A bit of Friday philosophy:

Most of us will morph through different phases of our life, as we grow and live and learn. Its not quite a caterpillar to butterfly metamorphosis, but it represents specific changes in what we know, do, feel and think.

A little introspection, perhaps some insight gleaned through hard work and experience, all add up to enlightenment. Whether it refers to reaching higher levels of understanding in your work, personal life of spirituality is irrelevant — as long as you seek to grow as you get on with your life, you are moving in the right direction.

Category: Philosophy, Weblogs

33 Responses to “Friday Philosophy”

1. louis says:

Don’t be a branch stuck on the side of the river, keep flowing.

2. FNG says:

Funny that you posted this as I was beginning to wonder if “your cup was so full that it was becoming useless.” Maybe your blog still has some useful life left in it. Hope springs eternal…

3. VennData says:

FNG,

This is an excellent blog; daring, funny, insightful, approachable without being simplistic.

Show us your blog, will you?

4. call me ahab says:

Are you sure you are not doing a review of The New Yorker?

5. VennData says:

P.S….

Obama has freed many more people than Bush, without losing the trillions and killing millions.

The Cairo speech worked. The GOP was wrong, again.

…yeah he doesn’t deserve no Nobel Prize… yeah, right.

6. call me ahab says:

and BR-

you have been waxing a bit philosophical lately-

Kabbalah?

7. Be the butterfly.

Just watch out for the spoiled rich kids with the butterfly nets that make it their mission in life to squash the dreams of little people like bugs

8. Niskyboy says:

BR — These sentiments don’t come out of thin air. What happened?

9. A minor incident with a total stranger.

I was a little bit saddened that this person was so lost — they think they have their act together, but they are completely lacking in any insight into their own circumstances.

Even worse, they keep paddling faster in the wrong direction

10. postman says:

VD–Thanks for the laugh. Can’t convince the infatuated, but here’s my take on Obama’s foreign policy, for starters:

. Slavish devotion to appeasing Iran, including no moral or other support for a million Iranians in the street in 2009

. Tolerance of Hugo Chavez and his cronies

. Naive treaty with Russia is if it’s still the powerful USSR

.Ignoring Islamist Pakistan’s doubling of its nuclear capacity while giving them $7.5 billion a year (more US aid than any other country)

.Apology tour of 2009

.Banning words like”jihad” and “terorrism” from government documents and discussion so we can be blind to the Islamist threat

11. It’s a snow melt Barry. Get over it!

12. vine2wine says:

Is there are chart for this? I dont understand the words ;)

13. Bob A says:

I think he was watching Kung Fu reruns :)

14. FNG says:

Barry are you VD? Know that I dig your stuff, but you have been spending a lot a time on the crap’o'vision lately and I get worried that you will come under the influence of the man…I mean squid.

15. Gnatman says:

There once was a comforting notion that a rising tide floats all boats.

16. DL says:

Time to change the name of the website to:

TheREALLYBIG picture.com

17. Chad says:

Wow…the comments have really gone down hill on here. Backhanded compliments, pure bitching, desperately trying to be funny comments (aren’t), etc.

Rather disappointing.

18. Greg0658 says:

sorry Chad – I am sorry for being a part in bringing the editorial room conference table out into the public view .. oh to be a fly on the wall in the real news gathering facilities

19. call me ahab says:

“Wow…the comments have really gone down hill “

as if anybody cares what chad thinks . . .call your mother, she just might give a shit (but probably not)

20. Chad says:

My point made for me…thanks, to both of you.

21. carrottop says:

disregard females, acquire currency

22. dead hobo says:

Chad Says:
    February 11th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

reply:

STFU, bitch.

Thanks to BR and his extremely thick skin, I am prospering. It just may not look that way based on some of my comments. I write to learn and, unfortunately, moralize along the way. Plus, by nature I’m a smartass and can’t avoid making a clever point. BR is the world’s most perfect straight man in the economic blog world. His indirect support had added to my wealth by letting me think through a lot of shit via comments here.

