I will be incommunicado today, winging my way back from Berlin for acht und halben stunden (8 1/2 hours).  I wrote this back in 2005, but never published it widely.

Enjoy:

What sort of crap do you have lurking hidden on your iPod?

That’s the question I stumbled across from my old essays & effluvia blog. It was based on an article from The Arizona Republic, which asked:

“Those saccharine pop tunes and schmaltzy ballads cloaked from friends? There’s no excuse anymore. No blaming it on a CD that had just one song you liked. No claiming it belonged to your wife, husband or friend.You selected each and every tune. Like it or not, these are your greatest hits.

Now, let the melodic mocking commence.”

Those of you who have read me for a while know my musical tastes are wide-ranging, sharp, and ahead of the curve. (New visitors to TBP should check out our annual “best ofs” from the past few years).

But saccharine pop tunes and schmaltzy ballads hidden on the iPod?

Guilty as charged.

Not only do I have a slew of really embarrassing guilty pleasures on my pod, but they have actually found their way on to various mixes I’ve made. That means, no excuses.

How about you? What embarrassing ditties would your close friends be aghast about — if they knew? Since our big interactive musical discussion — Greatest American R&R Band — was so much fun, let’s take another swipe at it:

What are the most horrendous, embarrassing, guilty pleasures on your iPod?

I’ll start the HD spinning with my hidden collection of pathetic guilty pleasures (‘tho music snob that I am, I foolishly believe my guilty pleasures are superior to most people’s — indefensible as that position might be).

These lists go from least (10) to most (1) embarrassing.

Generally embarrassing pop orotherwise awful commercial song:

0911ipod 10. Semi-Charmed Kinda of Life, Third Eye Blind

6. Murder On The Dance floor, Sophie Ellis Bextor
Ipod_01a3lf56x564i5. Good Vibrations, Marky Mark
4. Steal My Sunshine, Len
3. That Don’t Impress Me Much, Shania Twain
2. I Just Want to Make Love to You, Foghat
1. Rico Suave, Gerardo

And lastly, a mix I named “Bad radio from my Youth” — and it is utterly ghastly:

10. Bad Time (for Being in Love), Grand Funk Railroad
9. Keep On Loving You, REO Speedwagon
8. Day After Day, Badfinger
7. Without you, Badfinger

A two way tie of simply awful for 3rd place:

6. (Shake, Shake, Shake) Your Booty, K.C. & The Sunshine Band
5. Keep It Comin’ Love, K.C. & The Sunshine Band
(I’ve actually grown to like some other KC stuff, but these 2 — shudder — sheesh!)

Ipods06212004A three way tie totally lacking any redeeming qualities for 2nd place:

4. Cover of the Rolling Stone, Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show
3. When You’re in Love (with a Beautiful Woman), Dr. Hook
2. Sylvia’s Mother, Dr. Hook

Last, and actually least, a song beyond bad:

1. Coconut, Harry Nilsson

There, I’ve outed myself and my misspent youth . . .

There are some interesting comments on this issue over at kottke, which is where I originally saw the pointer for this. Since then, there have been over 100 entries of guilty iPod pleasures, including what must be the playlist from Hell.

Check it out . . .

Sources:
iPod guilty pleasures
Don Fernandez
Cox News, Sept. 11, 2004 12:00 AM

Category: Friday Night Jazz, Humor, Music

58 Responses to “Friday Night Jazz iPod’s guilty little pleasures”

1. richardsj says:

See you again by Miley Cyrus (my daughter is aghast!)

How did the Donna’s make that list. Great band!

2. sinomania says:

Outed yourself is right! That gym mix is sort of gay ;-) But I LIKE it! Seriously, I might copy that line up – good start to a workout. Oh, and the best KC tune is “That’s The Way I Like It”.

My embarrassments, in no particular order:

Get Carter, Human League
    Love Action, Human League
    Get Together, Madonna
    Down by the Beach, Men at Work
    Cuttin Capers, Doris Day
    and…
    Sugar Sugar, The Archies

3. ashpelham2 says:

Wow, those are some funny tunes!! Most of which, not lying here, I really don’t know!

