So far, auto buyers in the U.S. have signed contracts to trade in 358,851 clunkers for new vehicles, stimulated in large part by government rebates of up to $4,500.

AP reports that most of the trade ins have been pickups/SUVs. And what are they driving ff the lots in exchange?

1. Toyota Corolla
2. Honda Civic
3. Ford Focus
4. Toyota Camry
5. Toyota Prius
6. Hyundai Elantra
7. Ford Escape (front-wheel-drive)
8. Honda Fit
9. Nissan Versa
10. Honda CR-V (four-wheel-drive)

Interestingly, there are 3 Hondas, 2 Fords, 2 Toyotas — but no General Motors or Chryslers on the list . . .

Source:
Top 10 vehicles bought by people trading clunkers
Associated Press, August 18, 2009

“Cash for Clunkers” Sales on the Rapid Decline
Edmunds.com, August 18, 2009

Category: Bailouts, Economy

46 Responses to “Top 10 Cash-for-Clunkers Vehicles”

1. Mannwich says:

And all are cheaper, “economy” cars. I love my ’02 Corolla. Only has 77,000 miles on it. Will drive it into the ground.

Looks like “Zombie Motors” (GM and Chrysler) may not have been worth saving? Big shocker.

2. GB says:

Why do we support GM if people won’t trade their 20 year old hulks for them. ;-)

Really makes me wonder what demographic is using this program.

3. crushedbyadwarf says:

actually 3 Toyotas…

4. GB says:

Makes me wonder if the people that wanted new GM vehicle got it with the zero percent deals they had a few years ago. I know a few that did.

5. JohnDoe says:

I thought that to be eligible for the program the clunker had to have less than 18 mpg? Civic, Corolla, Camry and PRIUS get less than 18mpg? Seriously how is the Prius a clunker.

P.S. Barry can you please stop moderating my comments, it takes too long for them to be posted and then they get lost in the mix. Thanks

BR: I will submit it to the troll committee

6. HCF says:

@GB:
    > Really makes me wonder what demographic is using this program.

I’m guessing it is frugal people who were driving beaters and couldn’t turn down a ‘free’ $4500 off a car they could already afford. This is precisely why I think that cash for clunkers is only stealing future demand…

HCF

7. JohnDoe says:

oops, nevermind that is what they are driving off the lots in. sorry.

8. DeDude says:

A more important issue is that the new cars purchased on average have been getting 9.5 miles more per gallon. That will help the programs original goals to be far better than expectations. Ford and GM must have gotten a god piece of the pie since both have had to call people back to work and increase overtime.

9. Jpjr says:

Why do people love bashing GM so much? So they don’t have a top 10 “vehicle”, but they had the highest cash-for-clunkers total sales until Toyota passed them a few days ago. On a global sales basis, GM has narrowed the gap with Toyota this year and could actually retake its throne with a strong Fall. Now I’m not advocating this as a good business strategy, just pointing out that when you don’t cherry pick the facts, you see that some people (i.e., millions) still want to drive GM vehicles.

10. cvienne says:

Wait until FIAT starts spinning out cinquecentos here!

That ought to really get ‘em motivated…LOL

Actually, in an EXTREMELY ODD way, it might work… People are just… WEIRD!

11. leftback says:

Mainly higher mileage cars. Anyone else think oil is in a bubble here? End of summer driving season ahead…

12. karen says:

But, but, but yesterday it was reported that, “DETROIT (Dow Jones)–General Motors Co. said Tuesday it plans to increase North American production by 20% in the fourth quarter and put 1,350 employees back to work.

Demand fueled by the U.S. government’s “Cash for Clunkers” rebate helped GM beat its forecast for the second half of 2009.”

13. Mortimus says:

Can we count the # of cars they’re going to sell in the Fall/Winter on our hands? I’m not sure what’s going to be “inflationary” next year when these companies have to slash prices by 40-50% to sell a single vehicle.

This really is shaping up to be a “Costanaza” recovery

TIMMY: Did…did you just double-dip that chip?
    GEORGE: Excuse me?
    TIMMY: You double-dipped the chip!
    GEORGE: “Double-dipped”? What are you talking about?
    TIMMY: You dipped the chip. You took a bite. And you dipped again.
    GEORGE: So…?
    TIMMY: That’s like putting your whole mouth right in the dip! From now on, when you take a chip – just take one dip and end it!
    GEORGE: Well, I’m sorry, Timmy…but I don’t dip that way.
    TIMMY: Oh, you don’t, huh?
    GEORGE: No. You dip the way you want to dip… I’ll dip the way I want to dip.

14. manhattanguy says:

S&) will see 960 soon. Back on $COF short. Think $COF might be slaughtered coming fall.

