From Yahoo Travel:

Based on the Airline Quality Rating (AQR) Report, which covers 18 domestic carriers, here is a list of the airlines that could stand to do the most work on making their customers happy. The report’s conclusions are based on surveys of airline industry experts, with positive and negative values assigned to different elements in airline quality.

Worst Major Airlines

5. US Airways
2009 AQR Score: -1.19

Rudest flight attendants, worst food, below-average score in the J.D. Power 2010 North America Airline Satisfaction Study.

Domestic Baggage Fees:

1st Bag: $25
2nd Bag: $35 3rd Bag: $100
Overweight Bags: $50 Extra (51 – 70 lbs) $100 Extra (71 – 100 lbs)
Oversized Bags: $100 Extra (larger than 62″)

4. American Airlines
2009 AQR Score: -1.25

This year AA has had frequent incidents of mishandled baggage with an average of 4.07 reports per 1,000 passengers, according to the Air Travel Consumer Reports (this is the worst rating among the major airlines in the study). SeatGuru’s survey named American Airlines as one of the three airlines that have the rudest flight attendants and the worst food.

Domestic Baggage Fees:

1st Bag: $25
2nd Bag: $35
3rd Bag: $100
Overweight Bags: $50 (51 – 70 lbs) $100 (71 – 100 lbs)
Oversized Bags: $150 (larger than 62″)

3. Alaska Airlines
2009 AQR Score: -1.39

High number of mishandled baggage reports. However, Alaska Airlines did a stellar job when it came to delays, with 88 percent of its flights having on-time arrivals (in the 12-month period ending August 2010).

Domestic Baggage Fees:

1st Bag: $20
2nd Bag: $20
3rd Bag: $20
Overweight Bags: $50 (51 – 100 lbs)
Oversized Bags: $50 (63 – 80″) $75 (81 – 115″)

2. United Airlines
2009 AQR Score: -1.43

United received a score of “about average” in the J.D. Power 2010 North America Airline Satisfaction Study but it placed last in passenger satisfaction in the American Customer Satisfaction Index. According to the SeatGuru survey, United joins American Airlines and US Airways as one of the three worst airlines for meals and rude flight attendants. Ranked second in consumer complaints.

Domestic Baggage Fees:

1st Bag: $25
2nd Bag: $35
3rd Bag: $100
Overweight Bags: $100 (51 – 100 lbs)
Oversized Bags: $100 (larger than 62″)

1. Delta
2009 AQR Score: -1.73

Delta had the worst AQR among major airlines with a -1.73, and a couple of its regional airlines did even worse (see Comair and Atlantic Southeast below). It also had the largest drop in passenger satisfaction in the American Customer Satisfaction Index. According to the Air Travel Consumer Reports, Delta was number one in delays for major airlines (78 percent of flights arriving on time in the 12-month period ending August 2010) and first in consumer complaints (averaging 2.23 per 100,000 enplanements in 2010). Also, make sure to note Delta’s baggage fees below, as they can get quite painful for those hauling heavy and/or large cargo.

Domestic Baggage Fees:

1st Bag: $25 ($23 if checked online)
2nd Bag: $35 ($32 if checked online)
3rd Bag: $125
Overweight Bags: $90 (51 – 70 lbs) $175 (71 – 100 lbs)
Oversized Bags: $175 (larger than 63 – 80″) $300 (larger than 81 – 115″)

Source:
America’s Meanest Airlines
Hamooda Shami
Yahoo Travel

Category: Travel, Weekend

8 Responses to “America’s Meanest Airline: Delta”

1. klhoughton says:

That looks to be correct. Doesn’t Ever Leave The Airport has virtually-monopoly service at several major airports (CVG, ATL) and acts accordingly.

The CO-UA merger will be interesting; CO is good even in places where they are the dominant carrier (e.g., IAH, EWR).

2. VanMorrisonFan says:

I heard that DELTA stood for Don’t Expect Luggage To Arrive! Yup, it’s a sorry excuse for an airline.

I flew Virgin America LAX to JFK a few weeks ago and other than paying to check a bag (which is obnoxious) the trip was pretty pleasant.

3. [...] Disclosures var __halnet_pub = "hgn.tbp"; var __halnet_sz = "728×90"; (window.location == "http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/") ? __halnet_pub_kvs = ";section=homepage;" : __halnet_pub_kvs = ";;"; // var __halnet_zone = "ROS"; « America’s Meanest Airline: Delta [...]

4. mloren1357 says:

I just flew with Delta last week. Was talking to an agent to change a flight. The agent was so mean, I said to her “let me speak to another agent, you are not very nice. I can’t work with you.” I think she was getting into torturing us and figuring out ways to screw us with higher fees. Delta needs a major attitude change. I love flying southwest- not on the bad list.

5. Rescission says:

USAirways hates their customers.

The last company I ran, as a part of each monthly company meeting I used to give real life examples of good and bad customer service. Every month I was forced to use another airline experience from USAir for the “bad”. They are horrible. Just got screwed again last week on a flight change. ($150 change fee plus a higher fare). Change fees are the biggest rip off.

Southwest is awesome though. Comparing USAir to Southwest is like comparing spending the night in a prison with guards beating the shit out of you vs. staying at the Ritz where they say “welcome home”.

6. Jayne says:

This whole article is such a lie. My husband & I fly Delta 100% of the time, and my family flies United 100% of the time, and all of us are VERY happy customers. No airline is perfect, but we are 100% happy with both airlines. The only thing that I would like to see changed with Delta is more direct flights to ALL major cities. It is a waste of money for them to fly to Atlanta first all the time.

Whoever wrote this article is uninformed.

BR: The data are assembled based on on time performance, lost luggage claims, and other statistical measures.

And how can you fly both airlines 100% of the time?

7. Apinak says:

Delta is absolutely terrible. I just flew on Delta and the receptionist in Winnipeg was the rudest person I have ever dealt with. But I fly Alaska all the time and have never had a bad experience with their employees. They are almost always helpful and cheerful.

8. furiouschads says:

Braniff lives!
    Delta inherited a lot of Braniff’s routes when they went under. My favorite story comes from my wife’s trip to Britain as a teenager. The attendant unnecessarily awakened her with “Hey, want a hot towel?”.