Long time readers might remember “Paul Nawrocki” — he was looking for a job without much success, and had taken to using a 1930s style sandwich board that said “Almost Homeless.”

If memory serves, TBP was the first outlet to discuss Nawrocki’s heartbreaking story –  but eventually, his story got picked up by all manner of media.

He declared bankruptcy last year, lived on food stamps, fell behind on his mortgage.

Well, good news — after 99 weeks on unemployment, Nawrocki finally found a job.

Here’s the really crazy part: “For months, he’s been waiting fearfully for his mortgage company to call — waiting for a foreclosure notice, for something. But so far, nothing has happened.”

Well, glad to see at least he has an income again . . .

Best of luck Paul!

Previously:
Hire This Man! (November 10th, 2008)

Source:
Sandwich-board job hunter finds work after 2 years
SAMANTHA GROSS
AP, April 24, 2010

Category: Employment

14 Responses to “Paul Nawrocki Gets Hired!”

1. rktbrkr says:

Wonder what type of work he did he find? Debt counselor? But there’s nothing funny about getting the door slammed in your face. I know a few people upper 40s low 50s out of work, well educated, had good jobs, one started her own business so not unemployed anymore, just no income!

2. @ rktbrkr

sandwich board slogan writer ;)

3. Mike in Nola says:

You have to admire this guy. True Grit. don’t know that I could perservere that long.

4. Alex says:

I am happy to hear he has gotten a second chance. I bet he will be one of the best employees they have. He will certainly be one of the most motivated.

5. Jim Hodson says:

There is certainly a bright side to institutions not being able to foreclose rapidly. The unemployed may be able to bounce back (presuming the poor guy isn’t underwater too!) With any luck Paul will be one of many and the shadow inventory of foreclosures will dissipate a little.

Good luck Paul! Great to hear you are back in the game.

6. Mannwich says:

Congrats Paul!

7. willid3 says:

great news!

sad part

i read he will be making about 1/2 of what he did. which means he will be falling behind

8. Mannwich says:

@willid3: That story is likely being played out everywhere. No worries. Just jack up the credit card. Uncle Sam is doing it for us anyway.

9. DeDude says:

Congratulations to this guy, for hanging in there, and finally getting that break he so richly deserve.

10. Lugnut says:

Great to hear, nice to see a little positive news for someone who has perservered.

11. paul1974 says:

I wonder if his finding a job had anything to do with unemployment benefits running down. I thought I read somewhere that unemployment benefits run out after 99 weeks. Wasn’t that how long he was out of work for?

12. [...] jobless recovery or we're willing to allow the jobs indicators to lag a bit longer.  Oh, and the sandwich board guy got hired, as symbolic as anything I can think of, though obviously not very [...]

13. [...] recovery or we’re willing to allow the jobs indicators to lag a bit longer.  Oh, and thesandwich board guy got hired, as symbolic as anything I can think of, though obviously not very [...]

14. BeaconPaul says:

Barry Ritholtz put me on The Big Picture in December of 2008. It was the first major news story posted about me and I am sure helped generate the media storm that followed and has returned for a second visit now that I am working. I am very grateful to The Big Picture for reporting about me then and now. I always knew the story wasn’t about me, but the millions of people like myself, many younger with young children, in frightening situations. Many of them have written to me saying they are now hopeful again that things have improved and they will find work, too. I hope so because they are all with me every day. I can’t stop thinking about them and praying they all make it through. In response to the guy who noted that I returned to work right after my unemployment ran out, I can only tell you that as God is my witness, that was just the way it went. I was out of work for 105 weeks, working intermittently for the US Census part time. Like so many instances throughout this ordeal we got right to the edge of disaster and my current employer asked me to start on March 22nd. It was his decision, not mine, and he did not know my unemployment was ending, but that was it. And I went to work for a company that sells magic items. I somehow think that’s somewhat symbolic and not just by chance. Getting hired felt like the biggest bit of magic ever, that all started with a signboard…. and The Big Picture, of course.