I just noticed we ticked through our 50 millionth visitor, and 65 millionth page view — pretty astounding stuff.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the success of The Big Picture: The thoughtful commentors, the Think Tank Authors, the designers who made the site look good, our programmers who made it slick, the reviews that told people about the place, and FM for putting the ads here that pays for the whole thing.

And, it took just 7 years to become an overnight sensation.

Category: Weblogs

43 Responses to “50 Millionth Visitor”

1. Mannwich says:

Congratulations Barry! Really excellent work.

2. Congrats, Barry! Seems like you’re soaking up the people disgruntled with the MSM.

Now it’s time to get your own show on CNBC and revive that place!

3. rickety rick says:

have enjoyed reading your site for 4 years and expressing a couple of opinions along the way.

congrats and much future sucess.

4. Bruce in Tn says:

Actually, I wouldn’t be here, but your momma called me and said I had to visit her little cubbybear’s web site….

…Sheeesh…

5. Good going, BR~

those kinds of #’s could make the case for BRIPTV, all by themselves..

more importantly, who knew that ‘lack of BS’ was, even, a desirable Commodity in today’s Marketplace?

maybe, that’s more Proof of the old adage: “Trends remain, until they don’t.”

6. SINGER says:

dude… you are the man!!! Long live TBP!!!

7. worth says:

Absolutely mind boggling that so damn many people (myself included) give enough of a crap about this stuff to keep coming back for more!
    On a traffic note, I’ve been paying attention to your reader counter at the top of the page for the last month or more. It had consistently been in the mid-40k’s, then maybe a couple of weeks ago it jumped to the mid-50k’s, and just today it’s getting near 80k. Wonder why that is?

Thanks, BR and co!

8. hop says:

Congrats!

Now can I redo your site to lessen the signal to noise? IMO, all that crap you have up there is distracting, annoying and takes away from your superb content!

BR: I am all ears — every redesign I have done has been with the feedback of the readers. In fact, the “Print this” and “email this” were reader suggestions.

Shoot me your suggested redesigns at thebigpicture -at- optonline dot- net.

9. Marcus Aurelius says:

Are we the commentators? If so — cool! (I’m putting that shit on my resume, along with being Time Magazine’s ‘Person of the Year’ in ’06). And I thought we were only commenters.

BR: Heh heh — I’ll fix . . .

10. Mazel Tov.
    I’m still working on my first one million

11. call me ahab says:

50 million- puleease- I am so use to hearing trillions that you might as well have said you just hit the milestone of 5 visitors-

when you hit a trillion-

send me a bulletin-

12. CNBC Sucks says:

Greetings Ritholtz, let your true friend The Great CNBC Sucks be the first on this thread to not smooch your behind on cue. I thought those figures would be bigger, like hundreds of millions of page views. The Great CNBC Sucks is approaching a half-million page views on 200 posts — which have not increased this entire year — and you have 65 million page views on over 10,000 posts. That means you have generated 130x the traffic with 50x the posts over a longer period of time and with infinitely more television and mass-media exposure.

Oh well, we make a great team anyway. :D

13. greg says:

What, no prize to the 50 millionth visitor?

14. leftback says:

Nice work, Barry, and only 49 million of them were webbots…. just kidding….

Classic subterfuge in the “free markets” this week, as GS called the GDP low, then annihilated the shorts today:

Not LB though, we were long today. It’s definitely wobbling though, volatility will creep up from here.
    :-)

15. Bruce in Tn says:

Well, much as I like your website I would hope you’ll continue the Friday night music and the afternoon “What have you been reading” segments. Sometimes when you post on “Why the Gross National Product of Ghana may have been skewed by a drop in Egyptian interest rates” I find I don’t have much to add to the discussion……

Thanks for the forum…

16. Bruce in Tn says:

I used that as an example since I couldn’t spell esoteric…

17. VennData says:

“…It just took seven years…”

18. Someone got the Zappa reference!

19. cacerolo says:

Congratulations and please keep the quality. Do not let the temptation of increasing the number of visitors become another CNBC.

20. Rock on Barry! May you hit your next 65 million page views in just half that time!

21. The Window Washer says:

Way to go Barry!
    Enjoy the ride. We have.

22. No BS says:

You’re welcome, Barry

Very soon we will all be 100 millionth visitor, simultaneously.

Been beneficiary of you blog for last 5 years. This blog has kept us from harms (CNBC’s) way. Thanks to you and most of your very intelligent and articulate commentators ( and comment) on this blog.

23. The Curmudgeon says:

I don’t often praise anything or anyone. You gots to be pretty god damn good to earn a Curmudgeon’s praise. But por instante, I will say that TBP is a beacon of reason in a foaming sea of irrationality.

