Way back in April 2004, I discussed why most people make bad coffee (Your Coffee Sucks!). In 2006, I got a Capresso 455 grinder/brewer/thermos for a B-Day (it was $300).

Since then, its dropped to about $200 (Amazon), but I noticed in today’s NYT that you can pick one up for $119 (refurbished) at J&R.

CoffeeTEAM Therm Stainless Coffeemaker – REFURBISHED $119.99 at J&R.

Capresso_455

Category: Food and Drink, Weekend

11 Responses to “Capresso 455”

1. Andre says:

There is no doubt a Capresso is a good machine — I had one for almost a decade. But you have not had amazing coffee until you’ve done a Jura…. this is european style (ie similar to cappucino) where its forced steam… none of that drip bull s**t… the forced steam gives consistent flavor and a creamy head like an amazing microbrew…. trust me gents, if you like coffee – get rid of the tricycle and get a harley….
    (no commissions here just good taste)

2. RadioFlyer says:

Hey Andre, Jura is a good suggestion – but here’s a better (assuming you were trying to do an apples-to-apples comparison):

Most Jura units are thousands (or at least hundreds) of dollars….but a $60 Jura machine compares well with the unit BR mentions above. Kind of like a Ferrari bicycle. How do they(or, do they actually) do it? I’m gonna spend 60 bucks to find out for myself….

3. I believe Jura is a division of Capresso!

4. hubbstar says:

As a complete coffee snob I have to say you’re wasting your money here. Spend $75 on a good burr grinder and buy a french press. That’s how you do it right :) Also check out a Clever Coffee Dripper available at Sweet Marias. It is a cheap single-serve apparatus that makes a great cup.

If you’re really looking for something that gets folks talking, check out an Aeropress. For $29 you will not find a better cup. I highly recommend it.

Whatever method you choose, spend your money on a grinder. It is, by far, the most important piece of hardware. And yes, buy good beans and use them within 2 weeks of roasting!

5. I do love a good French press (despite the clean up mess) but I really like the convenience of waking up to fresh brewed coffee from freshly ground beans.

I am up early every day, and the fresh brew — into a thermos for when we sleep later on weekends — is delightful!

6. hubbstar says:

Well if you want to wake up to a hot pot, this is hard to beat. Do check out the Aeropress though. You can make a great cup in under 3 minutes, and the clean up mess is nonexistent. Happy caffeinating!

7. RadioFlyer says:

BR is correct, Capresso (1994, American) and Jura (1931, Swiss) have “joined forces” according to their site: http://www.capresso.com/about-us.shtml

Like lots of mergers, in many industries, have to wonder who makes what parts – for example, like buying a Daimler-Chrysler Crossfire – MB SLK drivetrain wrapped in Chrysler body/interior – not exactly a match made in heaven.

Hopefully some of the more experienced/better designed Swiss parts (pumps, etc.) have made their way into the lower end stuff.

8. jlawmi says:

How about the technivorm? Cooks illustrated’s favorite I believe…

9. hubbstar is, actually, onto something w/

and, as a +, “No Plugs” make for easier travels..

and, for the Beach-goer, don’t forget the Aerobie (s)..

“Never hurts to have a Spare”

10. MikeInSF says:

The Capresso is nice. The only problem that I have with it is that the grinder tends to bind up if you use dark-roasted oily beans (French roast, Italian roast, etc). I have to goose it from the top with a spoon to get it to continue to grind – even using the coarsest grind setting. (Their customer support recommended that I “dry” the beans first before grinding. Ha!) It does brew a nice cup of joe, though…

11. JamesR says:

I second the Aeropress recommendation, $25. It’s one of Stanford professor Alan Adler’s many inventions. He also developed the Aerobie, a high-tech frisbee.