23. MorticiaA says:

I’m with Niskyboy… having been through many big challenges in life with plenty of philosophical growth for 3 lifetimes, I recognize that these types of sentiments don’t happen without something big — and usually quite stressful or emotionally painful.

I feel sorry for those who endure life’s challenges and don’t come out the other side stronger and more enlightened from the experience. They’ve missed out, especially on more wisdom.

“There is nothing in a catepillar that tells you it’s going to be a butterfly.” Richard Buckminster Fuller

24. snowflake says:

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”

Socrates 469-399BC

Better writer than BR :-)

25. Niskyboy says:

I once was lost. Now I’m not.

26. Chad says:

“dead hobo Says:

February 11th, 2011 at 2:15 pm

reply:

STFU, bitch.”

Seriously?

27. Jack says:

My wife tells me I get the “Februaries”. Seems to happen each year. Melting snow and higher temperatures help enormously.

28. forwhomthebelltolls says:

Kids are healthy and happy. Getting smarter every day.

Wife still looks good to me. (really)

No complaints here. (Particularly on a Friday).

29. robj says:

Postman,
    Was that Luther’s thesis you nailed to blog door aimed at Bush or at Obama?
    I couldn’t tell, since so much of the problems that seem to disturb your digestion seem to list problems that neither administration has solved.
    Sheesh.

30. MakingtheDrop says:

progress = enlightened grasp of a stagnant sense of self

wisdom = embracing the beginner’s mindset

If you know not who you are, you simply define yourself through material scorekeeping. That certainly defines things, but never quite fills the void in the heart and soul.

Power is neutral, but love is not.

We are all fine just as we are… and we could use a little work.

Time for a little more work on waking up as a nation.

31. Greg0658 says:

I can’t find the other link – I prepaired this offline:

forgot a couple – and the rest of the story .. Budweiser by the Belgians .. Miller by the SoAfricians

whos to blame ? I blame us all
    we businessmen blame the guy at the top – so I start @ Reagan, Bush1, Clinton1, Bush2, Obama
    thats not the real answer either – since POTUS is just the head puppet
    so I blame the chase for money and those that play that game – I guess thats us all

I’ve heard on the television “its no big deal” “the real game is in the pipes” so sa la ve
    C’est La Vie by Emerson Lake & Palmer (w/Lyrics)

at least there is an upside (maybe)
    when there is one world cash – that cash will not wish to destroy itself … (maybe)
    welcome to Super Boowwwllll XLVI

ohh psst – Google picked this one 1st .. even better (but it didn’t fit the copy exactly)
    Emerson Lake & Palmer – The Sage

32. diogeron says:

In keeping with the spirit of the post, “Happy Birthday, Charles Darwin.”

“We must, however, acknowledge, as it seems to me, that man with all his noble qualities… still bears in his bodily frame the indelible stamp of his lowly origin.”

Charles Darwin

33. Uchicagoman says:

Barry,

I feel you, man. Life/the universe has a way of reminding us just what we are…lost and powerless, yet in a beautiful struggle. My own sanity has been tested in recent months..

Sometimes our ground shakes beneath us when we least expect it. We are all fragile, fragile beings. And thats why we need to look after one another as best we know, we as much dignity as we possibly can, despite it all.

I’ve personally come to the feeling recently that we can’t blame people too much for who they are or why they do the things they do.

We are all part of the universe. What will be, will be. What shapes our mind? We are a continuation of a process begun long ago, that will remain beyond our knowing, it just keeps moving. Efforts known and unknown, recognized and forgotten. Death and life, failure and “achievement”. Who can say what this best move is or isn’t? or why? “I only know that I am ignorant”

But, alas, we must strive to share and love, so, thank you.

And in regards to this topic, PLEASE watch a few (brief) videos of this guy (Paul Crik)…..(embodies this entire discussion and your post, please TRUST ME as a loyal blog appreciator of yours and digital being on the other end of this sprawling networked world)

and most importantly and triumphantly…

-take care & good luck