Quote of the day:

“I’ll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.”
-Seen at Occupy Wall Street rally.

Category: Humor, Legal

11 Responses to “QOTD: Too Few Arthur Andersons”

1. Jeff L says:

I ranted on this back in August after one of the GOP candidates insisted corporations were people, I live overseas …here is my original rant:

It suddenly struck me from 5000 miles away how f(*&^d up everyone is back there…
    I’m hearing corporations are people.
    I’m left wondering if corporations are people, can they marry?
    Apparently they can…but only other corporations, and multiple times at that!
    Somehow everything in the U.S. seems stacked in the corporations’ favor these days.
    Gays still can’t marry in most states, and I believe polygamy is outlawed in all 50 states…
    Somehow I’m thinking that when the corporations get married they don’t pay any more taxes (if they pay any to begin with) due to the marriage penalty…

The United States needs to re-establish The Rule of Law at home before it pushes such ideals abroad…anything else is hypocrisy…but that would begin a whole other rant.

…can corporations go to jail?

or better yet, get the death penalty?

(rare for the big guys but apparently they can, Lehman Bros must have been a minority whose public defender wasn’t up to the job while AIG, Goldman Sachs, BoA and Citibank are all lily white with high priced lawyers, looks like maybe a fine here or there for them, but no hard time, much less the ultimate penalty)
    /end rant

2. miamiocean says:

I’ll believe corporations are people when one pops out of a human female’s reproductive organ

3. Futuredome says:

Capital Owners are people. Their Corporations are a slush fund.

4. BusSchDean says:

This “Supreme” Court will be infamous in history for reinforcing the notion that corporations are people.

People created corporations for the expressed purpose of leveraging human ingenuity (i.e., gather capital to expand an idea, process, etc.) and now corporations helped create processes that leveraged people right out of their income, savings and retirement. Humans are a clever species.

5. Moss says:

Too bad Charlie Rose did not ask Mitt and the other GOP round table participants that question.

The answer t0 that single question would tell you more about them than any of the other gibberish.

6. 4whatitsworth says:

Corporations can be taxed and sued and so can the people who work at corporations in addition corporations help limit the liability of risk takers. In my view this is not a bad thing. The banks that loan large amounts of money to these corporations without a personal guarantee is another matter especially when the government bails these banks out with our resources.

My problem with the corporate idea is that most of the people in corporations do not take their responsibilities seriously and why should they it’s not their money. When the going gets tough the Ivy league officers typically get going and let everyone else clean up the mess then once the mess is cleaned up they come back and reorganize the company and skim the cream off the top. Then the final part of the process is to commiserate about all those underfunded pensions and un kept promises. Government organizations are not much better. I think the root of the problem is that there is no shame in the United States no shame for company leaders that run good organizations into the ground and fail to provide a future for their employees and no shame for political leaders that run local governments into the ground and fail to sustain basic services.

7. louiswi says:

The really tricky thing for corporations will come when they are asked to recite the “Pledge of Alllegiance”.
    This is long overdue in my way of thinking.

8. jpmist says:

That’s funny as hell. So if corporations are people then the Supreme Court needs to remedy the discrimination against human people that’s imbedded in the Federal tax code.

Since I’m in the business of making it thru another day, I’d like to be able to deduct my house, health insurance, food and car just like corporate people get to.

9. swmnguy says:

Just as long as gay corporations can’t get married, we’ll be all right.

10. BusSchDean says:

swmnguy: Well corporations do have an active and undiscriminating sex life — they will __ any other corporation.

11. SteveinMaine says:

Is it really possible that I’m the first person to point out that the company’s name was Arthur Andersen, not Arthur Anderson?