Perfect Way – Scritti Politti
    Steel Bars – Michael Bolton
    Baby, It’s tonight – Jude Cole
    All I Want – toad the wet sprocket
    Digging Your Scene – The Blow Monkeys (omg, what a loaded artist name)
    Human – The Human League

Finally……a handful of tunes from The Cutting Crew (I just died in your arms tonight…)

4. DasKapitalist says:

Borderline (Madonna)
    Fight For Your Right (Beastie Boys)
    Crimson And Clover (Tommy James & The Shondells)
    Father Figure (George Michael)
    Keep on Walking (Gino Vannelli
    Guitar Man (Bread)
    Let It Be Me (The 5th Dimension)
    Mr. Good Bar (LL Cool J)
    Silly Love Songs (Paul McCartney & Wings)
    If You Leave Me Now (Chicago)
    Fly Away(John Denver

5. catman says:

Confession, they say is good for the soul. Consider yourself absolved and go in peace. But dont go to the desert on a horse with no name or I will retch on my cossack.

6. rtalcott says:

Dr. Hook is not “totally lacking any redeeming qualities!”

Just wait till YOU are on The Cover Of The Rolling Stone!

rt

7. catman says:

Damn – How about a worst list! Oh the panorama, the self indulgence, the schlock, the over arranged and under written, the downright contrived. Sometimes bad is bad?

8. rtalcott says:

What streams do you listen to?
    Right now I’m enjoying Dinner Jazz at:

rt

9. catman says:

Where is MEH to explicate Chicago’s timeless 25 and 6 to 4? Help me see the light.

BR: The name of the song is 25 or 6 to 4.

I would argue its a legit rock tune, and not a guilty pleasure . . .

10. Wes Schott says:

all though i like ‘em all, i do think some of my friends, well bidness colleagues, at least, would be aghast…

Dr Dre
    Sublime
    AfroMan
    Mike Jones
    R Kelly
    Tupac

a few years back, my wife borrowed my car to take some of my youngest son’s friends home and the ipod came on at start-up, right in the middle of Dre’s – “All those n’s and all those wh’s, somebody here gonna f” – she was definitely mortified, but the kids were diggin’ it and wanted to crank it up.

11. jtil says:

GREAT post! I was just thinking abut this very topic, after realizing that the song “Don’t Stop Believing,” by Journey, which I put on my iPod for my tween daughter at her request, and one of my favorite songs in high school, now makes my *physically* cringe. What happened?

12. Jonathan says:

My God Barry, REO Speedwagon?

If this would have been the first TBP post I had ever read, I would have never become a reader! ;)

BR: Good point — I added a link to the annual best ofs just for some street cred.

13. Jonathan says:

….also I must confess that I have three Mannheim Steamroller albums and two Trans-Siberian Orchestra albums on my iPod.

Busted!

14. martin66 says:

You are a brave man Ritholz. Those are truly awful selections. Makes me glad I must have been stoned or on some other planet for the entire 70s and much of the 80s. Worst I can come up with is Peace Train (Cat Stevens) or American Pie. I will confess a weakness for the current crop of female pop chanteueses, from Lavigne to Sheryl Crow.

15. mcrcr4 says:

In no particular order:

Making Love Out Of Nothing At All-Air Supply
    Friends And Lovers-Carl Anderson/Gloria Loring
    Father Figure-George Michael
    Eye In The Sky-Alan Parsons Project
    Color My World-Chicago
    I Can’t Get Next To You-Temptations
    The War-Lee Michaels
    The Corn Won’t Grow So Rock And Roll-Goose Creek Symphony
    Faded Love-Bob Wills
    Topsy, Parts I & II-Cozy Cole
    Hocus Pocus-Focus

Way too many others with which to bore you on a fine Friday evening.

Mostly old shit, kinda like me.

