Last week, I lamented that the Bloomberg 50 was a disappointingly obvious list (the event was quite good, however).

Following that (Meh!) complaint, I asked readers who was their most influential managers, thinkers, traders and strategists — who impacted their trading, thinking and investment process more than the rest of the chattering classes.

For obvious reasons, I excluded myself & TBP (the sample group of TBP is biased).

Well, you responded in force. Almost 500 votes were submitted for 90+ people. The list ranged far and wide, with many nominees. I thought it was more intriguing than the Business Week piece, with far less sell side names and far more interesting, thoughtful suggestions. Kudos to TBP readers for your intriguing perspectives.

This is the list you, the home viewer, came up with:

Asset Managers

Researcher/Strategists

Media/Blogs

1. Jeremy Grantham James Grant Naked Capitalism
2. Jim Rogers Robert Shiller John Mauldin
3. John Hussman Lakshman Achuthan Paul Krugman
4. George Soros Marc Faber ZeroHedge.com
5. Hugh Hendry David Rosenberg Calculated Risk
6. Bill Gross Chris Whalen Jesse’s Café Américain
7. Felix Zulauf Gary Shilling Mish
8. Seth Klarman James Montier Peter Brandt
9. Bill Fleckenstein Louise Yamada Robert Prechter
10. Howard Marks Nouriel Roubini FT Alphaville

Category: Data Analysis, Financial Press, Philosophy

33 Responses to “TBP’s 30 Most Influential Finance Sources”

1. Chief Tomahawk says:

Robert Shiller as a #2 seed in the researcher/strategist regional? Don’t who the #15 seed is but I’m taking that person for the upset. Shiller touted options for housing markets as a way to protect against declining market values. Never reached critical mass. Hard to imagine Citi and B of A didn’t push it as a product at closing on a mortgage as yet another way to make fees.

2. wildebeest says:

bloggers: No pragcap in the blogger top 10. shame readers, shame!

researchers: Its a shame Steve Keen doesn’t get more coverage. One of the few that writes about private debt.

3. machinehead says:

‘Shiller touted options for housing markets as a way to protect against declining market values. Never reached critical mass.’

Can’t win ‘em all. Housing probably doesn’t have sufficiently frequent price updates (e.g., Case-Shiller frequency is only monthly) to support traded options, which thrive on daily volatility.

But Shiller nailed stocks’ all-time real high (in Irrational Exuberance, published January 2000). And he was quite bearish on residential housing in 2005-6. Shiller got the large-scale macro calls correct, in a way that few others have done.

4. alnval says:

Thank you. Too often folks forget that the easiest way to find out what people are thinking is to ask them.

5. Orange14 says:

Bill Gross might be disqualified by his dumb move out of Treasuries this year (much to my dismay as I’ve got retirement money in his fund). James Grant was once a sage but is now just loony with his gold fixation and belief that wild inflation is around the corner (take a look at commodity prices Jim). I’m a little disappointed not to see my vote of Warren Buffett on the asset manager list but maybe running a holding company doesn’t count.

Thanks for compiling this!!!

6. Bomber Girl says:

Thanks, great list. Although I do like Taleb (not on list) and cannot read Krugman anymore. He has wandered.

7. Molesworth says:

Ditto Bomber Girl

8. yes, Taleb is, certainly, worthwhile..

also, Steve Keen, and, I think, Micheal Hudson..

as well, Steven Roach has much to commend him..esp., earlier on (~2003/4/5), He seemed like one, of the few, that was “Sounding the Alarm”–properly, so..

but, certainly, The List, is a great starting point~

http://debunkingeconomics.com/ (Steve Keen)
    http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/ (also, his -graph..”The Roving Cavaliers of Credit” is, well, worthwhile)

9. gman says:

Bashing Schiller and Krugman?
    ” Yep, Dow 36k and housing never goes down. Hyperinflation/ bond mkt crash every month since 09′!”
    signed..the WSJ editorial board

10. Jolly Rancher says:

Grant, Faber, Grantham and Krugman are the only ones I monitor. Faber is at his best at turn signals, but overall too bearish. Grantham has been a little wishywashy over the last few months. Grant is an uberbear, but bullish lately, oh well. Steve Leuthold is tops on my lost — very little noise, great market turns.

