I have to admit that this comment from ESPN writer Tim Keown resonated with me:

“I know the whole Twitter/Facebook social-networking revolution is supposed to transform the way we communicate with each other. But for the most part it looks to me like just another way to avoid human interaction while tossing out meaningless tidbits of minutiae.

“I admit to coming at this from a certain bias. Maybe it’s age, or the complete lack of desire to be held prisoner by another electronic device — or app or site or whatever — but I have absolutely no interest in knowing where people are and what they’re doing at all times. You’re in the supermarket and can’t believe the price of asparagus — fine. Leave me out of it. I have no interest in being given 140-character opinions or observations or updates — even from people I know and like.”

Category: Web/Tech

66 Responses to “Some Thoughts on Twitter”

1. crosey says:

I whole-heartedly agree. TMI.

Follow-on thought….observing my kids, who are now young adults, and their struggle to even carry on a meaningful telephone conversation.

Too many devices, too much time spent cultivating useless information.

2. RobertB says:

Applause!

3. K-Man says:

Barry,
    You are not alone. It isnt age because I am just 21 and after trying both facebook and twitter have concluded that they are time wasters and truly avoid human interaction.

Why would I want to know which party you went to last night? or which store you are at waiting for black friday deals?

Twitter is nice in the finance world though as you can make a quick comment about a stock without having to make a whole blog post entitled “Watch $SPX” and then have 2 sentences in the body.

Anyways keep up the good work in the blog and see you at twitter giving out realtime updates ;)

4. The Curmudgeon says:

Amen.

It’s why I often wonder whether this post-post-modern world we’ve created is nothing but an existential nightmare. Are there any intelligent thoughts allowed? Bring on the apocalypse. It’s hard to see how a post-apocalyptic world would be worse than a twittering post-post-modern one.

5. tradeking13 says:

I am sitting on the patio.

6. mitchn says:

Funny, I feel the same way about ESPN.

7. bobmitchell says:

Having to listen to Dicky V while trying to watch a basketball game gives me a similar feeling.

8. Aeolus says:

Actually, Facebook has been a perfect tool for limiting, hiding, and deleting communications from the useless and inane, while enhancing communications with those who are important.

Anybody like Tim Keown who is too stupid to find the “Hide” button on Facebook should be banned from any media.

BR: I totally agree

9. Mannwich says:

I agree wholeheartedly. Mostly superficial b.s., which means it’s perfect for our narcissistic “look at me”, “I want to be a reality TV star” culture! I do have a FB page but only post/peruse sparingly, but I do NOT and will NOT “Twitter” my “deepest” thoughts to everyone.

10. bergsten says:

It’s all just another avenue for hucksterism (advertising) and advertising revenue.

11. bergsten says:

@tradeking13 No, you aren’t.

12. advocatusdiaboli says:

In the main I agree but I have seen some value in some software development circles. For them, when on of them has a technical question, broadcasting to their small circle gets them a real-time colleague support network that email, phone, and IM cannot provide the equivalent. John Gruber (DaringFireball.net) often poses a question or makes an observation on his blog and then updates it a few minutes later with feedback he got on it from his group of colleagues via Twitter. But that’s really the only decent use I’ve seen. For me, the growing spam advertising volume on Twitter is fast diminishing its appeal to me. But then I don’t have a large circle of colleagues on it to use as an instant peer support group either.

13. kmccarth55 says:

To me, this is akin to criticizing bloggers as amateurish, pimple-faced teenagers in their basements. It takes a facile stereotype of the weaknesses of a medium and generalizes to undermine the medium as a whole.

I have no interest in hearing about what someone else is eating for lunch, either, but that’s not why I use twitter. I use it as a way to bring the internet to me. Used judiciously, it’s a useful aggregator and data source for breaking news and information. For example, instead of checking in to see when Calculated Risk has a new post, twitter lets me know. When smart folks such as Paul Kedrosky and Felix Salmon find articles they find interesting, I get a quick synopsis of the article and a link. If it piques my interest, I click, if it doesn’t, I move on. If a “Friend” or a source regularly tweets irrelevant crap, I stop following them. It’s no different from any other medium in that way.