Best regards,
    RF

16. sheriff says:

Well my kids say I’m getting a little wierd. I now like the groups, “Depeche Mode”, New Order, and Oasis. When theese groups were in there heyday I probably couldn’t stand them. Also, “Marky Mark” is awesome, Good Vibrations. Buy Silver, its a lock.

17. TakBak04 says:

@DasKapitalist Says:
    November 20th, 2009 at 5:33 pm

Borderline (Madonna)
    Fight For Your Right (Beastie Boys)
    Crimson And Clover (Tommy James & The Shondells)
    Father Figure (George Michael)
    Keep on Walking (Gino Vannelli
    Guitar Man (Bread)
    Let It Be Me (The 5th Dimension)
    Mr. Good Bar (LL Cool J)
    Silly Love Songs (Paul McCartney & Wings)
    If You Leave Me Now (Chicago)
    Fly Away(John Denver

THOSE PICKS…and Let me ad some of my own….(just a wee sampling…but for our times and a love song thrown in….AND…I even give you “YOU TUBES” for your listening pleasure….;-)’s

———–

CHICAGO: “IF YOU LEAVE ME NOW…You TAKE AWAY THE BIGGEST PART OF ME”

—————–
    CULTURE CLUB – “Church Of The Poison Mind” (Budgie Remix)

——————–

AND FOR THE TRADERS …On the RIVERBOAT! PRETTY COOL!
    Culture Club – Karma Chameleon (Ledge Music Electro 80..

————————–
    AND… SIMPLY THE BEST…for OUR TIMES!
    GREED ….GREED….GREED… It NEVER goes Away! A MUST LISTEN…

“Simply Red – Money’s too tight to mention – Live in London ‘”

——————–

AND …For the ROMANTICS of CROSS LOVE…but an incredible sound…finish.. (Considering it’s George Micheale…of course it’s not REAL LOVE with BUENA…but still…Love is LOVE…Who are we to judge. THE GRAND FINALE!

George Michael And Mutya Buena – This Is Not Real Love

18. TakBak04 says:

Oops…for that “Chicago” Best Sound use this You Tube…not the other…

19. TakBak04 says:

@ashpelham2 Says:
    November 20th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I’d like to confess to being an absolute whore for Hall & Oates. Anything by them. Name a song, I like it. I have on my Blackberry such lovable hits as “Out of Touch” and “Maneater” (whatever that means, in retrospect). Also found on my music device:@

Ahh…Hall & Oats. Not many of us would admit to that guilty pleasure…..they were good and even better in their newer days if you can catch them on tour or in latest albums.. I’m a Hall & Oats, whore, too. (We are an “underground) …

20. TakBak04 says:

BR….you couldn’t really be dissing “Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show”…could ‘ya? They were way cool…

Might even be coming back. Seriously. :eyes: It’s amazing what was old comes back and what was silly seems more serious than what’s out there now.

Ahh….YOUTH…what pleasures.

21. MikeInSF says:

There are some perfectly respectable bands and songs in those playlists, Barry. Badfinger, The Donnas, Foghat – all good stuff. I can say that mixed in with my Killdozer, Black Flag, and Husker Du, etc on my iPod are entire albums of No Doubt, Journey, Loverboy, and Night Ranger. My college radio pals would be would never speak to me again if they knew.

22. alfred e says:

@BR: Can’t really argue with any of your choices. Most I don’t even recognize.

“Murder on the Dance Floor” Hmmm. Maybe. What I remember from a time when I was feeding off a late night dance channel in the Chicago area for survival, was they would do a “Top Ten Countdown”, which I have captured somewhere if I can find it.

That song kept getting sandwiched in with “Let’s Get This Party Started” and “Addicted To Bass” which IMHO are two of the all time BEST dance tunes.

But then again I don’t get out much. I understand dance has evolved to industrial which has splintered.

23. Chief Tomahawk says:

What, no “You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morrisette?!?

24. DJ says:

The first two lists are most definitely unfathomable.

I’m either a) at a complete loss of understanding as to how your fingers could even elicit the keystrokes to complete the downloading of such content, or b) in sheer disappointment that you are doing some type of mind-altering-hallucinogenic drug(s) which (and, mind you, more importantly) you’re not sharing with the rest of us.

