I am up at the Basin Harbor Club in Vergennes, Vermont. I am giving the opening keynote speech after dinner at 8pm.

I am about to step on stage to speak, when someone says, “Hey, didja hear Steve Jobs died?

WTF?! I am rocked back on my heels. I go to Apple’s website, and it is — of course — simple, elegant, eloquent. I am sure the 1st half of my speech sucked.

Some worthwhile items to see and read if you want a round up:

• Steven Paul Jobs, 1955-2011 (WSJ)

• Steve Jobs, Apple’s Visionary, Dies at 56 (NYT)

• Apple Fans From Cupertino to Singapore Mourn Passing of Jobs  (Bloomberg)

• Steve Jobs’ 2005 Stanford Commencement Address (Video)

• Pogue: Steve Jobs: Imitated, Never Duplicated (NYT)

• Steve Jobs’s Best Quotes (Digits)

• His Life, His Companies, His Products (NYT interactive)

• boingboing goes old school Mac Classic (bb)

• Mossberg: The Steve Jobs I Knew (WSJ)

• Tech honchos remember Steve Jobs (Digits)

• A Look Back at Steve Jobs of Apple (Dealbook)

• Jobs’s Death Draws Outpouring of Grief and Tributes (NYT)

UPDATED

• iMemorial: Steve Jobs honored on front pages, magazine covers, news & tech websites (Poynter)
• Steve’s Seven Insights for 21st Century Capitalists (Harvard Business Review)
• Jobs’s Death Leaves Hollywood Without Tech Envoy (Bloomberg)
• O’Brien: iPad shows Steve Jobs’ real genius (Mercury News)
• Guest Column: Steve Jobs, Obsession, and Those Whales (Wired)
• The Wizard and the Mortal: Two Sides of Genius (NYT)
• The Power of Taking the Big Chance (NYT)
• Steve Jobs (New Yorker)
• Steve Jobs, the Perfect CEO (Wired)
• Steve Jobs: The best of the obits (Fortune)

Category: Technology

29 Responses to “In Memoriam: Steve Jobs”

1. And suddenly, the world changes

2. dsawy says:

For those who knew Jobs, even only slightly, the news in late August that he was stepping down from day to day duties told us that his time was short. He wasn’t a guy who was going to walk away voluntarily from doing what he loved, he had to be forced to step down.

I’ve worked with and programmed Macs since 1985, at companies that partnered with Apple when Jobs was there at the start of the Mac, then in the late 80′s and through the 90′s when Apple was changing out CEO’s every few years. It was really disappointing to see Apple nearly be destroyed by a succession of incompetent management hacks, and it was quite refreshing to see Jobs turn the company around when he returned.

Sadly, the track record in the industry of computer companies that were started and run by such strong leaders who then have to make do with the sort of “talent” that comes out of MBA schools is not good. Examples from the minicomputer era are DEC, Wang, DG… all started and led by visionaries of their own, and all failed after the founder(s) left. We can hope Apple doesn’t fall prey to this trend (again), but the odds aren’t good.

3. Chief Tomahawk says:

Sad. CNBC put him up with Edison — high praise indeed!

4. JerseyCynic says:

Every time I turn on an apple device, I bless myself and say…. “THANK YOU Steve Jobs”.

now, every time I power on, I will picture him hard at work, perfecting an “Ascension App” that will take us all into the Fifth Dimension.

Steve Jobs will live on forever

5. jonhendry says:

Overheard earlier in heaven: “What is this rococo gate bullshit?”

6. “…The real lesson in Steve Jobs’ passing, then, is not “oh wow look at all these cool gadgets he left us” — because that’s the juvenile view — but rather “what can we learn from Steve Jobs about staying authentic in our own lives and our own decisions?”