I love ya’ Barry, in a man-love sort of way. Keep up the good work.

24. TakBak04 says:

Well!

As a Newbie poster…whose already gotten an “alert” for “Bad Comments/Spam” ….I’ve gotta congratulate you. And some of us newbies probably love those “esoteric wanderings.” That’s what brought us here, along with the comments by your long time readers who have their own group that is charming and engaging…including the every dissed Harry Wanger, the effervescent CNBC SUCKS and those like Civenne..(the body builder that keeps women’s butts from looking like ironing boards), Mannwich, Karen, the guy who posts RW STUFF disgused as Libertarian/Astrologer and the TRADERS…who mix in with the Sports Fanatics.

As a Newbie…I realize …not welcome (or, until we get to know ‘ya)…but sometimes I like to post stuff from PBS and Bill Moyers and stuff. Hey….CAN’T WE ALL GET ALONG? I enjoy DIVERSITY.

Good on you Barry. Now did you ever buy that Sports Car and are you looking for a home in Greenwich to rival those Hedge Fund Guru’s? Building? North Shore? It’s been great that you even asked opinions about this. I don’t think Paul Tudor Jones would have bothered.

It’s truly a unique site…and if you get newbies who don’t know the rules, like me…we can understand that “hand slap.” We will get with the way it flows eventually. Just don’t lock us out unless we truly become disruptors or sinister…….

It’s so good to see some in the financial community working for reform…that it shows how “movements” can morph and grow larger for GOOD of the PEOPLE!

25. ben22 says:

BR,

Congrats, that is really something. Very cool man, you earned it.

26. Marcus Aurelius says:

The Curmudgeon loves BR (not like that — like a Viking).

27. davossherman@gmail.com says:

You deserve everyone of those views and more. You have done a fantastic job. You are up there towards the top left of my iGoogle RSS reader. I don’t have cable, watching idiots like Maria, James and Dennis are a waste of time. Thank you, and 99% of your contributors for creating one of the best blogs.

28. insaneclownposse says:

Great work BR. This site is an invaluable resource for every investor. You’re the MAN!

29. bergsten says:

May your next 50 million be sooner, less crabby, and paid in US Dollars!

When and where is the Cast Party?

30. Space_Cowboy_NW says:

Congrats Senor Ritholtz on development of an outstanding bastion of intelligence, integrity, and honesty.

TBP is polar opposites of ‘The more we know, the less we understand’ garbage spewed via MSM mouthpieces.

May your offspring be as blessed & creative as you (and your wife)

31. DL says:

Today’s “quote of the day” provides a counterweight to some of the nostrums circulating around Washington these days.

32. tmcinerney says:

As stupidly non self-serving as this sounds — you should start charging us Barry…..

BR: Well, if you really feel like it, you can hit the Amazon Wish list!

33. clawback says:

BR,

I never really paid much attention to the markets until we became Bailout Nation, but I’ve been reading TBP ever since. Many thanks for the free education!

And thanks, also, to the regulars — Mannwich, Karen, leftback, ahab, and, even, the inimitable, if curmudgeonly, MEH.

Mazel tov, indeed.

34. Chief Tomahawk says:

BR, I believe CNBC is jealous of your stats!

35. call me ahab says:

Chief Tomahawk-

CNBCS is always jealous-

he is a very competitive person- and has just recently moved ahead of me on the Ritholtz fantasy football league- despite that i have substantially more points than he does-

but he is quite the whiner on the league-

always wants things his way-

quite the crybaby

36. Mannwich says:

@ahab: You guys are all wasting your time in that league. I’m quietly making my move and will win it all in the end. I easily have the most balanced team.

37. Chief Tomahawk says:

Rock on, AHAB!

I know nothing of fantasy “foosball” (nod to The Waterboy’s mumsy, played by Cathy Bates).

Can one win if they field a team of placekickers?

38. Clay says:

Thanks for the great job Barry. I have been following you for 6 or 7 years…..can’t remember for sure.
    Your honest deep seated analyses along with your Think Tank contributors have been a refreshing alternative to some of the MSM’s shallow-minded somewhat delusional analysis and commentary.

Please keep up the great work. You are much appreciated.

39. [...] Happy 50 millionth visitor to The Big Picture!  (TBP) [...]

40. wunsacon says:

You’re doing a great job, Barry. Fortunately, doing a great job can attract some eyeballs. (Like MEH I, too, keep thinking “BRIPTV” or a show will eventually become a reality. … Assuming that ever becomes something you want…)

41. beaufou says:

Congrats Barry, what are you for Halloween?

42. [...] Congratulations to Barry Ritholtz on his 50 millionth visitor.  (Big Picture) [...]