- The Big Picture - http://www.ritholtz.com/blog -
Overstating Bailout Costs
Posted By Barry Ritholtz On July 21, 2009 @ 7:11 am In Bailouts,Mathematics | Comments Disabled
“The total potential federal government support could reach up to $23.7 trillion.”
Yesterday , we noted that the 23 Trillion dollar bailout was a “WTF number.”
The statement above really turns on your definition of the word “Support” — this is not the actual costs, but more of a measure of the total guarantees, loans, indemnifications and credit extended in all of the bailouts.
Floyd Norris  takes it apart — in detail — and reveals more hyberbole than actual expense, noting that number given in Congressional testimony “was vastly overblown.”
Key factors to getting to 23 trillion:
• It includes estimates of the maximum cost of programs that have already been canceled or that never got under way.
• It assumes that every home mortgage backed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac goes into default, and all the homes turn out to be worthless.
• It assumes that every bank in America fails, with not a single asset worth even a penny.
• And it assumes that all of the assets held by money market mutual funds, including Treasury bills, turn out to be worthless.
• It would also require the Treasury itself to default on securities purchased by the Federal Reserve system.
• Every dollar invested by the government in banks would have to become worthless
• The banks would have to default on securities guaranteed by the F.D.I.C.
• All the collateral posted by the banks to get loans from the Fed would also have to become worthless.
Bottom line: In reality, we are unlikely to get anywhere near that number . . .
Big Estimate, Worth Little, on Bailout 
NYT, July 20, 2009
Article printed from The Big Picture: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog
URL to article: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/07/overstating-bailout-costs/
URLs in this post:
 Yesterday: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/07/total-bailout-cost-237-trillion-dollars/
 Floyd Norris: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/21/business/economy/21bailout.html
Copyright © 2008 The Big Picture. All rights reserved.