Well, its official: CNBC has confirmed that Dylan Ratigan is gone. As the nearby photo shows from CNBC’s site, Dylan is gone. (Not that this crowd ain’t handsome, but . . . they ain’t Dylan handsome).

The Associated Press is strongly hinting Dylan is going to ABC:

CNBC says its “Fast Money” host Dylan Ratigan has quit the financial news network.
Under Ratigan, the quick-paced late afternoon program served as a post-game show for the day’s Wall Street trading.

His contract is expiring and he’s considered a strong candidate for a new job at ABC News. ABC spokesman Jeffrey Schneider wouldn’t address those reports but said that ABC thinks the world of Dylan Ratigan.

The buzz started with NYPost’s Page Six who reported the news:

THERE was high drama at CNBC yesterday as “Fast Money” anchor Dylan Ratigan quit — sources say today will be his last day on-air — and an insider is blaming his battles with network big Susan Krakower. Krakower — the VP for strategic programming and development who co-created “Fast Money” with Ratigan — “is partially responsible for this. She’s been ignoring him for months and he couldn’t get the attention he deserved,” the insider said.”

Media Bistro reports:

“Ratigan is telling friends he chose to leave CNBC not so much to be the next David Letterman, but because he wants to continue pursuing a storyline which began on his CNBC broadcasts — the robbing of America.”

Here is the October 17, 2008 video of Ratigan going off on the systemic corruption.

See Fast Money, Faster Photoshop for the pre and post (de-Dylaned) Fast Money  Header.

UPDATE: NYT’s Bill Carter reports the ABC is not a done deal:

Mr. Ratigan said in a telephone interview Friday that despite rumors that he had an offer to move to ABC News, he had not made an agreement with any other network. “No deal is pending with anybody,” Mr. Ratigan said. “All options are being considered.”

ABC could certainly be one of them, he said. Asked why he would walk away from a successful program where he had built a reputation for fast and funny delivery of the day’s financial news, Mr. Ratigan said, “I had the benefit of my contract coming to an end. This is an opportunity to take a pause and evaluate all my options.”

Sources:
CNBC’s Dylan Ratigan leaving `Fast Money’
The Associated Press,  March 27 2009

‘FAST’ FLARE-UP RATTLES CNBC
Paula Froelich
NY Post, FRIDAY, March 27 2009

Dylan Ratigan Departing CNBC
TV Newser, MAR 27 2009

Dylan Ratigan of CNBC’s ‘Fast Money’ Leaves Network
BILL CARTER
NYT: March 27, 2009

Category: Markets

63 Responses to “CNBC’s Dylan Ratigan to ABC”

1. Mike in Nola says:

He’s one of the better people there. No “LOL” comments.

2. greg says:

They let Dylan leave, and keep Maria Bartiromo? It seems CNBC is as well managed as AIG. This will probably go down as most of these moves do. We have not heard the last of Dylan Ratigan, but we have probably heard the last of Susan Crack Hour.

3. Mannwich says:

CNBC is the BAC or C of financial “news”. Pushing out it’s true best and brightest, while mediocre and talentless clowns like Kneale, Bartiromo and Kudlow prosper.

4. franklin411 says:

Agreed to all on all comments. Ratigan is top notch, and I’ll follow him wherever he goes except FBN–and I’m 110% sure he’d never go there!

5. franklin411 says:

PS–Here’s a link to the old Fast Money picture with Ratigan in it, for comparison purposes:

6. tom says:

i never cared for dylan.

7. greg says:

Tom, you may leave this site now, if you’re going to spew that type of venom. ;>)

8. DC says:

It wouldn’t be a surprise to see a bidding war between ABC and CBS, maybe even CNN. The story of how CNBC/GE/WSJ and the Wall Street Establishment (mostly) missed the pending disaster will be told and retold (as with Barry’s book).

Love him or hate him, Dylan Ratigan has first-person knowledge of CNBC editorial decisions. One can only imagine how nervous their executives are tonight. The great data dump looms and it should be one helluva story.

9. cvp says:

Too bad. He was the only male eye candy on CNBC. Now I’m left with the likes of Dennis Neale. Ugh in so many ways. I hope Ratigan shows up somewhere else soon. (But like franklin411, I’m not watching him if he winds up on FBN. You hear that Ratigan?)

