As we have discussed, from 1979 to 2007, inflation-adjusted incomes of the top 1 percent of households increased significantly versus the rest of the wage earners (i.e., the remaining 99%). Those even better off, the top 0.1 percent (the top one one-thousandth of households), saw their incomes grow 390%.
In contrast, incomes for the bottom 90 percent grew just 5 percent between 1979 and 2007. All of that income growth, however, occurred in the unusually strong growth period from 1997 to 2000, which was followed by a fall in income from 2000 to 2007.
Is this wealth concentration a global phenomena, or is it a US centric? Lets go to the global data, via Credit Suisse Research Institute’s Global Wealth Databook:
And as a reminder, here is the recent growth in the US data, via EPI:
Source: Economic Policy Institute
UPDATE: November 1 2011 12:51pm
David Wilson of Bloomberg News points out that a rising Misery Indexes worsens the income-gap effect:
Accelerating inflation and historically high unemployment are magnifying the economic effects of income inequality, according to Sean Darby, a global equity strategist at Jefferies & Co.
The U.S. misery index, which increased in September to its highest level since May 1983. The indicator is calculated by adding the 12-month percentage change in the consumer price index to the jobless rate, as compiled by the Labor Department.
Darby cited the gauge and its U.K. version in a report yesterday. In September, the U.K.’s index rose to its highest reading since March 1992 after more than doubling in the last two years.
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.