15. cvienne says:

@manhattanguy

I bought some LT-OTM COF puts the other day at 4.40, and doubled down at 4.10 yesterday…

I’ve got a Bid/ASK of 4.30/4.50 now…Time to beat that mule!

16. Niskyboy says:

Lighter cars such as many of the models on this list do get better mileage, but the tradeoff is that insurance costs are greater because they suffer more damage in accidents (e.g. Honda Civic versus Accord, say).

Also, people in lighter cars have more injuries and die more often than people in heavier cars. Armor is a good thing! It would be interesting to find a way to track how many people die or become severely injured in the next couple of years in the new cars they bought under Clunkers program, versus comparative historical data info for the types of vehicles traded in under the program.

17. beaufou says:

Interestingly Barry,
    it seems not that many people were interested in GM before CFC or government take-over.
    Why would they start now?

18. EricTyson says:

Edmunds identified a major flaw in the gov’t data … Honda and Toyota only claimed two of the top 10 spots – the other eight actually went to American car companies.

Edmunds.com: Top Clunker Buys
    The most purchased vehicles under Cash for Clunkers if 2WD and 4WD versions are included.
    Rank Vehicle Includes Includes 4WD Includes Hybrid
    1 Ford Escape Yes Yes
    2 Ford Focus No No
    3 Jeep Patriot Yes No
    4 Dodge Caliber Yes No
    5 Ford F-150 Yes No
    6 Honda Civic No Yes
    7 Chevrolet Silverado Yes Yes
    8 Chevrolet Cobalt No No
    9 Toyota Corolla No No
    10 Ford Fusion Yes Yes

I submitted this at 11:24 am – let’s see how many hours this sits in the awaiting moderation heap…

19. manhattanguy says:

Good for you CV. AXP and other card companies would love to see COF fail. If consumer situation doesn’t improve, they might go down the Lehman path.

20. EricTyson says:

The discrepancy is a result of the methods used. Edmunds.com uses traditional sales measurements, tallying sales by make and model. The government uses a more arcane measurement method that subdivides models according to engine and transmission types, counting them as separate models.

21. cvienne says:

@Niskyboy

“It would be interesting to find a way to track how many people die or become severely injured in the next couple of years in the new cars they bought under Clunkers program, versus comparative historical data info for the types of vehicles traded in under the program.”

Good way to keep the personal injury lawyers fat & happy, and keep their lobby $$ rolling into campaign contributions!

22. KevinM says:

EricTyson Says: August 19th, 2009 at 11:23 am

———————————————————————————————————————–

Negative 1 minute… Did atomic powered DeLorian make the clunker list?

23. cvienne says:

@manhattanguy

I’ve got until 2011 for that to hopefully play out…If it did it would be a 3o bagger (times a couple of bones)…

24. cvienne says:

@KevinM

I wonder if the Presidential Limo would make the list…(Probably would)… Can’t get much more than a couple of miles per gallon (unless it’s been outfitted with some new aerodynamic hubcaps or something)…

You could probably trade it in for a Prius…

25. update says:

Why do people love bashing GM so much?

Because they STOLE $100 BILLION DOLLARS FROM THE TAXPAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. IdiotInvestor2 says:

So US consumers buying Japanese cars with a loan from US taxpayers is good for US economy ?

27. cvienne says:

@II2

Makes sense to SOMEBODY…

& don’t forget to use the prefix “indebted” before you use the term “US consumers”…

28. Kort says:

@DeDude
    Where did you get the data that the new cars are getting 9.5 miles more per gallon? I didn’t think that data was available yet.

On a side note—for all of the people who had a reasonably well running, albeit a clunker, car with no car payments that now suddenly find themselves with a shiny new toy that costs them $300 per month for the next 5 years….I can only think the “Car Owner Bailout” will be on the agenda next Spring…

29. constantnormal says:

@IdiotInvestor2 11:40 am

Yes. That’s because the Japanese cars are actually made in the US, and the bulk of the purchase price goes back into workers’ pockets who happen to be American consumers and taxpayers. American cars tend to be built outside the US. The per-car profits going into the respective countries is a pretty small part of the total package.

This answer may be BS, but it’s not more so than the question.

In a free market, one should buy the best product for the best price, and leave nationalism in the closet where it belongs.

30. constantnormal says:

@update 11:38 am

please document your claim of $100B

31. Marcus Aurelius says:

IdiotInvestor2 Says:

______________

The US economy is the global economy (and vise versa). Globalization is a done deal. We’re just living the shake-out.

32. Pat G. says:

Best warranty? The Elantra. In addition, the front interior driver/passenger space meet or exceed (by my metrics) that of many medium sized vehicles. However, I was able to get my Sonata for less than an Elantra. Such a deal…

33. perogy says:

I am surprised to not see the VW Jetta TDI on the list. This car gets 30/41 mpg city/highway according to the window sticker but I am actually getting 38 mpg city and 47 mpg highway. After the engine is broken in, I expect to get 50+ on the highway driving between 65 and 70 mph.