This isn’t to say twitter is a superior information source to a blog, a newspaper or your local library. But it can used to complement them all. Sure, it can be abused by narcissists and philistines. But if you never get outside or experience a meaningful relationship because you’re glued to twitter 24/7, that’s not twitter’s fault, it’s yours.

14. Aeolus says:

And there’s a tremendous foolishness of anybody who conflates Twitter and Facebook.

It’s like being against tabloids and books.

Stupid!

15. investorinpa says:

I LOVE Facebook..it has gotten me back in touch with friends, high school classmates, old girlfriends, made some new friends off of it, ahem got some nookie from said new friends lol, allowed me to be in touch with people I read daily and communicate with them via IM (such as Judge Napolitano, Barry Ritholtz, local newspaper and radio folk), and has allowed me to spy on family members that are far away.

What’s the downside??? I see none..if I don’t want to be on it, I log off. I choose to update my status when I feel like it and usually try to be funny or creative..sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t…(such as coming up with terrible Tiger Woods jokes..like what does Tiger & baby seals have in common? They both get clubbed by Norweigans)….

16. Mark says:

I was somewhat in agreement with your post. Then I went on Facebook, and saw a message from a former student in an urban inner-city school, who also lived with my wife and I during a difficult month or so in her life.

“In life people say we are delt a path, the path we are to live. the path I was delt was not the path I was going to take. I was asked A few months back,( Angela, after everything you have been through as a young child, foster homes, mother on drugs, most family members in jail, or on drugs.how did you not take the path you were delt? Angela at some point you must have had someone love you or show you love.)
    You changed my life, I did not know than , I do know now. You and you wife showed me love, made me feel I was wanted, I was smart. the two of you are angels, that changed my path to a better one. thank you”

So, many things are tools, and used in different ways perhaps.

17. mbelardes says:

I am on Facebook and TBP and in class right now.

18. Its Me says:

Amen

Every day I get a new request on Facebook account from people I have know idea who there are. But they either went to my high school or we have 17 mutual “friends”. Jeez, I have four email accounts already, reading, offering my opinion on several forums, Boy Scouts leader (read part time job) and tons of every thing else.

I don’t care if you need a mafia hit, want to poke me or any other loony idea to get people to spend more time in front of Facebook’s advertiser.

Its boring!

19. TaosJohn says:

Faceborg sucks. The people who praise it are being used by the giant marketing data mining operation that it is. Twitter is almost as bad, but not quite. I participate in both and hate them equally. Twitter is especially evil for encouraging the natural human proclivity for bragging. I unfollow anyone who tells me that he’s on a fucking airplane (poor baby!), HAS to go to Europe (poor, POOR baby!), quotes Chopra, or tweets a goddamn horoscope. What utter drivel.

Twitter’s networking advantages are real, if they happen to be relevant for you. Faceborg is for losers who don’t know how to blog or email, just like AOL in the old days was for dweebs who didn’t know any other way to get on board the Internets. I don’t WANT to hear from people I left years ago, who have nothing to do with my life now, but whaddaya know, they show up anyway. Bah.

20. Thor says:

Always love commentary about a technology from people who don’t use the technology.

Replace Twitter and Facebook with Email, the Web, video games, television, radio, etc. The same arguments made in this silly post were made when those technologies took off.

BR: I disagree.

21. Greg0658 says:

I dont have Twitter Facebook MySpace accounts. I’m starting to feel left out. I do have my own website YouTube Ebay not all under the same n

22. rlux says:

If you hate Twitter, fine! Nobody is forcing you to use it. Just don’t assume that all of Twitter is a trivia jungle. It’s not. Like any other technology tool, Twitter has its uses and when it is used correctly, it can be extremely valuable.

Ask Dell, Comcast, even Ford if they are seeing real value from their corporate presence on Twitter and the answer would be a big “Yes”.

There’s a segment of my customers who love Twitter and use it regularly. If I want to support those customers, then it behooves me to use Twitter too, so I do. I find it less annoying than Facebook, frankly.

23. Thor says:

“people who don’t use the technology” meaning Tim keown by the way :-)

24. notsofastfriend says:

I hate facebook, twitter, myspace, ESPN, CNBC, cell phones and most of all Bankers! But I love The Big Picture!!

25. Heretic says:

I certainly agree with the sentiment. I like technology that lets me keep my distance.

