time, fiscal conservatives are against TARP as well. I’m just trying to figure out who the hell wants this thing other than the bankers and the Wall Street “fat cats”. Why is there so much support in Congress to do this, when there appears to be so little support in the country?

5. Mannwich says:

@DL: Because Wall Street is where the campaign money is……Congress and Wall Street on same gravy train. Until that train crashes, this won’t end.

6. DL says:

Mannwich @ 12:12

Yeah, I suppose you’re right. That, and the fact that politicians like to put off the pain as far into the future as possible.

7. Mannwich says:

@DL: Yep, they’ve/we’ve (since we elected them to represent us in theory) been kicking the can down the road for too long now and it’s all crashing down now. This country needs to grow up. We’ve been in disney-ification la-la land since the days of sunny old Reagan.

8. usphoenix says:

JPMorgan surprised everyone today I suppose. But the other shoe hasn’t yet dropped.

The more I read about the Bailout the more confused I become, or frustrated, or angry. Or all of the above.

Transparency has to be brought to the table. Period. If the banks can’t weather the publicity, they probably don’t deserve to survive. Citi has certainly had their situation wallpapering the media.

Don’t these companies have an obligation to disclose their Bailout activities to shareholders? How could they not? And if so, how does it differ from public disclosure?

BR: Why did you pull the Kohn hearing? Sure it was embarrassing to any self-respecting citizen, but it captured in a nutshell the essence of our incompetency.

Oh, I get it.

If people are angry now, just wait til they learn the Feds are shoveling taxpayer money to foreign banks. Especially ones connected with such luminaries as Phil Gramm.

“Did you give $50B to Credit Suisse?” BOMBSHELL. Game over.

I am reminded of a basic trial attorney rule: In court, never ask a question you don’t already know the answer to.

9. bacdluckrush says:

I wholeheartedly agree that things are so bad all you can do is laugh. I found this great compilation of vieos. It always cheers me up when I’ve got the economic blues….

10. Greg0658 says:

and I’m not try’g to be a dork either …
    I saw this full length tv show last night on PBS and TBPs info was all over in it
    I was so impressed I ordered a copy for our library

thanks to all and especially our editor BarryR

11. JZumbrun says:

Did nobody play the game? I suspect it makes a lot of interesting assumptions about the relationship between events. I played twice. If you save Bear and let Lehman fail it creates a huge disaster, but if you don’t save Bear then it’s no huge deal if you let Lehman fail. That’s an interesting assumption, and I suspect the game is full of them. I placed 70th on the all-time leader board by letting Bear and Lehman both fail and then bailing out all the banks once TARP passed. The game apparently has some specific scenario in mind about what would have been the best way to handle the bailouts.

12. ben22 says:

o.k. I waited until I got home to play the game, had a blast, I let every single company fail!

13. dunnage says:

Supply-Side economics without make-up. Paulsen said give me a Trillion and I’m going to give it to these 9 guys, no strings attached. He got the $1,000,000,000 and gave it. Now any other give aways he was against — free market, capitalism etc. \

When workers have not gotten a “real” pay increase in 40 years, what would you expect.

Oh, I noticed they are going to have to “cram” some more Billions down BOA’s throat. Supply-Side is rough at the top.

14. mudpuppy says:

DL
    Could it be that those on the inside, Obama, Bernacke, Pauslon etc, are scared shitless be what they see.
    With 62 trillion dollars in CDSs the fear that iff one of the dominoes fall they all fall. We are too far down the road for the invisible hand to work. Or as someone has said it turns out the invisible hand turned out to be a pick pocket.