Click to enlarge graphic:

Source:
How Much Money Will Consumers Spend This Holiday Season?
Mashable, November 1, 2011

Category: Consumer Spending, Digital Media, Retail, Web/Tech

8 Responses to “How Much Money Will Consumers Spend This Holiday Season?”

1. mathman says:

Now that 1 in 15 of us is in the ranks of the poor, i’d expect “not much.”

The propaganda is running out of believability, the dream world with its “holidays” and all that consumerist non-sense is rapidly coming to a screeching halt. People are struggling with necessities.

Forget it.

Or better yet, “see if i can get me one a them 3 a.m. cargo loadin’ jobs down the FexEx or sumpm. Coupla months work any how. i can live in my car, while i still have it, in their parkin’ lot ‘n’ g’down the soup kitchen after work if they’re still servin’ an’ they don’t run out like las’ time. “

2. Julia Chestnut says:

I’ve started, and I’m not going to do a lot more. Blessings hide in odd places: a couple of years ago things were horrible, and there wasn’t much money. We had a tiny Christmas – even my family wasn’t able to send stuff. I made most of their things, mailed it all in one big box and figured they would see each other soon enough to hand things around. My kids had 3 things each under the tree and there was nothing for my husband and me. Santa brought two things for each kid and a couple of stocking stuffers.

You know what? It was fantastic. Never had a better Christmas. In fact, on Christmas Eve, we dug through what we had already and took it to the ONE place that would take used toys in excellent condition – instead of only things in the packaging. The people doing the collecting thanked my children truthfully for their donations, and we have never been so grateful for what we had.

I won’t be going back to the old way, even now that we’re back to a more comfortable place. It doesn’t feel right. We’re scouring the dollar bins and gathering things for “Operation Christmas child.” I wonder how many people lived through the past few years and wound up like my family? Among those I know well enough to discuss it, the ethos has definitely changed. It’s one of the few things that gives me a little hope, frankly.

3. ToNYC says:

How fitting to remember the birthday God with stuff he never cared for, in places in white and instruments of solid gold he avoided, suffering congratulations he never saw.

4. Futuredome says:

I have a multi-step program for Christmas sales
    1.Securing the borders. I am not just talking about just aliens(even though that is a important part) but economically as well. Republicans always use the Orwellian speak here. They love the free flowing borders. Period. Not only do they care little about aliens, they love foreign capital owners far more than than they do for workers that vote for them. It is up to the workers that vote for them to grow a brain and understand they are using you. Notice how they want big fences but never attack the company that hires the aliens. Once goods are repriced and aliens dissolved, we will have secured the first step
    2.Credit deflation/Public inflation. Basically it is time to get rid of the misallocation of resources from credit the long(started in 73) credit boom and underfunded public investment. Without public investment, any credit deflation would be destructive. The US economy would collapse and we would be under the threat of foreign takeover. With the major public investment, the public will provide themselves the infrastructure to grow new business and defend ourselves from foreign aggression. Without it, you have paleo/neo-con agenda of foreign takeover under the guise of nationalism that would destroy us.
    3. Dissolving of the Oligarchs. Getting rid of those business operations that prey on America such as in Health Care is key. Once they are gone, markets can operate functionally again without elevated costs that the Oligarchs bring

These steps would revive America. No longer under the whim of capital owners, we would have healthier, hungry workers. Adventurious,ambitious young businessmen ready to start new enterprises to boost domestic production. America would be whole again. One with itself. Christmas shopping season would seem worth it.

5. Jonathan says:

I think for Christmas this year I’ll be buying all my friends copies of Bailout Nation. That is the only gift left that is really worth the price in this economy.

6. Francois says:

31% plan to spend more than 700$?

Huh huh!

And 99% of respondents plan to seriously and religiously follow a program of daily exercises and eating more veggies and fresh fruits…eventually!

7. 37% spending more? I think this survey was either taken on Wall Street, or possibly with Main Street Merchants trying to talk up the market. It certainly wasn’t taken from American families sitting at the kitchen table looking over their budgets.

8. Lariat1 says:

@Julia: my sentiments exactly. When you get rid of all the extras and gifts just to have piles under the tree,that is when you learn that less really is more. A simpler way to live.