What I’ve learned from Steve Jobs is that staying true to your vision is far more important than being commercially successful or collecting material wealth. Walking a path that gets your face on the cover of business magazines requires too much compromise of ethics and principles. The business community, after all, doesn’t usually celebrate real geniuses who share things with the world and make nothing from it. It only celebrates those who find clever ways to extract billions of dollars from the hands of consumers…”
    –by Mike Adams

“Dare to be true. Nothing can need a lie:
    A fault, which needs it most, grows two thereby.”
    – George Herbert

[1593-1633] Welsh-born English poet, orator and Anglican priest
    Source: The Temple (1633), The Church Porch, Lines 77-78

7. jonhendry says:

Please don’t ever quote that fraudulent scam artist snake oil peddler Mike Adams. The guy is telling people not to use chemotherapy or radiotherapy. That’s evil. There’s no other word for it. He’s telling people to forgo the only treatments that work, give all their money to crooks, and die painful lingering deaths.

8. CF says:

Memorable Steve Jobs Quotes

On Computing
    “It takes these very simple-minded instructions—‘Go fetch a number, add it to this number, put the result there, perceive if it’s greater than this other number’––but executes them at a rate of, let’s say, 1,000,000 per second. At 1,000,000 per second, the results appear to be magic.”
    [Playboy, Feb. 1, 1985]

On design
    “It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.”
    [BusinessWeek, May 25, 1998]

The best sales line
    “Do you want to spend the rest of your life selling sugared water or do you want a chance to change the world?”
    [The line he used to lure John Sculley into becoming Apple's CEO, according to Odyssey: Pepsi to Apple]

On character
    “I’m the only person I know that’s lost a quarter of a billion dollars in one year…. It’s very character-building.”
    [Apple Confidential 2.0]

On good design
    “That’s been one of my mantras — focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking clean to make it simple. But it’s worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains.”
    [BusinessWeek, May 25, 1998]

On his outlook
    “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me … Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful… that’s what matters to me.”
    [The Wall Street Journal, May 25, 1993]

On his role at Apple
    “This is not a one-man show. What’s reinvigorating this company is two things: One, there’s a lot of really talented people in this company who listened to the world tell them they were losers for a couple of years, and some of them were on the verge of starting to believe it themselves. But they’re not losers. What they didn’t have was a good set of coaches, a good plan. A good senior management team. But they have that now.”
    [BusinessWeek, May 25, 1998]

Having pride in your product
    Playboy: “Are you saying that the people who made PCjr don’t have that kind of pride in the product?”
    Jobs: “If they did, they wouldn’t have made the PCjr.”
    [Playboy, Feb. 1, 1985]

He’ll always come back
    “I’ll always stay connected with Apple. I hope that throughout my life I’ll sort of have the thread of my life and the thread of Apple weave in and out of each other, like a tapestry. There may be a few years when I’m not there, but I’ll always come back.”
    [Playboy, Feb. 1, 1985]

Have faith in the future
    “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.”
    [Stanford commencement speech, June 2005]

On your working life
    “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.”
    [Stanford commencement speech, June 2005]

On the importance of death
    “No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.”
    [Stanford commencement speech, June 2005]

Don’t sit still
    “I think if you do something and it turns out pretty good, then you should go do something else wonderful, not dwell on it for too long. Just figure out what’s next.”
    [NBC Nightly News, May 2006]

9. number2son says:

Nice set of quotes, CF. I had my first experience with a computer on a Mac II. But I’ve been a WinTel developer my entire career and have never owned an Apple product. That said, I appreciate the singular talent of Steve Jobs and the difference he has made in computer technology and product design. He was an American original. And even for people like me, he has had a tremendous influence on our lives.

One thing we can all count on, even in these dark times, is that America still holds the promise that another man or woman with the same type of vision and talent as Steve Jobs will come along and create great and positive change.

10. Petey Wheatstraw says:

Very sad.

Most remarkable was that the man wasn’t driven by a lust for money or power. Amazing what happens to a person and a company when the goal isn’t always and foremost the bottom line.
    _____________

Polonius:
    This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man.
    Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!

Laertes:
    Most humbly do I take my leave, my lord.