For some businesses, though, these media may really change things. Hulu CEO Kilar was on Charlie Rose a while back and mentioned that he searches Twitter constantly for comments about his product. Instant feedback, no multiple choice survey filter, and the ability to find and fix problems right now.

Another thing: You can follow not just people on twitter but subjects. Just drop the asparagus hashtag and enjoy the silence.

26. pmorrisonfl says:

They were interviewing a data mining professor/researcher/Google guy on NPR last week or so and he said something to the effect of “People in their 30′s and 40′s think Facebook/social media are amazing in how they connect you with people from your past no matter where they are in the world… people under 20… take that for granted.” I think Twitter has a similar age barrier. It either seems unnatural or perfectly normal. I think it’s either your native tongue or a foreign language. It’s more foreign language to me, as I still remember dialing phones as opposed to punching keypads to ‘dial’.

BR: That’s the best part of Facebook — I’ve hooked up with friends from Grad school, College, HS and even camp around kindergarden — thats amazing to me.

The rest? Well, its a lot of noise relative to the worthwhile signal.

27. Greg0658 says:

ame. Ran out of available spaces to fill with this important stuff. The Greg0658 on Ebay is not me. That could be a problem someday.34567890

28. mrhe25 says:

Keown’s comments are typical of criticism of new communications technology in general, and specifically with regard to Twitter and related social media.

Keown’s complaint, which is the tired “Why would I want to tell people about what I had for breakfast?” criticism about Twitter (i.e. that it’s about inane personal minutiae) is the standard complaint from people who a) haven’t used Twitter at all and/or b) don’t understand or appreciate its value. This criticism takes the worst possible outcome of Twitter use (i.e. reading the mundane details about people’s personal lives) and frames the debate as if that’s the sole reason that people use Twitter, when in fact for most who use it frequently – in my admittedly anecdotal experience anyway – that is a very small part of their experience. It is a source of information (links, news, etc.) from targeted sources, a great real-time search tool, and an excellent low-cost marketing tool.

For those of you who do real-time trading, check out StockTwits (http://stocktwits.com/). It’s a pretty cool use of the Twitter API.

Much of this comes down to how much time and effort one puts into social media. Yes, it’s time-intensive, and can often be an unproductive time suck. But until one gets in deep and experiences the real benefits, this sort of trite criticism will reinforce what a certain set of people already think – and those are the very people who need to experience social media to appreciate its value. Is it for everyone? Of course not. Does it work for all businesses or real-world applications? No. But the reasons for that might make Twitter better, or provide ammo for the next social network that might work for you, your biz, or even Tim Keown.

Just think of the complaints about email, cell phones, etc. Spam, disruptive – yet we still use them nearly constantly.

Looks like I’m in the minority of the commenters thus far, which surprises me a bit. Barry does your audience skew older? (I’m 29 for the record. Background in marketing.)

29. TakBak04 says:

What Can I say about this? I don’t have an account with either. It’s all I can do to deal with E-Mail…so I’m not cool about this…

Have to say that I was SHOCKED! SHOCKED! when reading B. Ritholtz’s delightful comments about his trip to Berlin…and he links a FACEBOOK SITE! I go over there to see the Pix and what do I find?

BR himself in his 14 year old glory Photo…with what he likes and one of his “Frienders” is my fave on CNBC’s “Fast Money” extravaganza…GUY ADAMI!

Anyway…I was kind of wondering why BR HIMSELF…would post some pix of him as a kid …by the way…he looked like a hellion ;) …on Facebook! Was he trying to get a news crowd of the 14 and under on Face Book to read his BLOG?

WTH was that BR…. You post incredible pix of Berlin on your FACEBOOK SITE where you have a Pix of you at 14 years old? Have you not heard of “Photo Bucket” or the other “online photo storage sites” where you could have posted your pix for Us ADULTS who read this site.

Just Chiding you…it was really bizarre…maybe a joke by you or you were rushed for time and figured your Alternate Ego Site on Facebook would be a good place for “convenience” to park the pix for our enjoyment?

Anyway…the Berlin article and your observations were a good read. The photo’s were a little black and white but still a treat….but SHEESH….do I want to know what you looked like at 14? :D

30. dss says:

I see the various utility from these sites and the flip side of enormous amounts of time being wasted using them wrong.