10. Steve Barry says:

I remember Ratigan from before his CNBC days…on Bloomberg radio…seemed to be a cheerleader back then. No wonder CNBC hired him. But he did develop some backbone recently that probably got him in hot water. Better for him to be out of that place. One thing I hated though were his ad-libbed walks on the NYSE floor as the market was closing, him talking off the top of his head making little sense. Seemed very smarmy.

11. Chief Tomahawk says:

Well that sucks.

I recall Dylan’s first CNBC days anchoring “Bullseye!” That show s*cked and rightfully bit the dust. However the wise decision was made and a new vehicle, Fast Money, was created for Dylan.

I hope they fire Krakower asap. Ratigan leaving should’ve never have happened, nor should’ve Bolling going as well.

And as someone pointed out above, at least Ratigan was balanced. Mario Bartiromo would breathlessly celebrate a 3% up day on the DOW after a Fed rate cut, failing to note the dollar lost 3% in value the same day. Ratigan would at least point out the dollar’s fall when reporting the day’s action. Dylan will be missed, but obviously ABC knows his value.

12. Chief Tomahawk:
    She topped that the day last year when the Dow was down 300 for most of the day only to stage a crazy last hour rally that brought to market barely positive for the day. Just lets say that Jenna Jameson couldn’t have faked it any better.

13. greg says:

I will be very surprised if the rest of the Fast Money crew hang around much longer. Steve Barry…did you see Pisani trying to do Dylans ad-libbed walk today at 3:59? Now that made no sense..he can’t really walk and talk at the same time.

14. Bob A says:

the whole stock market as sporting event thing doesn’t work for me…

always breathless, stutturing, embellishing… as whatever it is they’re saying at that
    particular moment means jack shit anyhow…

good luck nevertheless

15. franklin411 says:

Bob,
    Does any of the commentary at a sporting event matter?

16. fenner says:

Dylan is far and away the most articulate, smartest talking head who has taken on this crisis like nobody else. This is an incredible shame. It’s hard to believe that he’s being let go for the reasons purported. He’s too important to the show. It must have something to do his going off on the powers that be about this crisis.

17. philipat says:

Sounds directly analagous to a certain book having to change publishers because of Corporate and Wall St. sensitivities.

18. traderneal says:

Ratigan is full of shit. He was a cheerleader the rest of CNBC unti the market started going down in spades and finally jumped on the bandwagon. The only people on that station who have any morals or any sense of dignity are Macke, Faber and Santelli. Haines drank the Kool-aid years ago.

19. Pat G. says:

“but because he wants to continue pursuing a storyline which began on his CNBC broadcasts — the robbing of America.”

I mentioned here a couple of weeks ago that Ratigan was beginning to “get it”. I noticed a change in both his delivery and the substance of his questions of regulars and “frequent” guests. Good for him. I guess we know now, how he really feels.

20. rktbrkr says:

Dylan wasn’t a cheerleader like nearly everybody else on CNBC (except Mark Haines) – so he was expendable. Maria would be broadcasting in cheerleader outfit if it hadn’t shrunk. It’s an entertaining show and should be OK if the guys don’t try to outshout each other to steal the spotlight. They’ll probably replace Dylan with a piece of fluff to be PC.

21. Pat G. says:

@ rktbrkr

It didn’t shrink, she ate it. lol

22. greg says:

Pat G. Now that’s funny. I think she ate the whole squads outfits.

23. Pat G. says:

@greg

Could be. You never know.

24. call me ahab says:

Hey Barry- can you explain one more time how handsome Dylan is- I think you must have come pretty close to saying stud muffin.

25. dss says:

Ratigan was a conservative cheerleader until he hit the trifecta of the House of Cards melt down, Obama being elected, and his contract ending. Life as he knew it ceased to exist, except he is intelligent and talented enough to know when to fold them.

If McCain had been elected he would still be foaming at the mouth with the rest of the morons. Like Chris Matthews, he saw the writing on the wall and decided that it was time to pretend some moral high ground and act all fair and balanced.

It’s all about the money, folks. While some of the whores might be more talented than others, they are still whores who sell themselves to the highest bidder. It is amazing how many changes in conscience occur when their paycheck is involved.