34. constantnormal says:

@KevinM 11:32 am

it’s called HFP (High Frequency Posting), one of them new-fangled thangs.

35. [...] list from the Big Picture shows the top 10 cars purchased under the C4C [...]

36. davver1 says:

BR,

There was an article, I think on CNN, where somebody parsed the numbers on the clunkers program. In order to make it look like people were driving off in eco friendly sedans the government divided the trucks and SUVs into several additional categories to make sure they didn’t appear in the top 10 list. The article had a new list based on a more honest approach and many of the trade ins are simply to buy new SUVs (with slightly higher mileage of course).

37. davver1 says:

BR,

There was an article, I think on CNN or Time, where somebody parsed the numbers on the clunkers program. In order to make it look like people were driving off in eco friendly sedans the government divided the trucks and SUVs into several additional categories to make sure they didn’t appear in the top 10 list. The article had a new list based on a more honest approach and many of the trade ins are simply to buy new SUVs (with slightly higher mileage of course).

38. DeDude says:

davver1; the average improvement is 9.5 miles/gallon. I doubt that is a slight improvement in anybody’s book. The program actually allowed for as little as 2 miles improvement for certain deals, so there are probably a few cases of big SUV to big SUV with slightly higher mileage, but that would have to be rather rare in order for the average improvement to be as high as 9.5.

39. nemo says:

“AP reports that most of the trade ins have been pickups/SUVs.”

In other words, people are getting rid of vehicles that were frivolous choices even back during good times.

Unless you’re a farmer, a contractor, or a cowboy, there is no good reason for anyone to drive a pickup truck. I know a few honest-to-god farmers, but most people I know who drive pickups are suburban wannabe cowboys. A pickup is usually a fashion statement, not a smart choice of vehicle.

And SUVS, don’t get me started.

40. aupanner says:

nemo, you’re flat out wrong. in my town, we haul our trash to the “transfer station”. right or wrong, b.s. or no b.s. , that is the crap we have to deal with. so, a pick up and/or suv has tremendous utility. some of us also have to haul away our yard waste to the transfer station if we don’t have a place to dump that on our property. those to uses, combined with the fact that are plenty of people who can and like to do their own home maintenance means that there are people other than farmers, contractors, or cowboys who find the pick-up to be useful. what’s the negative? 12,000 miles per year / 16 mpg x $3 per gallon = $2,250 per year gas expense. not exactly breaking the bank.

41. dnarby says:

Maybe there’s another reason… Perhaps GM isn’t participating?

Mmmmmaybe…

42. lalaland says:

Gm did sell the most total cars in cash/clunks.

Also, light cars have higher fatality rates mainly when hit by heavier cars, but they don’t have a rollover problem. If everyone drove lighter cars we would have lower fatality rates – it’s not armor, it’s a weapon.

And gm stole 100b? What about the goldman boys who manipulated oil prices to $147/barrel. Sales for american car makers plummeted, so their sales had dropped off a cliff 6 months before lehman failed. So wall street gets consumers to stop buying then totally fucks the economy and it’s GM’s FAULT?

I personally think the financial services industry should pay back the gm bailout, as well as unemployment benefits to states and foreclosure costs for prime mortgage holders. (easy to add to that list)

43. Jpjr says:

GM stealing $100BB is an uninformed argument. The sad reality is that inheriting GM pensions/benefit obligations would have been much more costly to taxpayers than bailing them out. I personally think the decision came down to simple math… and now we are right back to the pension/health care problem the US faces.

44. primordial_ooze says:

I traded in my 1989 Jeep Cherokee 4WD for a 2009 Hyundai Accent sedan. The
    Jeep had a combined mpg of 16, the Hyundai has a combined 29 mpg. The Jeep was
    my only vehicle. I paid cash for the Hyundai, $7921 including sales tax, prep fee.
    Why wouldn’t I do it? A good warranty, much less cost to operate. The Jeep is heavier,
    but the Accent has all the airbags, the Jeep none. I would have had to buy another vehicle
    in a year or two, but I would have been able to afford only a good used car, not a new one.
    This is my first new car. The Jeep polluted way, way more than the Hyundai does. This
    CARS program is great for someone like me who makes a middle class wage and has enough
    savings to pay cash.

45. [...] What are the ten best-selling cars in the Cash 4 Clunkers program?  (TBP) [...]

46. DeDude says:

primordial; even for those who don’t have the savings to pay cash, I have seen a lot of offers with payments of about $125/month for 72 months. However, just the savings in gas alone pays half of that amount. For people in your situation this was a great deal.