Whenever I mention one of my favored coffee makers — such as the Capresso 465.05 CoffeeTeam TS 10-Cup Digital Coffeemaker with Conical Burr Grinder and Thermal Carafe — invariably someone will email complaining about the $216 price tag.

The Capresso is an awesome machine. You can get modestly better coffee from a French Press — I use one on occasion — but its nowhere near as convenient as the combination of a grinder/timer/thermos. Sleep late? No worries, piping hot coffee is waiting for you downstairs.

This morning, I see that Amazon is running a one day special on the Cuisinart DGB-550BK Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker for $59. AMZN list price is $189, but I have seen more typically  at $129 — and you can easily find it online for $99.

Regardless, $59 is a good price for a decent grind & brew coffee maker. The Capresso equivalent (w/o the thermos carafe) is about $162.

I just ordered the Cuisinart for our weekend place . . .

Previously:
Your Coffee Sucks!

Category: Food and Drink

31 Responses to “Cuisinart Grind&Brew Coffee Maker $59”

1. Mike in Nola says:

Looks good. We have a stand alone Cuisinart maker that cost a little more than that. Makes good coffee. When I got fed up with our old maker with its dribble carafe and occasional floods of the counter, read many many reviews and the Cuisinarts seemed to be the best <$100 coffeemakers. Wasn't disappointed.

Sadly, I guess I can't justify a new one even I'm the one who has to set up the coffee pot every night. Our 30 year-old Krups grinder still works fine and we are in an age of penny-pinching. I suppose high quality does put a dent in consumerism.

2. holulu says:

I just order one from amzon. I am sick and tired of bad coffee makers. thanks for the recommendation.

3. “I suppose high quality does put a dent in consumerism.” –Mike in H-town, above..

by Sharon Beder

“In the 1930s an enterprising engineer working for General Electric proposed increasing sales of flashlight lamps by increasing their efficiency and shortening their life. Instead of lasting through three batteries he suggested that each lamp last only as long as one battery. In 1934 speakers at the Society of Automotive Engineers meetings proposed limiting the life of automobiles. These examples and others are cited in Vance Packard’s classic book The Waste Makers.

By the 1950s planned obsolescence had become routine and engineers worried over the ethics of deliberately designing products of inferior quality. The conflict between profits and engineering objectives were apparent. The fear of market saturation seemed to require such methods to ensure a prosperous economy, yet the consumer was being sold inferior products that could have been made more durable for little extra cost.

In an editorial in Design News toward the end of the fifties, E. S. Safford asked whether engineers should resist the philosophy of planned obsolescence if their management commissioned a ‘short-term product’ and argued that they should not: “Planned existence spans of product may well become one of the greatest economic boosts to the American economy since the origination of time payments.” What was required, he argued was “a new look at old engineering ethics”. Instead of trying to build the best, the lightest, the fastest and the cheapest, engineers should be able to apply their skills to building shoddy articles that would fall apart after a short amount of time, all in the interests of the market….”

Mike,

long have We had an ‘Economy’ predicated upon Waste..

4. m111ark says:

Sleep late??? Seems the “No worries, piping hot coffee is waiting for you downstairs.” should have it’s home at the weekend place. I’d swap it for the $59 unit in the city – got to get up on time to fend off the wall street sharks.

5. wyo says:

Does Amazon allow returns for this deal?

We stopped using the Grind & Brew for these reasons: There is always condensation in the grinder after brewing (even when not using the grinder), so it must be removed and dried out after every brew; the coffee does not stay hot in the carafe (we’re nuking by half-way through the first cup); and if you’re using the timer hoping to wake up to the pleasant aroma of brewed coffee, forget it–the grinder will wake you up (sounds like a plane taking off in the kitchen).

We loves our Keurig.

6. BR,

did you note 42/208 ‘one-star’-Reviews?

seems Cuisinart should plow some of their Adv $ into a decent QA/QC regime..

and, out of curiosity..

not trying to be a ‘Downer’, and, really, hope that your Unit works well..

just, Cuisinart, over the last years, has had serious ‘Quality’-issues..

BR: If it were up to me, I would add another Capresso for the Hamptons place, but I have to deal with she who must not be disobeyed . . .

