I am trying to track down an expression and its original source I saw some time ago. It is some variation of:

Get Yours and Get Out

Get Mine Before it all comes down

but I simply cannot locate now.

There was an acronym — GMAGO? that went with it.

Any one have any suggestions as to what this was? I need both the phrase, the acronym, and the source.

Category: Really, really bad calls

15 Responses to “Crowd Source: Get Yours and Get Out”

1. iain bryson says:

Perhaps you’re looking for IBGYBG “I’ll be gone, you’ll be gone”?

2. crutcher says:

You may have a half-remembered acronym you’re trying to recall, but the best expression of what you mean is by far Radiohead’s “Idioteque.”

We’re not scaremongering
    This is really happening, happening

Mobiles working
    Mobiles chirping
    Take the money and run

It’s the artistic rendering of Bailout Nation that rings truest to me.

3. Myr says:

Get while the getting’s good.

4. dunixi says:

In the same category from a favorite restaurant in Louisiana:
    Eat It & Beat It
    They also served crawdads and thus had the ubiquitous slogan:
    Suck the Heads and Pinch the Tails

5. eightnine2718281828mu5 says:

Possibilities:

IGM

or the more explicit:

FUIGM
    FUJIGM

6. eightnine2718281828mu5 says:

Take the money and run

Not to sell Radiohead short, but that’s been around a while:

It’s a Steve Miller song too.

7. robj says:

There was the old saying:
    Get out while the getting’s good. It’s sometimes reduced to get while the getting’s good.
    I think it dates back at least to the Depression, if not before.

But I think you’re trying to remember something of more recent provenance.

8. eightnineEmous says:

IGM

FUIGM

FUJIGM

9. louiswi says:

Barry, not sure where you’re going with this but two current relevant quotations would be:

“Pull up the rope, I’m on board”

and the ever popular- BOHICA!—-Bend Over, Here It Comes Again!

10. Molesworth says:

Are you thinking Get Mine And Get Out?
    Woody Allen’s 2001 Curse of the Jade Scorpion
    Not certain if that’s what you’re looking for though.
    Not certain the movie was so widely known that the line became an acronym.

Crushed when he caught his wife cheating. He’s feeling older and looks around and says,
    ” Hey, maybe it’s time I get mine and get out. ”
    Guy named Peterson a couple of years ago tried the same. Of course, he’s a houseguest at Sing Sing these days

11. JM3RR24 says:

i think that was in ‘crisis economics’ by roubini.

12. I think we may have a winner!

IBGYBG “I’ll be gone, you’ll be gone”

I traced its earliest usage to a book by Jonathan A. Knee “Accidental Investment Banker” as increasingly mercenary bankers signed off on weak deals

13. dsimmons says:

Urban Dictionary has the following:

Acronym for “I’ll Be Gone, You’ll Be Gone.”

Why should they care? They’ll both be gone (rich and retired) by the time the whole thing falls apart.

14. RW says:

“It’s what douchebag hedge fund managers say to each other when they create an investment mechanism that makes both of them rich while fucking the American public.” [lol]

You can get your IBGYBG coffee cups and T-shirts here

15. [...] phrase I was looking for in the last post was “I’ll be gone. You’ll be [...]