In Tim Iacono’s earlier post regarding Sen Jim Bunning’s less-than-flattering remarks about Ben Bernanke, he noted the groundswell of public opinion against the current Fed Chairman.

In fact, Rasmussen Reports has announced the results of its latest national telephone survey, and it reveals that 38% of adults regard Bernanke unfavorably, while only 21% believe the president should reappoint him to another four-year term.

Not exactly a vote of confidence…

rasmussenbernanke

Sources:
Just 21% Favor Bernanke’s Reappointment As Fed Chairman
Rasmussen Reports, Dec. 2, 2009

Jim Bunning Does Not ♥ Ben Bernanke
Tim Iacono
The Big Picture, Dec. 3, 2009

Category: Federal Reserve

16 Responses to “Not Exactly a Vote of Confidence”

1. franklin411 says:

Stupidest poll ever. Most people can’t name their own Congressman. Most people can’t name all 50 states. Shoot, even Sen. Jim DeMint doesn’t know that the Fed’s dual mandate is 1. price stability, and 2. full employment (he said it was 1. keeping a strong dollar, and 2. dealing with employment).

I looked at the poll questions. They never even asked respondents if they knew who Bernanke is, if they know what the Fed is, and if so, to explain briefly what the Fed does. Notice the extremely high rate of people who answered “not sure.” “Not sure” = “don’t know.”

2. franklin411 says:

Oh, and here’s an interesting factoid from 2006: 75% of Americans can name the Three Stooges. 77% can name two of the Seven Dwarfs. But only 42% could name the three branches of government. Only 24% can name at least 2 Supreme Court Justices.

3. mitchn says:

> 75% of Americans can name the Three Stooges

Easy. Bush, Greenspan and Cox.

4. Adult Franklin411 says:

Fortunately for all of us the Alabama literacy test is a thing of the past.

Back when I was young and stupid I thought things like this were a good idea. Until I learned that it violates people’s civil rights and stuff.

5. madman130 says:

Stupidest poll ever.

I agree but it’s still a problematic sign for the people who are trying to preserve the status-quo. I think most people have completely lost faith in leaders of this country. Not sure how this is going to end?

6. quiddity says:

Rasmussen poll or no, I think there is a lot of pent-up anger towards Bernanke. His performance today was obnoxious, what with his suggestion that the Social Security bonds not be honored.

7. wunsacon says:

>> Notice the extremely high rate of people who answered “not sure.” “Not sure” = “don’t know.”

Good observation. So, look at the trends.

>> Stupidest poll ever.

We have more information now than we had prior to the poll. What it shows is that there was a period of increased uncertainty where people — with both favorable and unfavorable opinions — re-evaluated their beliefs (by shifting into the “undecided” category for about a month) and then shifting into one of the other categories: mostly “unfavorable”.

8. rj says:

I think most people have completely lost faith in leaders of this country.

Well they should’ve done a better job selecting them. Citizens of a democracy are not allowed to complain.

9. Adult Franklin411 says:

@rj: Since this is a republic and not a democracy I guess we are allowed to complain.

10. dr.j says:

jesus, most Americans can’t point to China on a map, but would gladly answer a poll question about it. I would not take these results as anything more than really stupid people can’t keep themselves from commenting…. like me!

11. Marc399 says:

Citizens of a democracy are allowed to complain. In fact, today I wrote both my senators asking them to oppose another term for Bernanke. Democracy in action, eh? Too bad some schmuck lobbiest with a suitcase full of money completely negates millions of citizens…

12. bergsten says:

In related news, the Bergsten Forensic Polling Analysis Corporation conducted a survey of 75,244,133 The Big Picture readers and commenters. 97.5% (with a margin of error of 2.5%) agreed that Barry should stop mucking around with font sizes in his posts.

13. censeo says:

Get rid of him. Bring back Tall Paul. The only man with clarity and a plan: a proven plan; it worked before. It’s very simple really. Reconstitute Glass-Steagall. It kept American banking robust for 66 years. It took 9 years of Gramm-Leach-Bliley for the collapse of Wall Street, and nearly the entire world financial system. A no brainer!?

14. MikeG says:

WTF is up with the font sizes on this site?
    It starts out reasonably-sized, but as I scroll to the bottom of the page I see the kind of giant letters used to announce the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

15. flipspiceland says:

@MikeG

Thanks for clarifying that. I thought I was off was my meds.

16. some_guy_in_a_cube says:

What’s that you say, you think Helicopter Ben should get the boot?

You children still don’t get it, do you?

To quote Stalin: The dogs may bark, but the caravan moves on!