7. Strasser says:

Barry, quite a number of years ago we paid $99 for a Cuisinart Grind&Brew and it had a stainless steel pot (Costco); loved the item since we only drink our own freshly ground coffee. Eventually the door wouldn’t close, so we went back to our standard stand alone grinder and pulled out an old Starbucks maker with stainless steel pot. You must have a thermos that keeps the coffee warm. ;)

8. Joel826 says:

Barry,

It’s a Stony Brook thing. I’ve got the same one too.

9. BusSchDean says:

Very Nice! We LOVE coffee from Porto Rico and have bought from them for years. They ship quickly (we are in PA) and have the regular sales mentioned. I recommend “Auggies Blend” (just a bit of espresso within) and “French Peruvian.” Now off to Amazon to see if they have any left. Thanks.

10. b_thunder says:

No GMCR’s products on the “recommended list”?

Well, then what about the stock?

11. carleric says:

Franklin, nobody ever gets out of here alive so might as well enjoy the trip….I prefer the Keurig, one cup at a time, coffee maker…easy, quick, variety of choices, good quality with no leftover coffee to throw away or dishes to wash…it is expensive and for the several cup drinkers maybe not too practical but it fits me and my wife.

12. Mike in Nola says:

f411: spoilsport :)

Mark: thanks. Had heard the popular wisdom that things were designed not to last, but haven’t seen documentation before.

BTW, I don’t know if it’s still made as well, but for the die hard cooks out there, our 25+ year-old Kitchenaid mixer still works like a champ. I think it’s the one with the 5 qt. bowl. For mixing, whipping, and bread dough kneading it is great. Will do lots of other things with the right attachment, e.g. meat grinding, sausage making, etc. We paid close to $300 25 years ago, so I guess it’s an illustration of ipad-like deflation. You do need some counter space for it, since it’s not very portable.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but while we are talking appliances, anyone have any toaster recommendations? When we last had to replace one, I did a lot of research and looked at expensive ones used in hotels and still couldn’t come up with one that was very good. Seems like a decent automatic toaster should be within our technology. Thought the best comment on what’s available was on Amazon: “Some days we have toast and some days we don’t.” The best results I’ve had was using a friend’s horizontal toaster oven that had a timer and no other automation. Takes up a bit more space.

13. bobabouey says:

For a weekend place, and for $59, not a bad deal. But for full time use, I’d stay away.

Its a real pain to clean. The way it works is it has the old fashioned spinning blade grinder, and after its ground the coffee, the water flows through that grinder and to the filter. So when you clean, you have to clean the grinder unit, which is full of goopy sludgy coffee, and also the filter, and there are a variety of pieces to take apart to do so.

And, the blade grinders aren’t as good as the burr grinder. http://www.talkaboutcoffee.com/grinding.html

14. bobabouey says:

Also, if you like strong coffee, you can’t really make a full pot as the grinder doesn’t accept enough beans.

15. jaymaster says:

I bought the Capresso on Barry’s recommendation late last year. I had previously owned an earlier generation of the same basic unit.

It’s the best coffee maker I have ever owned, period.

IMO, $200 versus $60 is an insignificant difference for a tool you will use daily for years.

16. I agree with Jaymaster

But I know some people are price sensitive, so this was a good cheap grind & brew.

And Amazon is excellent as far as returns go

17. DMR says:

Here is one more piece of advice: Coffee beans and the fridge do not mix. I can’t recount how many alleged coffee lovers I have met who either store their beans or ground coffee in their fridge. They must really like their coffee to absorb the fragrances of left over take out Chinese food. Good coffee beans will last for up to 6 months after roasting stored at room temperature. No refrigeration required!

18. I bought the Capresso (an earlier version) 5-6 years back. The first one I got simply didn’t work. Its replacement’s electronics died within 3 months. Overpriced garbage IMO, and even when it didn’t work the coffee was weak (yes, I like heart palpitation-inducing brown sludge).

On the other hand, my cuisinart burr grinder is soldiering on after a half-decade of daily use, and my french press has only needed one replacement carafe in that span. Convenience isn’t everything.

19. Investradamus says:

BR, If you love high quality, delicious coffee, you simply must try some of the stuff from West Coast Roasting Company. I know the guy that owns the place. He has a crazy amount of coffee-related knowledge. When you read the descriptions of the different brews (the product list is always changing, except the Expresso Torro) it reads like a wine connoisseur description of a bottle of wine.