11. wunsacon says:

Did we all just forget to mention Bloomberg or were they disqualified by reason of being a major news retailer?

12. ExpectingDeflation says:

I also need to second (third?) Steve Keen, although he is not an especially active blogger. Overall, I’m surprised how bearish the list is. Whether inflationist or deflationist lots of negativity on the list.

13. Doctor Bang says:

Good god people really listen to Krugman….I put my vote for the asset managers at Euro Pac..Schiff and Pento…thought Jim Chanos/Doug Kass (asset manager) was a glaring omission along with Richard Russell (strategist).

14. eliz says:

By far, I prefer Shilling (Gary) to Shiller (Robert).

As I noted in my “vote” – Brian Pretti and friends are excellent (!) analysts. Check out the monthly post sometime.

15. Jim Rogers and Marc Faber are sometimes overly pessimistic… Well, with time, we might learn that they were realistic. :) Robert Shiller is a class of its own.

16. santamonica says:

Wow…no Warren Buffett…

17. Make that 29…..

“Social media is like quicksand. It can shallow one’s life. I need to focus my energy and attention toward three priorities. To this end, blogging and Tweeting is not the best use of my time. It takes my energies away from where they need to be. It is a distraction. It is an interruption. It intrudes upon the state of emotional calm and clear headedness needed for successful speculation. It is the cause of unwelcomed conflict and aggravation.”
    Posted by PeterLBrandt on September 25th, 2011

18. TripleB says:

If you ever construct a “douchebag trader” list, please put this guy at the top.

19. [...] The 30 most influential finance sources.  (Big Picture) [...]

20. [...] The Big Picture readership voted, here are the 30 Most Influential People in Finance:  (TBP) [...]

21. [...] The Big Picture’s 30 most influential finance sources. (The Big Picture) [...]

22. Julia Chestnut says:

Have to admit, beats the Bloomberg 50 all to hell. Now, BR: have you plumbed the full set of recommendations for the biases and such yet? It would be fascinating, because the traffic on the site has to be a pretty interesting self-selection. I love the venn diagram of where smart people’s opinions differ and where they overlap.

23. Julia Chestnut says:

Holy cow, TripleB: did you read the comments on that Gawker piece? I thought that the Gawkersnark crowd had lost their edge, but those folks “bring it” pretty well. I’ve seen the same guy posted in several places, but nowhere did some commenter construct a photo of what a guillotine from IKEA would look like.

24. znmeb says:

Hmmm … Warren Buffett isn’t an influential asset manager? Does President Obama talk to *any* of the other people on your list? Name tax policies after them? ;-)

25. [...] Picture (TBP) has curated a list by his readers of the top 30 financial resources.  It can be found here. No list is complete without Abnormal Returns who has saved all of us countless hours of our life [...]

26. I’d hire that crew to do my lawn any day of the week. ;)

27. Greg0658 says:

LOL brains & brawn .. but which session would you do 1st before the beer summit?

28. Ed Sanders says:

I know he’s not out there like he used to be, but I’m still surprised about the omission of Roach. James Hamilton and Menzee Chin also keep it real.

29. Shannon says:

Great list, wonderful to see Peter Brandt in the line up…he has flown under the radar for too long!

30. junkndump says:

ECRI has been quiet lately so Lakshman on CNBC Friday morning could get interesting:

31. [...] The 30 most influential finance sources.  (Big Picture) [...]

32. [...] three banks in the country. Capital One plans to hire 500 in Delaware. The Big Picture lists its 30 most influential finance resources. Gwen Moran explains how community banks are wooing customers. Nancy Grace denies [...]