Music sales are following the trend established over the oast several years: Digital Sales Up, Physical unit sales down, and overall revenue sliding further.
• Total album sales fell to 428.4 million units, a drop of 8.5% (2007 = 500.5 million).
• Physical album sales fell 20% to 362.6 million (from 450.5 million)
• Digital album sales rose 32% percent to 65.8 million units;
• Digital track sales were up 27%, breaking the 1 billion mark for the first time at 1.07 billion.
• Total transactions rose 10.5% to 1.5 billion;
• All Genres saw losses: Classical music dropped 26%; Country fell 24%; Latin was off 21.1%;
• Vinyl album sales also grew with 1.88 million vinyl albums purchased for the year.
Concerts saw higher revenue, due primarily to higher ticket prices. For the 100 top-grossing shows:
• Box-office receipts from North American concerts were $4.2 billion, up 7.8%;
• Average ticket prices cost $66.90, up 8%;
• Number of tickets sold fell 3%, to 35.6 million
Top 10 highest-grossing tour of 2008 in North America:
Madonna – $105 million
Celine Dion – $94 million
Eagles – $73.4 million
Kenny Chesney – $72.2 million
Bon Jovi – $70.4 million
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band – $69.3 million
Neil Diamond – $59.8 million
Rascal Flatts – $55.8 million
The Police – $48 million
Tina Turner – $47.7 million
Data via Pollstar
CD Sales Plummet 15%; Digital Sales Gain 45% (January 2008)
Album sales continue to slide in ’08
Music industry down 14% from last year
GIGONOMICS: NOW ROCK BANDS MUST SING FOR THEIR SUPPER
INTELLIGENT LIFE magazine, Winter 2008
Album sales plunge, digital downloads up
Trend is troubling for struggling music industry as sales fall in all genres
AP, 5:13 p.m. ET, Thurs., Jan. 1, 2009
Music sales up 10% in 2008, thanks to downloads (and vinyl)
Ars Technica, January 02, 2009 – 01:30PM CT
Concert Industry Bucks the Recessionary Trend
WSJ, JANUARY 5, 2009, 10:39 A.M. ET
Tickets Sold Slip, but Higher Prices Fuel an Increase
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.