26. dan10400 says:

well, i find it odd the timing of the “breakup”. right after he starts coming on strong about the receipients of AIG money, including GS and foreign banks, getting 100%. he spent quite a bit of his time on the closing bell segment, as well as the following fast money segment basically drilling everyone why should these guys gets 100 cents on the dollar when everyone else is taking big haircuts.

wrt GS, it is interesting that they purportedly hedged their CDS contracts for MBS securities with AIG by buying AIG CDS contracts. so not only did they get 100 cents on the dollar, they also got paid out in full.

27. Trainwreck says:

Mr Ratigan was one of a few people at CNBC that I actually respected. Good for him for making this move. And good luck to him being an honest voice in a world of bullshit.

28. MRegan says:

So good for Dylan. He got away. Hope he saved up some dough. And maybe he can do something useful now. Like O’Donnell told you, use your ‘inside voice’.

Alexis Glick. Anyone remember her stint on CNBC back 4 or 5 years ago? She did a report on the market makers/specialists and revealed a little bit too much of the game. The very next day she read a retraction on air self-correcting (Humberto Padilla was forced to do something similar in Cuba) and then interviewed a woman from the NYSE’s board to drive home the point. It was the saddest and most nauseating thing to watch, but it removed the last scales from my eyes once and for all.

29. MRegan says:

Ok I get it.

30. Moss says:

Great news. I hope he keeps up the crusade for the truth! He is one of the only ‘voices’ with guts to call it like it is He really never pandered to anyone or any ideology unlike the majority of the others.

31. Jojo says:

Bet he shows up on The Daily Show w/Stewart next. If he can talk honestly, that would be a coup for Stewart and a good follow-up to his Cramer/CNBC smackdown.

32. DL says:

I don’t think that Ratigan was really a cheerleader for the markets. He tended to be much more dispassionate about market direction than his colleagues. For that he deserves some credit.

On the negative side, I found him to be rather circumlocutious; not nearly as concise as he should have been.

Also on the negative side was his very enthusiastic endorsement of the $800B TARP last September; he was unwilling to admit that there could be any other course of action.

33. 12jc says:

So Ratigan is gone. Well that will free up my time between 5:00 and 6:00. As for the rest of the day I suspect I’ll have Bloomberg on even more then I do now. Unfortunately for CNBC, they are running out of competent anchors. Except for Haines the rest of their anchors should probably limit themselves to anchoring a cooking show and do their viewers a favor.

BTW Thanks MRegan for the post. I do remember Alexis Glick and have long wondered why she left. Evidently CNBC just prefers keeping the brain-dead cheerleaders like Bartarimo, Neale and Kudlow.

34. Chris Whalen says:

It is pretty clear to me that CNBC is drinking the Kool Aid when it comes to the crisis. The coverage on CNBC is becoming more pro-Obama, pro-regime every day. I can see why CNBC executives were uncomfortable with Dylan because they are so busy kissing up to Obama et al. It is really quite amazing. I predict that Larry Kudlow, other conservative “holdovers” from the GOP period will be out of CNBC before year-end. “The times they are a changing…”

35. StatArb says:

Chris Whalen —

the Messiah is here and we all need to kneel before him now

36. Chris Whalen says:

Yes Mark, but Alexis is truly hideous, IMHO. One cannot do an interview with Alexis, one can only listen in amazement.

37. Chris,

it’s why I linked to her blog, your POV becomes obvious upon reading it..

38. and, to be clear, I meant : upon reading AG’s weblog, Whalen’s take, on her, becomes obvious..

GE really misfired when they didn’t choose her to replace Couric, on “Today”–but that, prob., would have ruined the Soma-effect–too much thinking– of “Dreamtime TV” ..

39. Moss says:

The ‘free marketers’ blew it. The bitter taste left in those mouths will linger until they themselves realize that they prepared the cool aid, of a different flavor, now discontinued. The cause and effect lesson is valuable here.

40. call me ahab says:

Donny Deutsch has been on CNBC for quite a while- “The big Idea” I think it was called.

41. Bob the unemployed says:

I hope he lands on his feet in a good spot. His style did not fit in with the entertainment-oriented style of CNBC. He needs to be in a place that values news and research.

42. Moss,

see this, as ex.: http://www.thefederalregister.com/d.p/2009-03-27-E9-6816

when was the last time the ‘Federal Register’, actually, shrank, in regard to # of pages?