As for list three – what’s the problem? I fail to see any shame! What am I missing?!
    {head in hands}

25. That’s the idea — I am baring my soul and admitting horrific, blood curdling, serial killer type confessions

The 1st list — well, Im a sucker for a good pop hook

List 2: really embarrassing crap — disco shiite

List 3 is garbage made palpable thru the rosy glow of nostalgia . . .

26. Space_Cowboy_NW says:

No Ipod, cannot tolerate the compression (lack of dynamic range) for my
    choice of material (Blues and Classical)

and being its (still on the left coast) Friday, it heavy duty blues from a local
    college fm station (from 4pm to 5am): Earl Hooker, Magic Sam, Koko Taylor, Muddy & Johnny
    Winter, Robert Cray, Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, James Cotton, Hound Dog Taylor,
    and Luther Allison (“Soul Fixin Man”) in the first hour.

An aging dinosaur with tinnitus……your mileage will vary!

27. KeithOK says:

There are only 4 songs on my iPod on your list. Unfortunately they’re the four rated worst from your youth (though I rarely listen to When You’re in Love (with a Beautiful Woman).

The song on the list I’d rate as beyond bad, though, is “I Touch Myself.” One day I heard it on the local “alternative” radios station on my way to work, at lunch, and on the way home. That was when I gave up on local radio and quit listening – which shows in a “lost decade” on my iPod.

The most embarrassing “guilty pleasures” from my most played (not ranked or categorized):

The Golden Age of Rock and Roll, Mott the Hoople
    Gasolina, Daddy Yankee
    Play that Funky Music, Wild Cherry
    Cookie Day, Shonen Knife
    The Girls, Calvin Harris
    Mrs. Brown You’ve got a Lovely Daughter, Herman’s Hermits
    Cover of the Rolling Stone, Dr. Hook

(I can’t see any of my Temptations songs on a list as something to be embarrassed about, but if I had to, I’d choose “They Way You Do the Things You Do” or “My Christmas Tree” long before mcrcr4′s “I can’t get Next to You.”)

28. Marc Brazeau says:

My current obsession is Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “Alone Again, Naturally” from the Virgin Suicides Soundtrack.

I am a Rhapsody subscriber, so there is no per track charge, no download time, no hard drive space issues. No transaction cost whatsoever, thus, I have come face to face with my inner cheesedog and it isn’t pretty.

I’ve spent far less time checking out the avant jazz that I’ve been missing than expected and far more time communing with AM radio circa 1975 when I was 8.

“Stone Soul Picnic” by Laura Nyro or the Fifth Dimension.

“Summer Breeze” Seals and Croft

“Sara Smile” Hall and Oats

“Danny’s Song” Loggins and Messina

“Please Come to Boston” Loggins

“I’m Not in Love” 10cc

“Sunshine” Jonathan Edwards

“Shanty” Jonathan Edwards

“The Night Chicago Died” Paper Lace

“Ooh Child” The Five Stairsteps

29. I freely admit to having a stash of Gilbert & Sullivan light opera on my playlist. Why, not just an hour ago, I was heartily belting out the pirate chorus from Penzance:

Pour, O pour the pirate sherry;
    Fill, O fill the pirate glass;
    And, to make us more than merry
    Let the pirate bumper pass.

But surely I have worse secrets in my playlist. Let me check. Hmm.. I have an embarassingly large Adam & the Ants collection I’ve never listened to, I wonder where I got that from. Oh.. here’s a gem in my collection, a karaoke version of “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction,” it sounds like the Stones but it’s incredibly annoying because there aren’t main vocals, just the background chorus singing “I can’t get NO! Hey hey hey!” over and over. It cracks me up when I listen to it.

30. The Dirty Mac says:

ok here we go
    1. Sopranos Theme Song
    2. Short People – Randy Newman
    3. Rock Lobster – B52′s
    4. People are People – Depeche Mode
    5. Hungry Like the Wolf – Duran Duran

The rest of my iPod is Led Zep, Doors, Who et al. These are embarassing.

