via Mashable, we get today’s infographic (embeddable version after the jump):

Source:
How the iPod Took the World by Storm
Stan Schroeder
Mashable, May 11, 2010

The iPod Revolution
[Source: Online MBA for MashableMashableMashable.com]

Category: Music, Technology

13 Responses to “How the iPod Took Over”

1. franklin411 says:

It’s called “file sharing,” Barry. Not “illegal downloads.”

2. Chief Tomahawk says:

Nice compilation of stats! But I think the decline in # of music chain stores from 9,500 (in 1991) to 2,000 (in 2006) highlights another area of weak demand for commercial real estate. Oh, wait: MMA gyms are springing up to fill the void…

3. Robespierre says:

With this and Cognos screaming “Apple selling a zillion Ipads” I think the time to short Apple is near…

4. DM RTA says:

It’s much easier to paint blame on individuals than it is to blame a market of people who are (in most cases) acting rationally when it comes to file sharing. The perceived value of songs is going down not up. The market cares about value and the more available supply (seems) in the digital market affects that perception. Albums and CD’s were overpriced for decades. Kids are not acting on that as a memory but it sure does suggest to me that markets are better at determining value than those serving markets. The implication that 2006 saw a surge in “thievery” is from the same camp that made me buy Dark Side of the Moon in five different formats over the years.

If Apple ever has to compete with Walmart using the same coding for downloading music, the price for many songs will be .49 cents before long. Just how long does their innovation deserve to be rewarded by the markets they serve? Eventually, open source will align all of this back towards the market.

5. Bob A says:

Ipods will be about as relevant as AOL within another year or so…

6. The Curmudgeon says:

You could ‘a done a similar graphic on Sony’s Walkman in the seventies. This, like then, is such a vulgar and tasteless age. iPod, iPad, iPhone…just new and creative ways to live where ever you don’t happen to be. I really don’t think the lot of mankind is improved by enabling him to never get lost in the moment and time and place in which he actually exists. Except with family. Anything to not have to deal with the existential angst of a moment with the family is a huge improvement over a front porch on a Saturday night.

7. wunsacon says:

I think I’ve seen this graphic before…[snaps fingers]..yes! It’s a lot like this:

Similar in their overwhelming-ness.

8. b_thunder says:

74% Apple share? where, in the richest zip odes of manhattan and bay area? people all over the world use mp3 devises, and most of what i’ve seen were may have looked like apple, but they were NOT apple devices..

9. alfred e says:

IMHO, it’s only a matter of time before iCrap becomes replaced by open source. It’s already there for far less than $1.29 a tune. Inflation???? It’s all mp3 anyway, which sucks. One day we have a hard drive barely capable of one or two real CD albums. The next day we have a hard drive capable of 1 or 2 million songs.

Wish I’d kept all my vinyl as .wav.

Sure, there are lots of entitled kids spending their parent’s money thoughtlessly. Well I guess the parents are glad they’re occupied somehow. And there are lots of adults with more money than brains. $400 for the base Apple? When $40 will buy a cool MP3 player.

BR must be deep into Apple. DUH. NASDAQ. Fess up BR.

And Apple does a great job of style branding.

But the iPod is on the wane.

FYI, MS the inventor of .wma and DRM has figured out the best weapon is free and open.

Also helps against Adobe which is kicking Apple’s ass in video.

That’s the real next game: HTML5.

10. The implication that 2006 saw a surge in “thievery” is from the same camp that made me buy Dark Side of the Moon in five different formats over the years.

Made you? How come they didn’t make me do that?

As long as people keep buying their overpriced stuff. No one is forcing you to do it. You want to be popular and Apple is the fashion first. I bought a 20GB creative zen five (or maybe….seven or eight) years ago or so when the debate was between the ipod and all others and the supposed ‘battle’ for MP3 supremacy had not yet been won.

The thing was refurbished and cost about $150 which was a lot lower than what an ipod cost and gave me many more GBs of space at the time. I still haven’t filled up the 5000 song potential yet I can listen to the thing for days at work and not get through all the songs. And it still works after all these years. I guess my point is that Apple pushes but people choose to buy. This is a symbiotic ‘addiction’ we’re looking at

11. lewiswb says:

I have never ceased to be amazed by peoples willingness to pay Apple 10 to 20 times what something is worth. That this irrational behavior continues during a recession is even more dazzling. I just don’t understand why Apple doesn’t just market more stuff like the ipetrock or the $10.99 iBigMac.

12. Mark Down says:

Apple is not for everybody! If I was slugging it out at 10hr. I would be badmouthing Apple too.

13. vachon says:

Only 800 illegal downloads? You sure? I know someone who has at least 2000 (cough) and she’s, oh, I don’t know, in her 50s. A friend of a friend, really (cough).