Based on yesterday’s ironic Game Theory post (End of Worlders: Classic Game Theory Error), I have a few quotes in a Reuters column.

Like the post, they are totally tongue-in-cheek. Unfortunately, sarcasm really fails to come across in print. Instead, the speaker looks like a humorless ghoul (that would be me).

Here is the relevant excerpt:

It left some on Wall Street on a relatively quiet day of trading to ponder the strategy to end all trading strategies.

“The end of the world trade is a sucker’s bet because if you’re right, well, your counterparties are dead and you have nobody to collect from, and if you’re wrong you owe a lot of money,” said Barry Ritholtz, CEO and director of equity research at Fusion IQ in New York.

But just for the sake of discussion, Ritholtz wasn’t too keen on the housing market, since land would hardly be at a premium.

“It would be terrible for housing prices. It’ll reduce demand and put additional inventory on the market,” he said.”

I find that amusing, but I worry that the cheekiness fails to come across in print . . .

Previously:
End of Worlders: Classic Game Theory Error (May 20, 2011)

Source:
Judgment Day trade: Sooner than you think?
How do you invest for the end of the world?
Chris Sanders
Reuters, May 20, 2011

Category: Humor, Trading

28 Responses to “Judgment Day Trade”

1. The Window Washer says:

You should have thrown in a long also.

2. GrafSchweik says:

[Australian accent] No worries, mate! The Bruces and Sheilas would have to be guzzling Foster’s or the Apocalypse by the barrel not to pick up on the cheekiness.

3. DCS says:

FWIW, I laughed when I read the last two paragraphs

4. Winston says:

You might want to wait on buying a used car. Prices will surely plummet.

5. Winston says:

You may want to wait on buying a used car. Prices will surely plummet.

6. frankswildyears3 says:

I think you should have played it up more, End of Times Economics would be a fun essay to read and write I would imagine

7. Arequipa01 says:

“additional inventory on the market” is both supremely dry and oozing with black humor. One should read all quotes in the newspaper with Alec Guinness’s voice and character from ‘Our Man in Havana’. Every begins to make much more sense.

I also like this bon mot from the movie:

“With a secret remedy you don’t have to print the formula. And there is something about a secret which makes people believe …”

8. deanscamaro says:

You won’t be able to read this post, since I have raptured and you haven’t (no future communication between the two worlds), but our raptured-world stock market has gone up…..and up…..and up……and up and yours has gone down….and down……and down lol

9. codepoet says:

I think you should use the HTML tag… :-7

10. Bill Wilson says:

That statement is very funny, but completely false.

I’m confident that Goldman has a deal with the devil where, in the event of a rapture, our souls will be delivered to devil. In return, Goldman will continue to rule the earth. I’m not sure how Goldman came to own all of our souls. I think it was part of a complicated CSO (Collateralized Soul Obligation) deal, made legal by a late night Senate Resolution.

Come to think of it, maybe the rapture already happened.

11. BR:
    Are you going to give your opinion on the LinkedIn IPO? Nocera has an interesting op-ed in today’s Old Grey Lady saying LinkedIn got scammed, or at least sold itself short.

12. Greg0658 says:

I’m have’g fun with IT .. but but but BR – you have an image to protect – do not jump the shark – you would be my Treasury Secretary choice and don’t make the confirmation process any more difficult :-)

Rammstein Performs “Du Hast” On The Jimmy Kimmel Live Show

Accept – Balls To The Wall

13. Trevor says:

The BBC has determined that there will be an after-party for survivors:

It sounds like fun. ;-)

14. dead hobo says:

Rapture?

Shit, damn my dyslexia. All this time I thought we were heading for the final rupture. Rapture sounds like a big self-hug combined with a mind altering substance. How to hedge the end of the world: Spend like crazy but use someone else’s credit card and don’t tell them. Well, it looks like deficits really don’t matter. What if it turns out that everlasting life means you become zombie and spend eternity looking for brains, but can’t find any?

15. jeffg says:

For those of us who know u, we knew it was humor. For those who believe the rapture was coming, they probably didn’t get it. I wonder if Noah shorted real estate before he got on the ark…..

16. dead hobo says:

BR worried:

reply:
    ————
    Spoken words never work the same as written words and vice versa. One liners and expert storytellers, excepted.

17. BR,

w/ “…I worry that the cheekiness fails to come across in print . . .”

worry not, at all..

see: “…“additional inventory on the market” is both supremely dry and oozing with black humor…”

and, ‘Bank it.’

IOW, not all of Us need it to be ‘Animated in Technicolor’ ..
    ~~

jeffg,

re: Noah

He financed that Ark with “Junk-Bonds” .. Milken had nothing on Noah..~

18. Bob A says:

so… the ‘righteous’ are now the uhhh…..’wrongeous’ ?

19. rktbrkr says:

whew 6 O’C, I made it

20. wally says:

What, you still here? I got left behind, too.

21. Julia Chestnut says:

I still laughed – even out of context. I think you probably have nothing to worry about. Granted, I look for cheekiness everywhere I go. . . .perhaps I’m biased.

22. philipat says:

Works fine for me barry, but then I’m British and we invented the genre. The humourless will be amongst the readership.

23. bergsten says:

If it makes you feel any better, nobody “looks like” anything in print.

24. Don’t worry about it. The ones who don’t get it will be insulted and leave. Thus it is a nice filtering system. Of course, if you’re on someone else’s story I guess you don’t want all their customers to leave or they won’t be inviting you back

25. rktbrkr says:

Will we have a Y2K-like market collapse? A post rapture armageddom!

Now that we have a future I think Harold Camping has a future as a Ben Stein like TV pitchman

26. victor says:

One of the characteristics that makes us Humans as opposed to the animal world is ability to imagine the future. Some people forget that and try to actually predict the future. That has turned out to be increasingly difficult ever since the last of the Prophets died. Nostradamus’ predictions are still there, but….So, the only solution I see for those who insist on predicting the future (even the Past is very difficult to…predict) is to predict VERY OFTEN. Alternatively, a well built Time Machine may also do the trick; Sir Richard Branson are you reading me?

27. RandyS. says:

BR,

In the relevant passage, the context of your commentary is delivered at the beginning:

“A U.S. Christian radio network has been creating a stir with predictions an earthquake will shake the world on Saturday (May 21), sweeping the righteous to heaven and leaving others behind to be consumed in a ball of fire in October.”

If the reader can’t relate the context and the commentary, the offense is their own. So, keep it up, you magnificent, ghoulish bastard.

28. victor says:

People who do bad things in this life will be denied eternal happiness in the hereafter in most religions. Catholics get a second chance via the Purgatory. I wonder though: can you be denied entry thru the Pearly Gates if you were not funny in this life? and sent to Hell as punishment, may be Purgatory if you’re lucky to be Catholic?