Hamlet Act 1, scene 3, 78–82

11. Greg0658 says:

Nice set of quotes, CF

“On the importance of death
    “No one wants to die. Even people who … gradually become the old and be cleared away … ”
    my mind brought forward > corporations the bailouts and the tarps > not 6 feet of coverage but the temporary hide’g type

never owned Apple .. took the masser marketed PC route to save a highly needed buck .. but I realize the mouse and the desktop publishing realm was his companies mind .. r i p :-| .. I wonder if he will take the glow’g blackhole path or chain himself to earth work in the 6th dimension :-|

12. JerseyCynic says:

Grego658 —

..”October 4th, something exploded on the far side of the sun and propelled a spectacular CME into space. The Solar and Heliospheric Observatory recorded the cloud as it emerged from behind the sun’s limb..”

his cue?

13. bjorn says:

What a brave soul we have lost.
    Unfortunate for us all. What an inspiration, especially in the last few years.
    Unfortunate for investors in Apple.

The death of Steve Jobs can be expected to greatly hamper Apples’ efforts to motivate and direct the existing Apple culture. The company may have other internal leaders, but individuals who possess the charisma and background of Jobs are difficult to come by. The Apple franchise is certain to face a significant setback.

When considering companies with global objectives and reach such as Apple, we need to recognize that there are several components necessary for such companies to conduct successful operations, including finances, logistics, planning, training and intelligence.
    But at a higher level, there is also the distinction between those elements of the company that are dedicated to operations and those who are focused on ideology. While physical operations are important for obvious reasons, the ideological component is also critically important because it allows a company to recruit new talent, maintain the ideological commitment of those already in the company and help shape public perception through controlled media exposure. Because of this, the ideological component is especially important for the long-term viability and continuity of Apple.

14. Transor Z says:

Smart lad, to slip betimes away
    From fields where glory does not stay
    And early though the laurel grows
    It withers quicker than the rose.

Eyes the shady night has shut
    Cannot see the record cut,
    And silence sounds no worse than cheers
    After earth has stopped the ears:

Now you will not swell the rout
    Of lads that wore their honours out,
    Runners whom renown outran
    And the name died before the man.

-A.E. Housman

15. MorticiaA says:

R. I. P. Steve Jobs

@CF: Thanks so much for the quotes. Outstanding, and an appropriate tribute.

16. franklin411 says:

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

August 11, 2011, 12:22 PM — A Silicon Valley district attorney announced yesterday that the DA’s office would not to indict the reporter who bought an important piece of evidence for a great story on a key subject for his publication because he was not acting out of financial greed or criminal intent.

It was a good decision from Steven Wagstaffe, San Mateo County district attorney, whose staff had to weed through the evidence gathered during a police investigation fueled by a Steve Jobs temper tantrum who had behaved like a criminal, who was an idiot and who may have acted properly during the loss and recovery of a piece of Apple property with roughly the national-security status of the plans for a stealth ICBM.

17. gps says:

Are we over reacting. Steve jobs didn’t invented computing or anything like that. He is a real marketing genius and I believe that in tech marketing no one really could come close to him. He is not an inventor. He made things simple for people to understand and he created impact in design. He is not an inventor and I guess people are comparing him to someone who has created something truly new. Smart phones were before I-Phone, but he made it attractive for people to use. Kindle was before Ipad, but he made I-Pad simple and easy to use. He didn’t invented anything. He is a marketing genius, no doubt in that, but is he a real inventor? This is not a criticism, but a reality check. I’m a mere mortal.

18. overanout says:

Steve understood marketing,advertising, and fashion and applied that to consumer electronics. His competitors came from the engineering ranks and looked upon appliance electronics as boxes that would be purchased based on circuit design or performance spec’s. Steve run Apple with an iron fist and his passing will completely change the corporate ideology and decision making.

