Ok, kids, the long awaited site upgrades are here: A near final version of the artwork is below, its 95% of what you will see soon.

Allow me to walk you through the highlights:

1. Flash Header is dead:  Yes, the way-cool but much-hated flash software header — an homage to Clockwork Orange/Robot Chicken — is no more. In its place is the simpler artwork you see below — much simpler and less colorful;

2. Header made smaller:  As so many of you had requested, the new header is much tighter and smaller — about 30% less vertical space; The 6 multi-colored wide spaced tabs have been replaced with 4 integrated tabs;

3. New content:  I am very jazzed about the new content — its all killer (no filler):

a) Macro Notes: Miller Tabak’s Market Strategist Peter Boockvar gets a special slot in the right hand column called Macro-Notes. This will be 5 to 10 short updates every day regarding the latest economic releases, market action, and other relevant observations.

This blog-within-the-blog addition will insure that breaking news and fresh content will always be on the front page. Peter does terrific work, and I am sure you will find his content intelligent and informative as I do.

b) Think Tank: The Cafe has been expanded — and I want to make sure that it is understood that this reflects a a variety of perspectives — including views I find interesting and provocative (though I may not always agree with); Look for 2 to 3 posts per day here form a short roster of my favorite analysts and strategists.

c) Weekend: All that fun stuff that “the book” pushed off the site? Its back, and on the tab called Weekend. Music, Gadgets, Films, Food &  Wine, Cars, Boats, Cigars, toys — essentially, the non work stuff you get enjoy on the weekends !

d) Category & Date Archive: As requested, archives by category and date have been added,  (lower portion, right hand column)

4.  Video Ranking:  I introduced a 5 star ranking for our video clips — I want to be able to have the crowd vote on the best stuff — eventually, the highest ranked videos will form an RSS feed.

5. Going Away: Jobs listings was a bust — that is retired. Digital media will be folded into Video and/or Weekend, depending upon the content.

Much of this redesign reflects your input. As always, share your feedback in comments!

Category: Weblogs

25 Responses to “Site Upgrade: The Big Picture 3.0”

1. sakhalinsk says:

Looks great. Looking forward to the expanded sections. Having lurked on this site for a good while now has certainly saved me a fair few dollars. The key for me is informative dissection of spun stats. What did we do before blogs? Keep up the good work.

2. Marcus Aurelius says:

Better. Less is more.

3. biatchio says:

Barry,

Love you like a fat lady loves cake!

The new layout looks very cool, looking forward to checking in early and often… just like voters in Chicago, only different ; )

I’ve turned on as many of my professional contacts as possible to you…cutting thru the immense BS has been a challenge over the past 18 months, but you have provided unusual clarity and I deeply appreciate it!

All the best to you & your family.

Best Regards,

David

4. Dennis says:

Are you running the blog at a loss?

This is the third significant upgrade I’ve seen in 2 years — you must be spending a lot of dev money on all this

5. Bob the unemployed says:

The site looks most excellent! I can’t wait to try it on for size.

6. Myr says:

It still looks top notch even though I’m a fan of the current set-up. The “voting on the videos” is a great idea. Maybe you can take the most popular video of the day and feature it on the front page either in a dedicated section, or simply as a post?…just an idea.

7. super_trooper says:

@Dennis
    How to get media attention:
    (i) set up a blog that gets “significant” number of visitor. (new school)
    (ii) publish a book (old school)
    Blog itself probably barely breaks even but….this generates business for their asset management unit.

8. KJ Foehr says:

I liked the old one better; I just thought it was too big and didn’t like the wasted black space at the very top.

Think Tank and folding Digital elsewhere are good ideas.

The new one needs a little flash. ;-)

Regardless, content is king, and you got that, so all will end well.

9. DL says:

KJ Foehr @ 9:55

“Regardless, content is king, and you got that…”

I would add that the quality of the content influences the participation of those who have knowledge and insights that are worthwhile. Better content begets more intelligent discussion (on balance)… a “virtuous cycle”.

10. Chief Tomahawk says:

A nominee for the header (and no, it’s not the Swedish Bikini Team…):

Saw the best copy of this photo in a World Book Encyclopedia today. The location is Babcock State Park in West Virginia.

11. Lee_in_DC says:

Considering I long ago ad-blocked your Flash header, I doubt I’ll be seeing your new one anyways. It looks like it’s still taking up too much vertical space up top.

BR: No more flash!

12. DL says:

Tomahawk @ 10:15

Pretty picture.

13. Chief Tomahawk says:

DL, if the World Book photo is a 10, what I posted above is a 7 or an 8. The World Book copy had much less of the lefthand shore, a little less on the right, more definition on the falls and mill, with a little better color. Can’t find it on the internet though…… Well can’t find through searching Google (I haven’t searched World Book’s site, and I suppose that would make sense. Off to try now…..

14. Terry says:

Some great fixes and additions.

15. babygal says:

Very nice!

16. BR,

in the Northern Hemisphere, Summer is soon to beckon..

any plans for TBP T-Shirts?

the combo theme of “The Big Picture”, and Bastiat’s “What is Seen, and What is Not Seen”

might be worthwhile..

I’m sure other would have many/better suggestions, as well..

past that, have you ‘test driven’ the new site on some ‘handhelds’?/over some shaky ‘wireless’ hook-ups?

17. Bob A says:

Nice… I uhhh

…. have a suggestion ….for next update

I wanna make that big picture box have dynamic tumbnails of videos and articles
    Kinda like the thumbnail view you get in windows explorer for a video or picture folder

18. WaveCatcher says:

All positive changes.

Love the Cafe and glad you are expanding upon it!

19. whskyjack says:

“much simpler and less colorful;”

I beg to differ. much better and now you have color instead of a cluttered mess. Glad to see you went out and got a graphic artist. Keep them around they make you look good. You’ re too big to look like your site was designed by you and your college buds.
    I like it. Good work

Jack

20. johnny says:

quite honestly I like the original look the best before site relocation. Anyway you can redo that here?

21. haileris says:

Very nice, looks great!

22. EAR says:

I’d read a lot of what I read here on loose leaf paper if I had to. Good time to upgrade, there’s much to know in times like these.

23. gregh says:

Will the macro notes be syndicated to RSS?

24. CPJ13 says:

Much improved Barry.

25. MikeG says:

A move in the right direction.
    But the header is still too big and has too much dead space, with the tabs much larger than they need to be.