Pretty interesting comparo:

Courtesy of NYT

Source:
Where Yahoo Leaves Google in the Dust
RANDALL STROSS
NYT, August 22, 2009

Category: Financial Press, Web/Tech

19 Responses to “Yahoo Finance vs Google Finance”

1. Pat G. says:

I’ve said it before but it bears repeating; I personally like Yahoo better than Google. Guess I’m not the only one. Makes me wonder if Yahoo’s stock isn’t a little undervalued and Google’s; a lot overvalued? I know that there are factors other than “monthly visitors” which make up that calculation. But still…

2. call me ahab says:

prefer yahoo finance over google finance- also prefer msn money over google finance- had gmail for a while- but the format of it i could never get used to- now use yahoo and msft live for email- do use google chrome as my browser but w/ bing instead of google for search

mix and match

3. dcsos says:

people need to laugh at Ben Stein.
    Google will not help us do this.

4. constantnormal says:

I wonder how many of the “page hits” on Yahoo finance come from people with spreadsheets that extract Yahoo stock, option, and mutual fund quotes. Yahoo makes it a *lot* easier to do this than Google does, although I wonder just how long it will be before Microsoft sees an opportunity to monetize that service and starts charging and issuing passwords to enable access …

I run a nightly script that automatically downloads and archives the days’ activity on all the stocks I follow, and have an OpenOffice spreadsheet (you can do the same thing in Excel) that at the click of a button, updates all the prices on everything in every account and rolls it all into points on a chart. Years (decades?) ago, I used to spend about a half-hour every evening updating that sort of thing. Since I took the typist out of the loop, it all happens in a matter of seconds.

5. batmando says:

constantnormal at 5:26 pm
    care to share that script and the spreadsheet template?
    might be worth several rounds of drinks if those here who adopted them were each to stand you a round :^)

6. Whammer says:

I’ve been using Yahoo finance for years; I wanted to like Google finance, but it just isn’t anywhere near as good.

7. John from Concord says:

What Whammer said. I spent a week trying to like Google finance but it just didn’t work for me. Been hitting Y! Finance every day since 1997ish and I doubt I’ll stop anytime soon.

8. constantnormal says:

@batmando 5:42 pm

I’d need to sanitize them, and setup a place to allow them to be accessed — the setup they run under is OS X (although they could be adapted to other environments fairly easily even if you’re a mundane coder), with the spreadsheet being OpenOffice/NeoOffice. The general principles are pretty straightforward — here’s a url that explains the yahoo interface that supports it all:

And here’s a snippet from the OpenOffice user forum that shows an example that is pretty close to what I have (which is admittedly pretty crufty, having evolved over a number of years) …

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:38 am Post subject:
    Actually, it’s even easier than that:

Code:

‘Code from Learn OpenOffice.org Spreadsheet Macro Programming
    Sub Main
    get_stock_price_history “MSF.L”
    End Sub

Sub get_stock_price_history (iCompany_symbol as String)
    Dim oUrl as String
    Dim oDesk as Object
    Dim oDoc as Object
    Dim oPropertyValue(0) As New com.sun.star.beans.PropertyValue

oDesk = createUnoService (“com.sun.star.frame.Desktop”)

oUrl = “http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv” _
    & “?s=”& iCompany_symbol &”&e=.csv”

oPropertyValue(0).Name = “FilterOptions”
    oPropertyValue(0).Value = “44″
    oDoc = oDesk.loadComponentFromURL( oUrl, “_blank”, 0, oPropertyValue)
    End Sub

Mark
    _________________
    Mark B’s Articles

Windozers would probably need to install some sort of unix shell support, like cygwin, in order to get the shell command support and in particular, stuff like curl. And Excel macros can be setup to do this sort of thing even easier than OO (if OO macros can be said to be “easy”). Just google “excel yahoo finance macro quotes” and you’ll be well on the way with much better examples than my OO code (if you’re an Excel user).

Still interested?

9. fully diluted says:

Important note: “Google’s finance site offers something rather basic that Yahoo doesn’t: free real-time price quotations obtained directly from the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq … In my side-by-side comparison, the BATS quote on Yahoo for “YHOO” usually lagged Nasdaq’s on Google by a minute”. Google Finance IMHO is far superior. But I guess this just categorizes what type of investor each of us tend to be.

10. emmanuel117 says:

I wonder how much the Yahoo Finance message boards contribute?

11. deanscamaro says:

Put another mark up for Yahoo Finance for me.

12. bergsten says:

@batmando — You can fill in an Excel spreadsheet cell with a “web query” that will fill that cell with data returned from a HTML request.

Here’s one to return Cisco’s price:

The parameters are documented somewhere on the web — would have to rediscover where.

The “remainder” is an exercise for the reader.

13. constantnormal says:

@bergsten

That’s a clever way to do it, avoiding using curl to capture the returned data. The parameters are in the url I referenced earlier:

You can mix and match all kinds of things returned from the query — hi-lo-close, bid-ask, volume, last trade date, etc.

Easy enough to experiment using that url as the cell content and play around a bit.

14. constantnormal says:

I think this is an area where Google has really dropped the ball.

They have all these javascript toolkits, and don’t have an API that allows a person to retrieve stock info like Yahoo does?

To accomplish this same thing in Google, you pretty much have to code a screen-scraping macro and process the Google portfolio page of the stocks you are interested in. A tedious, ugly task. At least that’s how I see it. So long as Yahoo exists and makes the data as easily accessed as they do, I’ll continue to get it from them.

15. [...] out Barry Ritholtz’s take on the article and most interestingly, scroll down to the comments.  Most readers cite [...]

16. tawm says:

I agree with Fully Diluted — I use Google F to track real time quotes against my outstanding orders. Much better than Yahoo.

Constant Normal — I tried coding Excel cells (in Windoze) to grab updated quotes from Yahoo F, but it updated ALL versions of the spreadsheet — including older versions (i.e. past days, wiping out historical files) not just the current one. I searched unsuccessfully on the web for how to limit the update to one single file. Any leads or sources on how to correctly code that would be MUCH appreciated.

swimlaps123 at hotmail.com

17. Steve Hamlin says:

If you use Google Spreadsheet, which you publish as a dynamic webpage, you can use cool formulas like:

=GoogleFinance(G9;”price”)
    =GoogleFinance(B6,”marketcap”)/1000000
    =GoogleFinance(B13,”returnytd”)/100

More GoogleFinance functions

For an example, I track my positions at http://stevehamlin.org/investments which is a published Google Spreadsheet that updates every 30 seconds or so with live prices, volume, etc.

18. nenmoonia says:

I used to use yahoo but switched in the last month or two because of a number of problems with yahoo such as they were reporting incorrect prices for some stocks. That’s a big no no when pennies are important.

I like the real time pricing on google (much better than yahoo) but the only thing I hate about google is their complete lack of customizability in their portfolio. I can’t even move around my freaking columns! I can’t add other columns. I can’t change their looks, nothing. Its almost pathetic for a company like google who “wants to organize” the world’s data and screw up something like financial data which is extremely easy and commonplace to do.

19. [...] Yahoo Finance vs Google Finance | The Big Picture http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2009/08/yahoo-finance-vs-google-finance – view page – cached Pretty interesting comparo: > Courtesy of NYT > Source: Where Yahoo Leaves Google in the Dust RANDALL STROSS NYT, August 22, — From the page [...]