33. Pete says:

Two ways to revel in bad taste:

1. Use iTunes Artwork as your screen saver.

2. Do the same on an Apple TV.

With the latter, you can have your guilty pleasures up on your 40″ plasma in the living room, the moving wall of shame.

34. torrie-amos says:

I could care less what anyone thought of my favorites, whoever they are, i likes what i likes, has nothing to do with you. Embarassed, over music, lol………………..bad trades hell yeah, music, nevah

35. mathman says:

i liked Boston for quite a while, and (revealing my age here) have listened to The BeeGees, and even Herman’s Hermits (oh for God’s Sake!), Donna Summer (WHAT?, as Borat would say) – there’s lots of old stuff that is almost embarassing (i’m with Torrie, above) – but newer stuff that is hard to admit to: Lady GaGa (oh man, don’t even go there, but i love it!)

36. Odysseus says:

6. I Touch Myself, Divinyls
    1. Mmmm Bop, Hanson
    9. Groove Is In The Heart, Deee-Lite
    1. Rico Suave, Gerardo
    6. (Shake, Shake, Shake) Your Booty, K.C. & The Sunshine Band

Ok, ok, I get the guilty. What part of these ever had a pleasure?

My guilty pleasures would be:
    The Wall (Kansas)
    Raspberry Beret (Warren Zevon) (Hey!- Even I wouldn’t be caught dead owning Prince)
    and various Harry Chapin songs.

37. Rob says:

Last, and actually least, a song beyond bad:

1. Coconut, Harry Nilsson

Sorry, I realize that this is an old article, but I couldn’t help but correct the typo where you have “bad” in place of “genius”.

I know, I know, I do it myself all the time too! : )

38. Its a fun novelty song — a guilty pleasure!

but a work of genius?

The legacy of Mozart or John Lennon or John Coltrane are safe from Harry Nilsson

39. West 12th Street Guy says:

Great blog.

My Top 10 iPod guilty pleasures, in no particular order:

Styx – “Renegade”
    The Buggles – “Video Killed the Radio Star” (a big hit at parties!)
    Sister Sledge – “We Are Family”
    Puff Daddy’s cover of “Big Ole Butt”
    Kid Rock – “Cowboy”
    Johnny Nash – “I Can See Clearly”
    Dio – “Rainbow in the Dark” (hair metal sometimes has a time and a place…)
    Roger Miller — “King of the Road”
    Carl Douglas – “Kung Fu Fighting”
    “Les Miz” soundtrack (a sentimental choice – my first real “adult” date was when I took a college girlfriend to the musical)

40. jeff in indy says:

i’m aghast that one of my favorites didn’t make the list. who could ever deny Carl Douglas’:

Kung Fu Fighting!

41. Brian G says:

And yet several of those aren’t bad songs!

What’s on mine?

Almost everything ever done by Quiet Riot, Matchbox 20 and Eddie Money

a lot of Def Leppard, Alice Cooper & Gin Blossoms

and

everything ever done by Billy Squier (including at least two dozen never released songs many of which should be on an album!)

42. mustard nut says:

While your honesty is admirable, “Rico Suave” and “Mmmm Bop” are simply unforgivable.
    My list is as follows:

Dokken – Breaking the Chains
    Poison – Nothin’ but a Good Time
    Go West – King of Wishful Thinking (Pretty Woman Soundtrack)
    Jennifer Paige – Crush
    Duncan Sheik – Barely Breathing
    The Corrs – Breathless
    Roxette – It Must Have Been Love (Pretty Woman Soundtrack)
    Charlie Pride – Burgers and Fries (I can’t believe I am admitting to this)
    Backstreet Boys – The One
    Abba (the entire Greatest Hits CD)

43. Sir, you may make fun of my transgressions all day.

However, nothing will ever change the fact that both Roxette (It Must Have Been Love) and the Backstreet Boys are on your iPod.

I declare summary execution for both of us . . .

