Another Onion classic:

Drawn by a strange force they could neither resist nor describe, millions of Americans reportedly dropped what they were doing Tuesday and, acting as if by instinct alone, gathered into one massive nationwide breadline.

According to witnesses, citizens across the country exited their homes in near unison, leaving behind growing stacks of bills, empty kitchen cupboards, and what was once a life of comfort to form the spontaneous, 2,000-mile-long queue.

Source:
Nation Instinctively Forms Breadline
FEBRUARY 24, 2009 | ISSUE 45•09

Category: Bailouts, Economy, Humor, Psychology

17 Responses to “Nation Instinctively Forms Breadline”

1. Andy Tabbo says:

I LOVE THAT.

It raises an interesting and pertinent question…

WHAT DOES A DEPRESSION “FEEL” LIKE IN THE 21st CENTURY?

Given the advancement of society over the last 80 years, the cost to actually feed and clothe the populace has dropped dramatically. The big cutbacks for most people is whether or not to replace that 4 year old vehicle, or the cell phone for the 9 year old, or the new 52″ HDTV, or if we’ll take that trip to Disneyworld….

Obviously things are much shittier in certain locations vs. others, so I don’t want to make light of what’s transpiring.

But what does it mean to really cut back in the U.S. of A? And what does a Depression really mean?

We’ll find out over the next couple of years….

2. Bob A says:

sad but…

3. Transor Z says:

In 2009, you have to have gluten-free bread and a tofurkey in every pot.

4. Bob A says:

can’t help but remember not so long ago
    when they laughed at us for suggesting
    some people might walk away from their mortgages

5. trackerman says:

What is it like to be in a depression?
    My father was 13 when the Great Depression started, so he basically spent his entire teenage years in the depression. He told me of having to quit high school and work in the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) to help my grandparents make ends meet. His younger brother and sister took whatever odd jobs they could get to also help out. People didn’t think about things like radios or autos or college. They were thankful that they had a meal each day. And this persisted until 1941 when both my father and uncle enlisted in the army.

Needless to say, living for 12 years in a depression environment certainly formulated my father’s ideas about saving and credit. And a lot of that rubbed off on me.

6. Ventura2012 says:

7. Steve Barry says:

“Almost had a heart attack when I looked a GE’s balance sheet on yahoo just now. Do these jokers really have a D/TNW of 87.7x, please tell me this is not true….this will not have a good ending….”

What will we do without CNBC? This is Cramerica.

8. babygal says:

Barry-when are you going to Twitter?

9. gloppie says:

Twitter is for fools. It’s just like blogging with a character limit. Teenagers love it. It’s slower than chat.
    Not the killer app.

10. that’s an interesting post BR.

recently, I’ve found myself, in discussions, making the point, ISW: “There is so much ‘waste’ in our Economy/Society that If we would remember what it is to, actually, be reflective/resourceful, and found, again, the recipe fror: the Milk of Human kindness, many would have more, and all at lower costs”

or, differently, why so many people bought into the v.2000 model of Hope & Change: “Compassionate Conservatism”

past that, though, I couldn’t resist its reminding me of:

11. Jojo99 says:

This would be a great idea!

Imagine a human line, hand to hand, from coast-to-coast? There are many possibilities for who might join in. All people who are unemployed (there’s at least 12 million available) or all whose houses are underwater or people against throwing money at bad banks or …?

Politicians might finally get the message and the media would be all something like this.

12. VennData says:

The killer app in 2010 will be having an income.

13. Expat says:

The Onion has been prescient and usually insightful in its satire. When I read this excerpt I thought of (okay, alea jacta est…I will now probably burn in Web hell forever for this analogy) the Jews lining up peacefully, complacently for the holocaust. Americans continue to line up peacefully, complacently while Washington and Wall Street continue the financial holocaust.

Personally, I believe that most of us could do with having most of our toys and money taken away. I certainly believe it would help the planet. But the way it is happening is wrong, wrong, wrong. Unfortunately, like the Onion’s breadlines, Americans are standing in line waiting complacently while their taxes, their children’s futures, their ideals, and their principles are sent “to the showers”.

14. try2bamused says:

I guess they saw Bernanke’s testimony too.

15. Unsympathetic says:

“Compassionate conservatism” is giving money to the super-wealthy – but with love!

16. momus says:

This would have been perfect had it begun, “Lead by Rick Santelli…”