I like Twitter because I get updates from all of my favorites all in one spot. I only recently signed on to Facebook because my kids wanted me to, but already I have to weed out obnoxious postings from relatives who think everyone is interested in their “day” or recent crappy photos.

Just like with email where there are a few people who email you sentimental or inspirational sayings or photos, chain letters, pleas for money for their cause etc. Delete, delete, delete.

My cell phone sits mostly uncharged until I need it, which is not often.

All these things have great attributes and really sucky non-attributes. My grandma used to caution me about the radio and the teevee taking over my young life. The more things change the more they remain the same.

31. flipspiceland says:

I’m not going to comment because it sucks my time.

32. Mannwich says:

I actually find that I’m close to having more “friends” on “ignore” than not. Might that be a problem? Both are useful tools if used correctly. Unfortunately most of the Sheeple beat the living crap out of it, which makes me not want to use it.

33. pmorrisonfl says:

BR…
    > That’s the best part of Facebook — thats amazing to me.
    Agreed… same here. Hung out with a kindergarten classmate in Breckenridge last winter as a direct result.

> The rest? Well, its a lot of noise relative to the worthwhile signal.

I guess that’s what’s interesting to me… one generation’s signal is another generation’s noise. Think of Sinatra trashing the Beatles, or Pete Townsend singing ‘Hope I die before I get old’. Forty years ago it was noise, now it’s classic rock. Your team’s sports scores and baby’s bowel movements aside, I think social networks are this generation’s rock-and-roll.

34. DM RTA says:

There is not a lot to add to this thread; good comments and I agree about meaningless time wasters. But, Facebook and Twitter are first generation tools that will be specialized over and over. How many times have you seen a funny shaped tool and not known what it is used for…and then just forget about it until it is needed or becomes useful. The minute it matters and provides convenience, it is great, right? Social media tools and the smart phone is the new Swiss Army knives. That doesn’t mean you need to use the can opener in the grocery store just because you can any more than you tell the details of your personal life to anyone that subscribes. It is cool that they are there to use.

35. CitizenWhy says:

Just for the record, Twitter has recently declared itself an information network, disowning its identity as a s social network. Users were primarily using it for efficient information. It is certainly an information network for me.

36. madcow6993 says:

Twitter=Potential Advertising Machine

I work for an newer airline that has a pretty prominent presence on the east coast. When we hit a million followers on twitter we celebrated with some really cheep fares. The response was tremendous. You would think email would be just as effective but the 140 character limitation allows the user to quickly get to the meat and not have to read through an email. I know a lot of bars/clubs locally use it to promote specials. The user benefits by being able to get info about products companies friends that they want to hear about and not being spammed unless the choose to follow a spammer.

37. bergsten says:

If you want to know the “value” to Twitter just look here.

This link shows you who on Twitter has the most followers (people allegedly hanging on every message).

As of this moment, something called Ashton Kutcher has (are you sitting down?) 4,046,304 followers, leading Britney and DeGenerate by about 400K, and Barack and Oprah each by a cool million. Mariah and Miley are in the low two millions, and Al Gore clocks in with a piss poor 1.2M.

TGCNBCS has 88.

38. dss says:

Especially since this generation’s rock and roll sucks.

39. RealReturn says:

I am sitting on my chair.

40. j.coon says:

Seems like there are only a couple people who get marketing on this thread, namely mrhe25 and kmccarth55.

The criticism made by Tim from ESPN fails to account for the legitimate use of real-time conversation and information. While many individuals may use Twitter to make personal statements that do appear to mean much, taken in mass you can spot trends and opportunities (try http://twitterfall.com)

However, the real power in Twitter and Facebook (owing to its much larger user base) is the ability to share real-time information. In the Information Age it is often easy to get confused by what to read or even find differing perspectives from the mainstream. Twitter and facebook allow for the immediate sharing of information via links. If you follow those who you respect or believe can add value to your understanding then you open yourself up to the possibility of increased awareness and likely increased happiness or business opportunity.

Take for example you have just written a book or article and are touring the country giving speeches. Maybe I am a fan of yours but do not have time to check your blog every day. I am easily annoyed by multiple email reminders but happen to follow you on twitter. You say you have just arrived in San Francisco and will be at a certain bookstore for the next hour, or maybe you are feeling lazy and have plumped down in the lobby of the Westin to read the Economist. Obviously, you do not have to share this information but maybe an acquaintance from a recent conference just so happened to be staying at the Westin as well and would never have known you were there had you not said anything. Maybe he / she is starting a new fund and is interested in your consulting services.