44. mustard nut says:

Understood. Preferred method?

45. Death by New Kids on the Block . . .

46. mustard nut says:

All five of them? This is going to hurt.

With your fine taste of humor, I thought that you might appreciate this.

47. [...] Friday Night Jazz iPod s guilty little pleasures [...]

48. jeff in indy says:

having had the pleasure of growing up in the ’60′s/’70′s it’s hard to nail down particular songs, so i tend to stick with the bands:

Black Sabbath, Beach Boys, Grand Funk, Simon & Garfunkel (I Am a Rock, is the fav), 5th Demension, The Temptations, Steppenwolf (The Pusher), Queen (Fat Bottom Girl), AC/DC, The Byrds, Cream (Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida), Animals (When I Was Young), ?, Deep Purple, you get the jist.

Bringing it current: Korn (Coming Undone), Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, AudioSlave, etc.,

49. Wes Schott says:

@jeff-

Cream did not do “In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida”, don’t you know that I luuuuv youoo – I think it was Iron Maiden or Iron Butterfy or some other ferrous band, but, definitely not Cream

enjoy the flashbacks, i am

50. jeff in indy says:

@ Wes

ah, you are correct. Iron Butterfly. i’m going back to watching Cheech and Chong’s “Up in Smoke…”

51. DiggidyDan says:

I’d like to suggest Lou Bega’s Mambo #5 on repeat for a great workout. You will soon be running on the treadmill like a nigerian marathon champion trying to get away from that gawdawful aural contagion.

52. engineerd1 says:

I don’t listen to music written since roughly WWII, and so have nothing to be ashamed of on that score. I do have guilty pleasures though; one is bad haiku and the other a recurring fantasy of vengence: Flames in winter leap, As does my heart, heaped handhelds melting.

53. bonddad says:

The Donnas are nothing to be ashamed about. In fact, ff they were men, they’d be on the top of the metal charts. As it stands, they’re still one of the most rocking banks out there. I work out regularly to both Gold Medal and Spend the Night. They both rock hard.

If you get a chance to see them you will be very impressed.

54. Greg0658 says:

engineerd1 .. hummm .. the veil of the www .. your in the Greatest Gen .. history of living thru that and the economic designs were good to you

on topic .. have a stash of music on all mechanisms of playback .. and slowly as my double of every machine drops to 1 .. I no longer can dj my favs in the order I like .. gotta digitize ‘em for more than 1 reason (get up and go being primary) .. we have Napster and Thursday late nite was pounding the beer and tunes from it mostly .. I tracked down on cassette by Ray Stevens the full 4 or 5 min of “The Pirate Song” and that got me going on Napster & YouTube .. Napster if your searching sites for anti-porn on yourself – 2 things 1.can’t copy paste words to external search for more info (and why you won’t see Thur playlist) 2.can’t blend & mix tunes (1 open at a time – and why YouTube can get the every other play)

I do remember loading the turntable with “Aja” and a cd by Tears for Fears that a few ended up in “Donnie Darko” thats a movie .. I do remember playing some tunes by Abba from “The Album” the album with stringed up puppet (jog the new Time cover) got me longing for my own picture memories (featured on the cover a couple years back)

55. jmoharris says:

Damn, I haven’t thought about Ugly Kid Joe for years! Takes me back to my college days in Isla Vista. And particularly to a spring break trip to Mazatlan (by train from the Mexican border to save money). Whit (the lead singer) was on that train also. I believe he and a friend spent quite a bit of time riding on top of one of the cars after getting totally loaded. Good times! Makes me realize what a “stick in the mud” I have become :)

56. jmoharris says:

Just remembered: Whit and his friend had a very large boom box. They REPEATEDLY played “Low Rider” by War (volume on “11″) as they led a line of drunken college kids dancing up and down the train. “Low Rider” still sounds great after all these years!

57. Bokolis says:

As long as it isn’t AC/DC (it’s personal), I have little problem with anything on your list…but, if you go to the gym enough to have a “gym-mix” and you still look like that, it’s time to fire the trainer.