From an anoymous reader:

“Have you ever considered switching from thoughtful to dogmatic?  It’s a lot easier and you make more friends.  Plus, sometimes they send you free bumper stickers in the mail.”

I found that to be hilarious . . .

Category: Humor, Philosophy

14 Responses to “Email of the Day: Thoughtful vs Dogmatic”

1. ToNYC says:

Moral hazard processes confuse free whatever with free of whatever.

2. Nuggz says:

“Have you ever considered switching from thoughtful to dogmatic?”

In medical terms, it’s referred to as geriatrics.

3. Bob A says:

reminds me of Maynard G Krebs ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynard_G._Krebs )
    think??? !!!*#(@

4. codepoet says:

Also Barry…it just hurts too much to have to think for yourself. There are clear economies of scale in letting someone (or a party) do all your thinking for you! :-)

5. VennData says:

And never switch back…

“…here is the Texas governor rejecting the science of climate change while his own state is on fire…”

… because it seems like, Rick Perry plans on seceding to a new planet.

6. lburgler says:

Barry is dogmatic in his own way. He’s a strict empiricist, and unless he wants to contradict me with examples, I usually see him refer to religion in derogatory terms.

No great thinker can be both the mother and the heir of his own theories, and it’s often only others who can see a great thinker’s excesses and limitations.

I think Barry should spend a little time with Hume, maybe a little time with Hannah Arendt, and read their treatises on the human condition… an empirical approach to be sure, but one that is honest with itself about its own paradoxically magical assumptions.

The one thing that a dogged adherence to commonsense will not reveal to Barry is the dialectical nature of nature, truth, and reason.

But he tries. We love Barry.

7. DSS10 says:

No, I’ll just rely on “common sense.” I think that is the new synonym for being simplistic about a complex problems.

8. codepoet says:

He may see religion in anthropological terms (i.e. scientific based on empirical observations) i.e. as a form of quaint, cultural mythologies that are typically at war with one another (well, maybe not Buddhism). As for me, as I like to say: “Keep YOUR god out of MY government!”

9. krice2001 says:

We all have our biases, Barry, included. I think most of us are comfortable with Barry’s biases because his beliefs reflect a bias towards “data driven” conclusions and what we see as fair criticism of both established liberal and conservative theologies. I am also very comfortable with that.

As I see it, most of us here don’t care for “dogma” which seems mostly to be an adherence to an established political phiolosphy that ignores any contradictory data and substitutes the tenets of that belief for actual facts. We have way too much of that.

10. Tim says:

Dogmatic no, doggedly determined yes.

11. Transor Z says:

Reminds me of one of my all-time favorite comebacks, Letterman v. O’Reilly in 2006:

O’Reilly: ”Do you want the United States to win in Iraq? It’s an easy question…”

Letterman: “No, it’s not easy for me because I’m thoughtful.”

12. rpseawright says:

“I think most of us are comfortable with Barry’s biases because his beliefs reflect a bias towards “data driven” conclusions and what we see as fair criticism of both established liberal and conservative theologies.”

On account of a significant number of cognitive biases, most crucially confirmation bias, distinguishing between the data and the ideology (or, perhaps more accurately, keeping one’s analysis and interpretation of the data reasonably objective — since analysis and interpretation are required for data to be actionable) is really, really hard even in the best of circumstances. Indeed, the data suggests that we all (and not just the people we disagree with) tend to start with our ideologies and then search out facts to support them.

13. CitizenWhy says:

I think the real moral issue is whether Barry likes cats or dogs, and exactly how much for each, and whether he is unfair to either. I am willing to be flexible about this issue, but is Barry?

14. ailouros says:

Influential/creative people can be very dogmatic. They force their will on those around them, and make a difference. So the email, besides being hilarious, may also contain some grains of truth….
    But of course one can be dogmatically thoughtful & be influential too, etc.