IOW, how do you mean: “The ‘free marketers’ blew it” ?
    ~~

and, if ‘farmera1′ is about, that link, paid for by his taxes, could help him pay his taxes..

43. call me ahab says:

Moss says: “The ‘free marketers’ blew it”

Sorry Hoffer- have to agree with Moss on this point- we wouldn’t be going through all this if “the bankers” had been more staid and conservative in their investment strategies instead of looking for quick “mega billions”. They really f*cked us all.

44. MRegan says:

Recalling AG had no other intention but to note the fecklessness that has seized the business media. I don’t have anything for or against her…don’t watch her, it seems to me that she was effectively ‘lobotomized’ by TPTB.

The people at CNBC sometimes seem like animals at a zoo milling around their cages, they on occasion exhibit a deep sadness, as if their own bodies can barely hide the revulsion they feel.

Mr. Whalen- I recently forwarded a pdf of your presentation to the AEI on CDS’s to a some relatives of mine, all tragically Irish. Although I heard nothing back, I sure it was very well received. I hope you don’t mind that dissemination of your work.

MH-

Thanks for the link. Have your ever heard of Dust Networks?

45. guru says:

I’m sorry if I offend but I just couldn’t take Dylan on his soap box anymore ranting and raving about the “raping” of the American Taxpayer and calling for someone … anyone’s head. He sounded so pompous it got to be nauseating.

He wound rail on and on, repeating himself over and over, searching and digging for another way to say the same thing. Who did he think he was to moralize and speak on behalf of all of us? Who gave him the authority to be prosecutor, jury, judge and executioner? Who authorized him to convert a stock market information show into his own personal editorial forum?

Was I better informed about how I should handle my personal finances as a result of his diatribes? I don’t think so!

46. MR–

re: DustNet, sure, why, what’s up?

ahab,

differin’ opines, and all that, though, maybe if we knew as much about ‘the bankers’ as we do CNBC, ‘this’ wouldn’t have happened..

I’ll bet we don’t know how long this Man: “Whoever controls the volume of money in any country is absolute master of all industry and commerce.” James A. Garfield, (1831-1881) 20th President of the United States
    was in office…

by the way, “how do you mean: “The ‘free marketers’ blew it” ? is just a Q:

this: “…After ten years of wholesale financial deregulation, bad policies and unsound banking practices, and facing a worsening recession, over the last year and a half the U.S. government has been pumping trillions of dollars in order to deleverage and recapitalize banks that were on the brink of insolvency. But the banking crisis is of such a magnitude, and the damage done to the financial system so widespread, that each pumping of money into the system has never seemed to be enough. This is because numerous American financial institutions, and among the largest, have suffered multibillion-dollar losses, not only with subprime mortgages, but especially with large amounts of derivative products that have turned sour. Not the least of these are the famous gambling products called credit default swaps, (CDS), [which the Bank of International Settlements is reporting to be worth some $57 trillion…”

though, in what is being described, doesn’t strike me as tremendously ‘free market’..

47. franklin411 says:

Who would you fire immediately if you were head of CNBC? Here’s my list:

Charlie Gasparino (I’d make his firing a condition of my contract, actually)
    Rick Santelli
    Dennis Kneale
    Maria Caruso-Cabrera
    Maria Bartiromo
    Tim Seymour
    Jeff Macke

48. jwc says:

My top three for firing at CNBC, Larry Kudlow, Dennis Kneale, and Maria Bartiromo. if you gave me an extra, Maria Caruso-Cabrera.

I used to watch Fast Money, now that is just more time I will spend at Bloomberg. I sure wish they would change their ticker, I like the bar at the top of CNBC. (Except when the add the bright yellow.)

