The sickest thing you will watch this weekend:

Category: Weekend

10 Responses to “World’s Scariest Job”

1. chartist says:

I hate heights which makes me uneasy even to watch it from my office chair……But, the steelworkers who raised the steel for Rockefeller center in the 1930s didn’t even have safety harnesses…..Now, those guys were fearless.

2. jrm says:

god i feel dizzy
    i’d rather go to irak than do this job :s

3. Trainwreck says:

I sure as hell wouldn’t do that without a parachute, and you know that antenna is swaying like hell in the wind at over 1000 feet. Also begs the question, what sort of crane would you need to erect a monstrosity of that size?

Related grizzly news: http://thepumphandle.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/revelations-in-tower-antenna-workers-death/

4. joebos says:

That reminds me of the TV show World Toughest Fixes where they repair a 2,000 ft tower.

5. deanscamaro says:

I would be fired the first day, as I would start slipping on my own SH_T that I was creating as it ran down my pant legs, the higher I got. I’ll just stay retired.

6. Jojo says:

WHY did they go to the top? TO change the light bulb?

Doesn’t seem like this tower was designed well for maintenance activities! But then, it would probably cost more to do so.

7. Joe says:

I’ve ridden baskets up a coupla hundred feet and done some climbing on the outside of structures at that level and higher levels. For me the anxiety goes away over falling since once you are over 50 to 100 feet up , you are toast anyway if/when you fall and if you aren’t, maybe you’d wish you were. For me the anxiety is that if something happens, it is a long hard climb down under stressful circumstances. The stress is the issue. Panic induced muscle tightening can lock you up and cramp you into immobility in 50′ of otherwise mundane ladder climbing. As can getting bound up in a fall prevention harness. Optional fall protection is best as is a cool, relaxed and paced demeanor.

8. liviu says:

Oh my! I would have crap my pants 5 times if I had to climb that high

9. soupking says:

Whatever they’re paying this guy, it’s not enough.

This could easily be called the world’s stupidest job. This isn’t unlike any mountain. All the company telling him to climb that SOB has to do to make it safe is attach a secured repelling line down the outside of the tower. Add latches every 40 feet that unhitch going up but lock going down unless a safety button is pushed. Then attach the line to a leader that connects to a jacket. If he has to climb through hoops attach a carabiner to a secondary line with a second leader to an interior spot, then re-attach once out and keep climbing. It might tug like a MOFO falling 40 feet into a steel tower, but it’s better than the alternative when it gets windy.

There’s no reason for a man to die over cleaning the pigeon sht off an antenna.

10. [...] The world’s scariest job, and video thereof (if you have a fear of heights / originally via Barry Ritholz). [...]