The latest adds to my Instapaper this very busy afternoon:

• Meet the man who will replace Jobs (Fortune)
• Buffett: The One-Man Blue-Chip Bailout Machine Strikes Again (Yahoo Finance)
• China’s Looming Debt Disaster (The Daily Beast)
• The run that brought Morgan Stanley to the brink during the crisis (Financial Post)
• Six lessons Japan can teach the West (Curious Capitalist)
• ‘MERS morass’ is hanging up negotiations on foreclosure settlement (Washington Post)
• The Illusion of Asymmetric Insight (You Are Not So Smart)
• China’s denials about cyberattacks undermined by video clip (Washington Post)
• Irene Aims at U.S. States Suffering Budget Cuts for Emergencies (Bloomberg)
• Top 10 great cars nobody is buying (Left Lane)

What are you reading?

Category: Financial Press

22 Responses to “10 Quick Thursday Reads”

1. barniebrains says:

Bloomberg news: Greenspan Says Euro ‘Breaking Down’

Unlike Benny B, the Maestro thinks gold is money:

“Gold, unlike all other commodities, is a currency,” Greenspan said. “And the major thrust in the demand for gold is not for jewelry. It’s not for anything other than an escape from what is perceived to be a fiat money system, paper money, that seems to be deteriorating.”

2. VennData says:

Texas A&M Aggies officially notify Big 12 of conference exploration

They’re Seceding!

3. willid3 says:

not sure i would listen to the maestro. if he told us the sky was blue, we better go check it

4. willid3 says:

thinking that the reason the Vette is having trouble selling is that the current model has been in production since 2005 (yes I know the C4 was in production a lot longer. but times are different). and the new model is coming soon. they may be waiting on the new one or discounts on the C6. the other possibility is that the customers have been depressed by lack of income

5. gman says:

Article on Japan and no mention of demographic decline?

6. jaymaster says:

195 continuous years of dividends from an American company!

Less than 1% yield, but still, that kind of stability ought to be worth something….

7. slowkarma says:

Bloomberg’s got a headline that says Irene could whack the East Coast with $13.9 billion in damages, a number they pulled out of a very dark place. But if Irene does whack the East Coast, and puts a couple hundred thousand construction workers back hammering nails, is that an overall negative or positive?

8. Orange14 says:

I’m looking (not reading) at the weather and hope all who are in Irene’s path make it through safely! Sometimes there are more important things than what the market has or will do.

9. TapeReader says:

Who is running this country?

I am putting a stake in the ground as I have had enough.

Across the entire span of this economic crisis I have seen only one politician stand up and say, “Enough!”

I want Schneiderman in the White House.

‘nuf said….C

10. Greg0658 says:

slowkarma I’ll take that one ..
    construction & safety workers, building product suppliers & manufacturers, inshore motels & restaurants +++
    insurance, government budgets, hit-zone taxpayers, property owners not fiully insured, garbage haulers —

Wall Street might be asking for that transaction sales tax* next week .. I really hope not tho (for DisCap reason) slow down the HFT (yaa)

* % transferred to origination broker locale

11. wunsacon says:

willid3 @ 6:18 LOL!

On top of that, I spy a bullish CNBC headline about gold, while Barry printed a few charts lately that should make one wonder whether it will at least pause for a bit.

12. cyaker says:

Who makes the chips and other stuff in our electronics.? For the most parts not us. Who assembles the devices we use? IPhone anybody. Cyberwarfare I think we already lost at war althou it’s probably still time to regroup if Governement (yes Governement) demands that only American made electronics goes into American war machines.Mosler has recommended several other strategic materials like steel that should only come from American sources. I would add e fact that a factory is here doesn’t make it American it needs to be local not international control. In conclusion I would hate robe driving a tank or flying a plane with parts made elsewhere .

13. theexpertisin says:

Reading lists from BR are always appreciated…neat stack of stuff.

The article on ten vehicles no one is buying caught my interest. While I was mildly suprised to see the Corvette and all Jaguar brands on the list, others like the Chevy Volt and Saab’s lineup were assumed.

The public is the best judge of vehicles based upon their life circumstances. After visiting East Germany a few times in the 1980s and seeing (smelling) the Tribant, I am thankful for the ability to select a vehicle that the government does not cram down my throat, at least for now.

14. VennData says:

slowkarma,

French economist Frederic Bastiat’s Broken Window Fallacy

TapeReader,

Obama’s “Enough” Ad on television…

theexpertisin,

15. ga082003 says:

Steve Jobs in charts

16. African nations ‘fail famine victims’

African governments on Thursday pledged less money to fight the Horn of Africa famine and drought than has already been raised by the British public.

At the continent’s first fund-raiser for the crisis, the smallest donation – from Lesotho – was surpassed by the efforts of an 11-year-old Ghanaian schoolboy. Most of the Africa Union’s 54 member nations gave nothing.

17. rktbrkr says:

Re 10 best cars that don’t sell.
    I’ve been looking at some Korean models because of the Jap supply problems and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the vehicles, the styling of the newer models is pleasing – at least to me and the engines have excellent performance – I’m amazed by 6spd auto transmissions in economy cars! The Hyundai/Kia mid size twins have twin scroll turbos that put out 274HP with great mileage for the low 20s with the ultra long warranties, really unbeatable. Put the Jag in the driveway and the Turbo Optima on the road!

18. Greg0658 says:

“African governments on Thursday pledged less money to fight the Horn of Africa famine” .. off the top of my head I’d say blame economies of scale .. or we just need to drink more Miller products (I’ll work on that this weekend)

19. JSC says:

Why is no one talking about China’s enormous real estate bubble? Is it that profound that we must keep the illusion going.

I hope the Chinese govt didnt use credit derivatives and infect the entire global finance system….it would seem that would make the US bubble seem like a fart in the wind…