49. MRegan says:

MH-
    Cargill is one of their investors and although I don’t have detailed info they must be involved in soy in Brasil. Some of the notions you noted elsewhere seemed to me to resonate with Dust’s systems. Just an idle notion.

franklin411-
    I can understand the dislike you may have for some on your list, but understand that in many ways the behavior they exhibit (which bothers you so much) is not entirely all their fault. They operate in a very confined space. The structure in which they find themselves is a monstrousity. Reflect on all the surgery that Maria Caruso-Cabrera subjected herself to. She wasn’t hideous, and as a news reporter her image shouldn’t serve the purpose of arousing men. The philosophies that drive the decision-making at these outlets deforms people, inside and out. Certainly some are complicit in the violence that is done to them, but I would recommend you consider the people on that list with an eye to encouraging them to engage in more truthfulness. Hell, I don’t know maybe they aren’t reachable. When I contemplate guys like Joe Kernen and know that he received a Jesuit education and still thinks like a Dominican from the 12th century…

50. MR–

this: http://www.meatpoultry.com/news/daily_enews.asp?ArticleID=101089

should explain the link..

“Progress being made to implement global animal identification and product traceability was addressed by The World Organization for Animal Health (O.I.E.) and its members at the O.I.E. International Conference on Animal Identification and Traceability.

“Discrepancies between national identification of live animals and traceability systems of animal products make it difficult to trace products of animal origin throughout the food chain at the world level; developing countries risk losing out on market access because of trade barriers that sometimes are put in place as a result of these discrepancies,” said Dr. Bernard Vallat, O.I.E. Director General. “The best way to prevent this is for all countries to progressively implement international standards, such as those of the O.I.E. and Codex.”

During the conference, participants confirmed the need to strengthen the …”

168. Track n’ Trace, coming to a Globe near you..

Every thing, no matter the source, to be chipped, you know “for your protection”

DustNet, is right on Time, and, soon, to be on much else..

51. oh, and MR–

re: Cargill, it’s more than Soy..

see: “If the acquisition had been approved by the Justice Department, it would have made JBS the largest beef company in North America as well as in the world, followed by Tyson’s IBP division and Cargill’s Excel unit. Antitrust concerns from the federal government about concentration in the meat industry have a long history, dating back to the 1920s when successful antitrust efforts forced the so-called “Big Five” meatpackers in Chicago to give up their non-meat interests in railroads and other businesses. More recently, the Justice Department has been concerned about concentration among beef packers going back to the 1980s. For more than 20 years the beef industry has been dominated by four packing companies which together control more than 80 percent of the beef slaughter capacity in the U.S…”\

they’re huge in Animals, vertical integration, and all, you know..

52. BG says:

It’s going to be interesting to listen to the ad-libs from the other players on Fast Money. Melissa Lee will do fine. I think CNBC was trialing her a couple of week backs and she passed with flying colors. But I will miss Dylan as the host.

With CNBC, I think there are lot of people that would like to watch this network more if it were not so politically skewed to the far-right. Let’s face it. The Wall Street crowd is a minority in this Country and the rest of us work a more normal life in which we only get what we work for and don’t get paid on hot-tips, schemes and highly-guarded, esoteric information.

Having said that, a lot of viewers are looking for balance from this network. I think that is the main reason CNBC’s programming moves toward the left at 8PM EST. After listening to Larry Kudlow and his minions, most people are so disgusted they are ready to tell the whole crowd to go get fucked. With Larry, it is all about class warfare. It always has been. For example, I have never seen Larry so PO and upset as one Friday night when a debate occurred with a guest as to whether Larry was more deserving of a lower tax rate than that of his maid. Larry went totally ballistic! If the guest had been on set, I think fists would have been thrown.

But anyway, I think Dylan along with the programming after 8PM gives more balance to an network that is so controversial. CNBC is catching a lot of flack and outrage from some of its view points and coverage and as a result is probably seeing a significant drop in viewership. If the Pubs had won the White House, the new programming at 8PM would have never happened. CNBC finds themselves on the outside looking in so-to-speak with Dems now in control. They were just hedging their bets, that’s all.

A loss of Dylan is a loss in balance, truthfulness and clarity. I wish him well and will follow him to wherever he pops up.

Good Luck Dylan!!

53. MRegan says:

MH-

Well, I am bummed out. ; )

If you can tag ‘em, you can fake the tags, I suppose. Thanks.

