Justin Webb asks whether the United States is capable of averting economic meltdown.

click for audio

Duration: 29 mins

Source:
Is America Doomed?
BBC Radio, 27 June, 2011

Category: Media, Politics

7 Responses to “BBC Radio: Is America Doomed?”

1. VennData says:

Put me down as a “Doom Denialist.”

2. CitizenWhy says:

In America there are always a large number of people who long for disaster. So many were disappointed that we had no disaster in 2000. But the Tea Party will deliver on disaster. They’ve been promising it so they could sell gold.

3. MayorQuimby says:

America as a nation isn’t doomed, but the 20th century America we all knew and loved is.

4. Snickers says:

I agree with Frum on very little, but he nails it. The only problem is that we can’t get there from here.

Living in Tokyo during the Clinton years it was so peculiar to see the US unemployment rate drop below that of Japan, while at the same time the right worked itself into a ferocious rage. Then the Republicans took control of all three branches of government and proceeded to reduce taxes, increase entitlements, vastly raise “defense” spending, get many thousands of our best killed and maimed in inconclusive foreign conflicts, and diminish civil liberties.

Another podcast I recommend is David Stockman at Mises Institute. After some pro forma jabs at the current administration, he rips into Shrub at length. If this sort of self-criticism were more common, rather than tri-corner hats and the birther thing and slavery being good for children and families, we’d have a much healthier polity. (Note: As with Frum, I agree with Stockman very little.)

5. Francois says:

We can’t afford octopus-derived ink and goose-made quills political institutions in the century of Chaos Theory, iPads, climate destabilization, carbon fiber, nanotech and advanced robotics.

Evolve or die!

6. Greg0658 says:

had to sign in high5 Snickers for “get many thousands of our best killed and maimed in inconclusive foreign conflicts” .. guys trying to play by the rules for uncleS .. this time around like no other / as part timers called in – out of their stateside job / thought they were signing up for disaster relief … so so sorry, I too was working for uncleS and was to busy to notice

MQ I agree with ya in this thread

speaking of great squidy lines – “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.”

7. tony30daywunder says:

I think doomed is too strong. All great countries have had their day of reckoning as I’m sure your British readers will agree. However, I do not think America will suffer great famines or a second civil war, but will simply need to redefine itself leaving perhaps China as the world’s only superpower. Maybe America’s decline will turn out well resulting in no one superpower, but groups of nations peacefully striving to have the greatest influence in world affairs. Who knows!

No matter the ultimate outcome though, it is clear America will not be the superpower she once was and as a proud American I can only say as long as I have clean water to drink, food to eat, and peace in my neighborhood as well as in the world, I will sleep quite well.