The example goes to show what is POSSIBLE. If you open yourself up to more opportunities you increase your odds of success. Likewise, if you share links to your articles or things you find interesting (as is done on this blog) you empower the decision process of others. Of course if you know it all already there is no need. Maybe you already are aware of all the investment events in NYC or the alumni reunion at the local pub. It’s possible that you read so much each day that no technology, not even one that provides a direct link to sophisticated minds like your own would be of use.

41. Transor Z says:

I have Facebook friends who play those silly games that seem to get added as quickly as I hide them. That’s my pet peeve. For me, the over-sharing from emotionally unstable/media unsavvy people that occasionally makes me wince is part of the chaotic charm of FB.

42. WenH says:

So I’m a woman of a certain age and I do enjoy the ability to reconnect w/ friends from all the different periods of my life. I like using FB to share content that my contacts can consume as they see fit. I take a lot of pictures…I can upload to FB and they can click on as many or as few as they want and I don’t fill their inboxes or take up download time by emailing huge photo files that may not interest them. Additionally, I try to post thoughtful or funny things…things w/ meaning…I always think about who’s seeing the content I’m posting before I hit share. I’ve hidden the friend that posted daily about her undying love for her boyfriend. I ignore the “what I’m doing this very second” posts from one friend but enjoy watching her use the tool to try to launch her own business (actually have 3 friends doing that) Point is, you can consume what you want from any of the social networking sites. Not trying to convert anyone but as with anything in life, you take the good with the bad.

43. raycharles says:

I find this youtube video “The twouble with Twitter” apropos , you may have experienced it already.

44. super_trooper says:

@investorinpa, November 30th, 2009 at 6:39 pm
    “…… I choose to update my status when I feel like it and usually try to be funny or creative……..like what does Tiger & baby seals have in common? They both get clubbed by Norweigans)….”

Trying to be ignorant is also a way to waste your time. Sweden and Norway are not the same country!

45. kblasi says:

“BR: That’s the best part of Facebook — I’ve hooked up with friends from Grad school, College, HS and even camp around kindergarden — that’s amazing to me.”

I completely agree with your above statement Barry, and I must admit I don’t mind Facebook all that much, but the problem with the above statement is that in the end those long lost friends become the some of the same lot you were referring to with your other comment in an above post:

“They each have potential value, but the lifecasting drivel is beyond my comprehension. WhoTF really cares about your kids poopie, your spouses hernia operation, or your favorite sports team most recent win or loss?”

I suppose that’s more of a reference to Twitter (no account), but Facebook yields a goodly amount of that drivel as well. To me, one of the amusing issues with Facebook is that although it’s great fun to connect with old friends, it ends up becoming the class reunion that never ends. Yikes. Cue Rod Serling.

46. KrisK says:

I agree!

47. Clem Stone says:

I don’t know anything about Twitter but it couldn’t be any more inane than reading endless rants by internet junkies who invariably believe that they have all the answers to the world’s problems.

48. hue says:

“That’s the best part of Facebook — I’ve hooked up with friends from Grad school, College, HS and even camp around kindergarden — that’s amazing to me.”

yeah, you reconnect then rarely hear from them again. a reunion without the uncomfortable silence once you run out of conversaton. the ratio of good/interesting friends from FB is about 1 to 10. you can subscribe to sms updates from selected friends and ignore the rest.

as far as the blue bird, instead of typing 140 characters into the electronic void, what if you shouted your tweets in public http://bit.ly/1S3506

49. hue says:

as far as the mundate stuff on twitter, you choose who or what to follow.

i just had a glass of juice.

50. denis_bda says:

I’m completely in agreement with kmccarth55, twitter can be a very powerful tool if you appreciate how. Though much like the many other new communications mediums that have arisen you have to look for ways for it to be useful to you.

51. Greg0658 says:

a bit more on this marketing – I set up a local bar with a standard website – it gave him the bug – but things didnt take off till he went to Facebook 7890

52. wunsacon says:

@ bergsten November 30th, 2009 at 6:33 pm

LOL! Holy cr@p! Bergsten, are you spying on all of us or just stalking tradeking??