54. sabbadoo32 says:

This leaves Steve Leisman and Deutch as the only non-brain dead left at CNBC

55. MR–

with this: http://www.us-analytics.com/index.php/practices-home-menu

as a starting point, and key words: Data Mining/Data Warehousing, Analytics, Self-Aware Networks, Genetic Algorithms, Facial Recognition Systems, CCTV, Biometrics, Petaflop speed parallel processing

for starters, forget it, you can fake the ‘chip’, you can’t fake the other ~10 inputs..

this: http://www.gpsdaily.com/reports/New_GPS_Satellite_Declared_Operational_For_Users_Worldwide_999.html
    should give intro, enough, to understand why Lockheed-Martin is heavily pimpin’ “Smart Grids”, as well..

56. Stuart says:

A fantastic radio interview with Dylan Ratigan here… about 15 minutes long. MUST listen too. No wonder he didn’t see eye with CNBC. Was done on Feb 7th, 2009

57. ben22 says:

for me.

this isn’t news, who cares.

58. rileyx67 says:

Agree with those disappointed, and my Yellow Lab Molly shares the same. Had always given her a biscuit at 3pm (Central), and decided to see if she’d alert to the closing bell, so began “de-muting” as approached. Within a couple days, she got the association, but then after a few more, she began sitting up and staring at Dylan’s closing just before the bell. Never interested in Animal Planet, but a huge fan of Dylan!

59. EAR says:

Chris Whalen Says:
    March 28th, 2009 at 9:35 am

“It is pretty clear to me that CNBC is drinking the Kool Aid when it comes to the crisis. The coverage on CNBC is becoming more pro-Obama, pro-regime every day. I can see why CNBC executives were uncomfortable with Dylan because they are so busy kissing up to Obama et al. It is really quite amazing. I predict that Larry Kudlow, other conservative “holdovers” from the GOP period will be out of CNBC before year-end. ‘The times they are a changing…’”
    StatArb Says:

March 28th, 2009 at 9:46 am

Chris Whalen —

“true enough , and hiring Donny Deutsch’s liberal view was the first broadside to the Free Marketers

the Messiah is here and we all need to kneel before him now”

No.. not true… at all. What are you drinking while you watch CNBC? I hope you’re drinking or smoking something to come to the conclusion that the network is now pro-O and the conservatives are now under siege. This is more expedient delusion and it’s getting tedious. As much as you need feel like it is, this isn’t some sort of indiscriminate and wanton liberal takeover. You aren’t witnessing a revolution where one dogma is trying to eviscerate the other taking anyone who protests down with it. And you definitely aren’t pragmatic outside observers of a messiah led movement blindly followed by legions of people less savvy than you.

It’s simple, people want a new perspective. A new approach. The GOP has had plenty of time in power in the past three decades to perfect the Union and make the world a better place, how’d they do? It’s a change of direction that was forced by an unsustainable path. This is the danger of pointing or wagging you finger at liberals or conservatives or whatever. If you’ve picked a side, come up with constructive, intelligent ideas that reflect a pure dedication to the label you choose to apply to yourself. Otherwise, you’ve joined the choir of complainers, the sound of those who have nothing to say is deafening these days.

Ratigan is a smart and charismatic dude who made CNBC’s most enjoyable show pop and occasionally made MBart squirm, both good things. But he was pompous, his interview questions were too long and leading and I thought he should have donned a powdered wig with all of his soapboxin’.

Next thing he does will probably be good but his initial move in his next endeavor should be to acknowledge his participation in the environment he now assails.

With that said, I have to agree with ben22.

60. mark mchugh says:

Oh come on now, CNBC is stacked with talent, like……um……well, there’s always……don’t forget about…….got it, Michelle Caruso-Cabrera (she’s stacked, anyway).

I’ll follow Dylan wherever he lands. It was nice to have a voice that shared the common man’s outrage. Maybe he can take Faber with him, they seem to be the only one’s interested in reporting.

61. Andy Tabbo says:

My evolution away from CNBC is now complete. Fast Money was the only show I watched, more for Macke, Ratigan and Guy. I used P.Najarian as a reliable fade whenever he’s foaming.

D. Ratigan was probably the smartest and most articulate anchors they had. I happen to think M. Francis is probably second….

CNBC is really terrible. My life and trading has been better since turning it off.

62. Ratigan Cheerleader says:

My financial fantasy boyfriend cannot emerge on another network too soon to suit me. I just want his straight talk assessments on my TV like yesterday.

Apparently he is bound by a CNBC contractural agreement that will not allow him to accept a TV position and develop an outlet for somewhere between 3 to 6 months.