Biographical doc on Joseph Campbell:

The Hero’s Journey from Malcolm Kelly on Vimeo.

Category: Weekend

6 Responses to “The Hero’s Journey”

1. contrabandista13 says:

I own it, my sister was one of his students…. A brilliant man indeed…. I’ve read everything he’s published….

Thanks Barry…

Best regards,

Econolicious

2. scalperjim says:

What’s truly sad is that the Boomers attached themselves to Joseph Campbell. Men’s movements created by the boomers seem to try and latch on to Campbell, like the Man Kind Project (MKP). Not that there’s anything wrong with men’s movements or MKP, as a whole. I belong to MKP, but disagree with trying to make a generation of prophet/idealists (Boomers) into heroes. Furthermore, Boomers then take Campbell’s work to GenXers and try to teach them his values.

These Xers have put themselves in a vulnerable place within the men’s movement. They trust the Boomer leaders to lead them down the right path. However, the Boomer leaders can’t teach people what it is like to be The Hero that Campbell writes of. Just like their inability to run civic projects or control civic disasters. Boomers aren’t about community they are about the individual. Heroes are about community, not the individual. Joseph Campbell was from the GI generation. That generation was a hero/civic archetype. The Boomers are opposite.

The good that can come from this (excellent) video is having the Millennial generation watch it. The Mills are a hero/civic archetype just like the GI generation was. My hope is that the Boomers take seriously their role which is The Prophet (Gandolf leading Frodo, Obi-Wan leading Luke and Leia) and not pretend to be the heroes leading the true heroes; the Millennial Generation. That won’t work across this specific generational line.

Thank you for sharing this video, Barry.
    James Goulding

3. ilsm says:

Thank You.

4. teraflop says:

Bill Moyer’s interview on Skywalker Ranch (seriously), where he covered The Hero’s Journey, among an entire series of subjects (The Power of Myth) should be must-read/view for any leadership program and other disciplines. I re-watch it from time to time to gain a refresh I’d otherwise have to obtain from a myriad of other sources and efforts (climbing mountains, searching for temples, studying arcane texts, meditating in a mist of saffron and sandalwood in time zones undefined – been there, done that). Good post, Barry, everyone needs to know about what this man tried to teach.

5. daedaldream says:

For writers, much as Laos Egri and Aristotle, Campbell is very influential. A protagonist and archetypes are really important. I think Joyce Carol Oats, Robert McKee and Stephen King have much more accessible writer craft pieces. But this revelation that myth carries over to modern fairy tale writing is a very powerful tool. Sci-fi and fantasy writers can learn a lot from Campbell. Bonnett’s “Stealing Fire From The Gods” is a great take on Campbell’s work. And the master plots book based on Campbell’s hero’s journey is pretty cool too.

6. eaglepilot says:

Although a bit tardy, I want to thank you, Barry, for introducing me to Joseph Campbell. Truly a great teacher and thinker, that offers wisdom without forcing a (his) moral certainty.

Barry, you take me to places that I would not discover on my own. And that, Sir, is why I read you every day.