A few years ago he started a monster thread about coffee on a forum I frequent, that’s still ongoing. His personal top recommendations:
    Gaggia Espresso Pure Espresso Machine

Solis Maestro or Capresso Infinity grinder

Best “bang for the buck” grinder: Cunill Tranquilo:

As far as drip coffee makers go, I have the Cuisinart DGB-600BC (basically the brushed chrome version of the one you posted at the bottom).

I absolutely love it. :)

20. cthwaites says:

Thanks…used the Amazon special deal on Saturday…

21. Moopheus says:

Electric kettle, Barzatta grinder, and $5 Melitta pourover cone. No automatic machine is even going to come close. All-in-one machine = junk when one part breaks.

22. Moopheus says:

Sorry, Baratza grinder. Made in Italy; not crap from China.

23. Orange14 says:

@Moopheus, agree with you and we have the same setup except a Breville conical Burr grinder. Since I drink my coffee after eating my cereal, I don’t need any fancy timer to do things other than grind, boil, drip, drink. Works every time!

24. D Dog says:

I learned to make coffee years ago from a Montana cowboy.
    Boil a pan of water and take off the fire.
    Throw in a handful of coffee and give it a stir.
    Wait two minutes and give it another stir.
    Wait a minute and pour.
    Perfect brew and no grounds in the cup.
    Simple….

25. Tristram says:

Now that you have tried one of Vancouver’s gems (Cascadia soap company), here is another one you need to know about as a coffee lover: Milano Coffee. They are at milanocoffee.ca and a family business owned by the Turko family here in Vancouver.

This is the company whose legendary founder, and master roaster/blender Francesco turned down Starbucks offer to buy his recipes after consulting for them. They were that good. Brian Turko mentored with him for several years and purchased the firm after the Starbucks offer was rejected.

If you want to try something only a handful of people can do in the world, and this is not an exaggeration, give them a call and order a couple of bags. I recommend the Black Beauty or the Adagio for drip, though all of them are interesting. For espresso, conca d’oro (which won an award for best espresso in Italy from grampa Illy) or Brian’s amazing Futura blend. He also has a couple of new ones like the Bella Uno and Lucky Thirteen (thirteen beans blended together).

I have no financial interest in the firm but have come to know the owner while I also personally drink 3 cups of drip in the morning and 2-3 espressos in the afternoon. There is nothing like this anywhere, not in Seattle, anywhere in Montana or even NYC based on my last trip there.

I would also recommend a visit to the roasting facility on your next trip here. It is just on the other side of the cambie bridge with a gorgeous view of the city and mountains. The web site has some excellent and informative videos and great pictures.

Enjoy!

Tristram
    Vancouver

ps. I told Joel at Cascadia that you had featured his eye cream on your site prior to Chistmas; and you should have seen him light up. He was thrilled.

26. One caveat about the coffeemaker — my sister in law has one, and she says you have to clean the grinder/bean holder after each brew.

You don’t have to do that with the Capresso — you just dump, out the grinds. It is engineered much better, but that is why its 2-4X the cost . . .

27. Vergennes - VT says:

I think it is in the Grapes of Wrath where they boil a pot of water and dump coffee grinds in.

That’s the way to do it; just don’t drink the last 1/2″.

28. Vergennes - VT says:

Just read D Dog. That’s what I’m talkin’ about…

29. Braden says:

Warning! Shoddy Device!

I bought the Cuisinart Grind and Brew with the thermos carafe after reading Barry’s well written “Your Coffee Sucks”.

It worked fine out of the box, and brewed one of the best pots ever. It didn’t take long, though, (2nd brewing) before the grind chute started clogging, thus blocking the ground coffee from entering the brewing chamber and producing disgusting, weak, dishwater coffee. I had it apart cleaned and back together at least three times, and the damned thing wouldn’t stop clogging.
    So I sent the confounded thing back to the store, quit drinking coffee and dropped ten pounds (for serious.)

Just one man’s opinion.

30. Ronald Pottol says:

I got a Clever Coffee Dripper, which is a fancy cone type single cup device, it is the best mix of convience and quality (and cost, for a single cup) that I have found. I picked mine up in person at Sweet Maria’s (roast your own coffee specialty retailer, mostly on line http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/filtercones/clever-dripper-with-lid.html ) in Berkeley, California.