53. beaufou says:

I don’t have time to call and visit old friends, a few words on Facebook when I have the time and when I choose the timing are worth it.
    And old girlfriends, Jeff Porcaro…bla bla bla
    it’s entertaining, I’m not avoiding communication, I’m diversifying.

54. beaufou says:

Bergsten,
    The same Ashton Kutcher who dresses like Angus Young and talks like Bill and Ted?

55. carleric says:

I continue to be amazed at people who would share intimate items of their personal life with total strangers and bore many of you with details of their mundane and totally uninteresting lives. Now instead of some bozo chattting midlessly on a cellphone we have some moron typing in a text message while ignoring the world around him. Here is a tip: Noone really cares what you have to say, it is only an excuse for someone else to reply and shout inanities to the world.

56. @hue Says:December 1st, 2009 at 1:32 am

That was really funny.

I hate twitter and FB…..but then again……I don’t have any friends. Correlation is not causation! ;)

57. Dogfish says:

Facebook and Twitter (formerly friendster and livejournal.. to be supplanted by some other similar services in the future) are the perfect outlets for the large number of our fellow Americans who live in a media-promoted celebrity fantasy land, watching American Idol and Dancing with the Stars, believing they are only one post away from being discovered as the superstar they are, and rewarded with fame and riches and their own reality show.

Part of me feels that way, and that in a way it’s justified because economic mobility in our economy has been limited in so many ways that the “lottery approach” is seen by many as the most viable way for them to fulfill the expectations of success that the media conjure for us all.

Get blessed by some “elite”, or remain banished to the underclass.

As an aside, it warms my heart to of seen two mentions of Smedley Butler on this blog just today. REMEMBER SMEDLEY BUTLER! And read up on “The Business Plot”.

58. LR European says:

How refreshing to find that intelligent people are starting to object to the Twitter phenomenon.

I recognise that there may be some valid applications in specific cases (for example alerts to new articles, or a quick way to share time critical information), but more broadly Twitter undermines our ability to think and communicate eloquently and as such is a destructive technology for our ‘civilisation’.

Taking my resistance to the concept a step further (and quite probably losing agreement), I would say that Twitter is, or certainly has the potential to be, a dangerous technology.

Unthinking ‘following’ of a slogan has been behind many of the most shameful chapters of human history. Twitter lends itself to being used to incite violence and unrest. For some reason, thinking people view the use of Twitter in the recent Iranian unrest as a triumph but beyond mobilising a minority to riot (not a majority, we see, given the total failure to fall in with national strikes), it is not clear at all that Twitter contributed to the good of those involved or their country. How will we feel when Twitter is used to incite riots in the streets of Boston or of London? How about when it is used to incite mob violence against an individual (a CEO, a sports personality) which leads to his or her violent death?

These are the awful realities of human nature, the simmering dangers latent within any society, but now brought dangerously close to hair-trigger activation by any group who can devise sufficiently compelling messages in 140 characters that no one need even trouble to feel they should pause to think more deeply about before acting.

59. hue says:

thx, cman

“Right now I’m writing a post that no one will probably read because it is a topic from yesterday.”

kinda like twitter. i’m watching paint dry http://bit.ly/7fg6bO

60. gbgasser says:

I read some time back (I cant remember where) that Twitter was something that people of a more conservative bent were attracted to.

Maybe this explains its devolvement into a network specializing in useless, trivial information.

61. dwkunkel says:

Time for thoughtful reflection is rapidly vanishing from our lives while we are increasingly being bombarded by stream of conciousness drivel.

62. bergsten says:

@hue — Somebody always finds time to read — if nothing else, to avoid doing real work.

63. bergsten says:

@wunsacon 9:42 — that would be telling. Anyway, he only THINKS it’s his chair, and the orange juice was expired.

64. bergsten says:

Twitter will be killed once it occurs to the owners that they can sell the ability to send unsolicited twits (tweets?) to everyone or groups by demographic.

Thus will yet another form of mass media be strangled by advertising (but in the meantime, the founders will make billions).

65. hue says:

bergsten, the real cause of the Great Recession: twitter, facecrack, blogs, the internet ;-)
    if i owned a company, i would never give employees Internet access. they can’t bring in iphones or crackberries either haha. but i never will own a co.