19. lippard says:

I second jonhendry. Sadly, Steve Jobs is another person who delayed legitimate medical treatment in favor of quack treatments, only getting a Whipple procedure and liver transplant after his quack diet failed. Had he gone straight to the legitimate treatment he might have had a few more years of health (he survived a couple of years less than the median rate for early treatment). http://skeptoid.com/blog/2011/10/05/a-lesson-in-treating-illness/

20. darth beta says:

What no quotes from the Chinese migrant workers who made his gadgets or from the 3rd world rare earth metal miners?
    The world will miss this inspiration that taught us to be dependant on technology- to view the world through the eyes of a technocrat instead of naturalist.
    The world is a better place now that I can sit on the train and listen to my 3000 songs instead of having a conversation with the human next to me.
    And I am so glad I carry around a pocket full of CIA developed human mapping algorithms.
    And mother earth must be shedding a tear today, these devices were no strain on the environment, completely green!
    Not sure what us mortals will do next- google save us please!!!

21. GPS:
    iPads weren’t even Apple’s first attempt at tablet computing, were they? Remember the Apple Newton? Or Palm and their short lived success?

22. JerseyCynic says:

“Think Different”

Here’s to the crazy ones.

The misfits.

The rebels.

The troublemakers.

The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.

They’re not fond of rules.

And they have no respect for the status quo.

You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them,

disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them.

About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them.

Because they change things.

They invent. They imagine. They heal.

They explore. They create. They inspire.

They push the human race forward.

Maybe they have to be crazy.

How else can you stare at an empty canvas and see a work of art?
    Or sit in silence and hear a song that’s never been written?
    Or gaze at a red planet and see a laboratory on wheels?

We make tools for these kinds of people.

While some see them as the crazy ones,
    we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think
    they can change the world, are the ones who do.

23. ssc says:

“CNBC put him up with Edison”

Yikes, leave it to CNBC, talking about comparing Apple to light bulb.. As brilliant and important as Jobs was, he was a visionary and not a hands on designer/implementer. It would be more appropriate to compare Woz to Edison.

24. curmudgeon2000 says:

As I believe in de mortuis nil nisi bonum, I must now remain silent.

25. Livermore Shimervore says:

I don’t think Apple will do as well without him. Sure in the long term Ipads and Iphones have not yet penetrated every market anything near its maximum. Plenty of green left in the apple for the Ipod an all its derivative products. But the genius at Apple was not that there was some amazing inventor, a modern day Edison, which Jobs was not — more like a genius of refinement. Instead Apple had a CEO who spotted the genius in other’s and their ideas and wasted no time in brinigng them into the Apple company sphere. Is there anyone at Apple today that has anything close to this talent? I think we would have heard of that person by now. The Iphone is already falling behind the tech curve and Samsung has already outbuilt the Ipad2 in a single Apple product cycle. Which shows the downside of relying on third parties to execute your blue prints. If someone can’t come up with a razor thin 10″ retina screen, a 4G battery that also thin and long-lasting and the company that can is the target of your litigation, a direct competitor, then you’ve left yourself with limited options while the others move forward. Those are situations that demand a person with Jobs’ ability to see a plan B where one doesn’t yet exist. I really have to wonder who was groomed to be the next thumbs up or thumbs down person at Apple. Without that person this level of continued success both as far as profitability and market share is going to be a challenge. And I don’t see another Ipod type revolution on the horizon, mostly because Apple’s main competion for too long were limited to Microsoft and dozens of smaller players who didn’t have a common, well-designed OS to share. That’s all changed now. Jobs is exiting when the competition are finally starting to look good.

26. SANETT says:

So back in antiquity we were doing this deal over at Apple. The newly hired engineering manager (too new for major options) was vainly trying get some information for us from a subordinate. Couldn’t find him, seems he was out in the parking lot doing donuts in his new Ferrari. SJ ran a great, chaotic and, sometimes like a drunk finding his way home, ironically effective organization. The authority curve was (hopefully still is) flat with people having the authority to get stuff done. Sorry he headed out early.

27. jonhendry says:

Lippard, I would suggest reading Orac’s take. He’s an oncologist, and he didn’t think highly of the skeptoid post:

28. Thor says:

“Good riddance to bad rubbish.”

Franklin – your parent clearly did a horrific job raising you.

He’s dead for fucks sake. What kind of a person says that about someone who just died.

And we wonder why this country is so fucked.

You are a worthless piece of shit boy.