Seems appropriate:

“I’m starting to get the sense that 2009 wants to finish me off before it dies of old age. A calendrical unit yelling “I’m taking you with me, you bastard!” from its vanishing final paper bunker marked December, every spent day a room deleted from the structure until 2009 is finally huddled in one small box marked 31 and screaming obscenities in stark terror.”

-Warren Ellis, writer, ranting in his blog

Category: Current Affairs

16 Responses to “Quote of the Day Year”

1. beaufou says:

I’ll choose a Ben Franklin quote for this year.

“He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money.”

And a link to todays Times, this my usual bitching line after a good meal and a little too much Armagnac.

Happy new year to all.

2. @ beaufou

That was kind of a creepy article. Not because of the author but because of the picture he was painting.

Fortunately, the great leaders have taken care of the problems threatened by that article. When the kids of today grow up they can reminisce about which abandoned vacant building they met their wife at or which burned out vandalized house they got that scar from. So from the generic imprinting on our psyche problem….things are going pretty good ;)

3. [...] (Hat tip: Barry Ritholtz at The Big Picture.) [...]

4. Personally, I believe the year was marked by hope and irrationality, which, interestingly, are quite similar in nature and are colored by uncertainty…

Hope is not a plan and it is not a mark of the rational mind; but how many forms of success come without some kind of irrational behavior, or at least behavior that first appears irrational by the crowd?

I would probably balance the year with two quotes:

“Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the Path comes into existence.” ~ Lin Yutang

“Before the beginning of brilliance, there must be great chaos. Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish in the crowd.” ~ From the I Ching, traditionally viewed as written by Fu Hsi (2852-2738 BC)

5. GB says:

@BR

Had a bad month?

BR: Tough, but good.

I just loved the texture and angst embodied in the quote — Perfect for 12/31 any year.

6. worth says:

I’m wandering…
    …but I’m not lost.
    – Tom Worth

7. staedwa says:

Thank you TBP and Mr. Ritholtz… I am a little bit smarter this year thanks to you!

8. torrie-amos says:

I’m not big on quotes that are esoteric. Kent’s seem more appropriate.

I’d have too say, it seems, after much research, Federal Reserve and Central banks cannot stop the cycle of booms and busts, or irrational exuberance, or utter gloom, yet, since there creation one could say they totally influence the focus of the global mind.

I often say you can describe humanity in one word….progress.

So, we’ve gone from Tulip Mania, which produced nothing for humanity too a better global focus. In the 1860′s it was railroads, in the 20′s it was electricity, auto’s, planes, phones………….in the ’90′s, computers, cell phones, the internet………….in the 00′s, globalization and standards of worldwide living are in the forefront………………….now one thing you can say, at least these irrationalities were here too stay and money well spent…………….of course, only in hindsight.

9. Wes Schott says:

excerpt from Gods of the Copybook Heading by Rudyard Kipling – seems appropriate for 2009 and in preparation for 2010…

“In the Carboniferous Epoch we were promised abundance for all,
    By robbing selected Peter to pay for collective Paul;
    But, though we had plenty of money, there was nothing our money could buy,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “If you don’t work you die.”

Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
    And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
    That All is not Gold that Glitters, and Two and Two make Four—
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more.

. . . . . . . . . . . .

As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man—
    There are only four things certain since Social Progress began:—
    That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
    And the burnt Fool’s bandaged finger goes wobbling back to the Fire;

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
    When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
    As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
    The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!”

10. ZenRazor says:

“It is not the responsibility of the Federal Reserve—nor would it be appropriate—to protect lenders and investors from the consequences of their financial decisions.”
    -Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, speaking at The Economic Club of New York, October 15, 2007

“Those are my principles, and if you don’t like them, well…I have others.”
    -Groucho Marx

11. diegonomics says:

Hey, ‘I’m going to make it through 2009′ has been my anti-depressant swing thought for over a week. I totally concur with Warren Ellis’ quote, and delight at the eloquence of the expression.

This is a site where the replies are often just as encouraging, and this thread has a number of profound observations. I’m stoked.

“Everything evolves.” – Bruce Lee

12. MorticiaA says:

Love the quote — it expresses my own attitude about this year better than I can.

BTW: there’s a Blue Moon on NY Eve. Maybe it’s a good sign? I can only hope.

13. DiggidyDan says:

“The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.”
    Theodore Roosevelt

“When a person knows and can’t make the others understand, what does he do?. . . Get drunk, huh? . . . But listen! Wherever you look there’s meanness and corruption. This room, this bottle of grape wine, these fruits in the basket, are all products of profit and loss. A fellow can’t live without giving his passive acceptance to meanness. Somebody wears his tail to a frazzle for every mouthful we eat and every stitch we wear–and nobody seems to know. Everybody is blind, dumb, and blunt-headed–stupid and mean.”
    The angry Mr. Jake Blount, Carson McCullers “The Heart is a Lonely Hunter”

14. bruerr says:

“When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion – when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing – when you see money flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors – when you see that men get richer by graft and pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you – when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice – you may know that your society is doomed.” – Ayn Rand writing in Atlas Shrugged

15. Jack says:

This is another proof of blogging being the realm of the uneducated insane.