Some longer form reading to kick off your Sunday AM. Pour a cup of joe, grab your favorite chair & iPad, and have at it:

PIMCO blows a kiss to Fed Chief: Ben Bernanke, The Decider (Pimco)
• How Wall Street Occupied America (The Nation) see also Bloomberg’s Long War Against Protests (The Atlantic Cities)
This is your brain on Credit: Researchers Show Using Credit Card Induces Euphoria (Red Tape)
• The American-Western European Values Gap (Pew Global)
These guys don’t screw around! Chinese Fund Managers Sentenced to Death after Cheating Investors out of $1 Billion USD (The China Money Report)
• Millionaires ask Capitol Hill: Please tax me more! (Boston.com)
• NPR, Ayn Rand, And The Zombies From Outer Space (Stonekettle Station) see also 100,000 ‘Atlas Shrugged’ DVDs Recalled for Perfectly Hilarious Reason (Gawker)
• The Palinization of the GOP (Washington Post)
• Nook’s Specs Are Exaggerated, Again (NYT) see also Kindle Fire: An open letter to Jeff Bezos (The Register)
• 2M nanorods crammed into cancer cell (Futurity)

What are you reading?

Category: Financial Press

19 Responses to “Weekend Reads”

1. hungbeef says:

Barry wrote the book — Now we get a chance to see how the ultimate bailout will play out. I remember when Time Warner bought AOL or ALL OF THE OTHER TOP MAKING TRANSACTIONS out there. Inflation or Deflation it does not matter. This is going to be a big TOP in the markets no matter how you slice it.

2. rip says:

Hope these links work. NYT has been running some great political cartoons.

3. econimonium says:

I’m fascinated by the Pew study results. It’s an indication of what is happening for the future, actually, and what is passing away. Everyone should look at it, especially the Republican Party, although the unfortunate thing is young people don’t vote in the same numbers older ones do.

But a couple of things jumped off the page for me: the more educated, the less religious and thinking that America is above all. Also the younger you are, the less likely you’re thinking this way. It’s sort of interesting to speculate on why, but since I’ve been teaching at the college level since 1988, I can corroborate some of this and sort of explain it.

Younger people travel more, are now exposed to other people on a world-wide scale, more are college educated, and technologically astute. All of these combine to give a less insular world view, and are decidedly more secular. If I asked the question in 1988 “Do you think you have to believe in God to have good moral values” it would have been shocking. If I ask the question now, it’s a debate that would clearly come down to the side of “no”, as more of them are aware of other religions and, frankly, sick of hearing about people being killed because of it. I would love to do a study that’s premise would be “the attacks in 2001 directly led to a decrease in the West’s religious participation as strong religious fundamentalism among the young became more repellent with the scenes of murder and devastation”. It’s really something to think about for the religious set now…they’re probably driving people away.

Case in point: when I grew up there were three LARGE temples around me, all full all the time. 2 of them are now for sale. I have no friends left that attend on a regular basis, with most of them just “going through the motions” for major holidays in a cultural sort of way. Same for most of my “Christian” friends. Which leads me to ask, how many of the respondents answered in such a way as they thought would cause little controversy, or in a nominal way? Interesting for the near term and long term future.

4. rd says:

Re: B&N Nooks: I don’t like untruthful marketing, but the reviewer’s snide remark about why you would need the ability to insert a card misses a major benefit I have found about the NookColor. I can download and store a lot of technical pdfs directly from my computer onto the NookColor MicroSD Card and then read them there instead of needing to power up my computer. This also makes doing technical word processing, spreadsheets, and e-mails on my laptop easier because I can be looking at reference documents, drawings, and specifications on my NookColor while doing work related to them on the laptop without having to be flipping between windows.

The NookColor is also much easier to read on an airplance in the cattle car section where it is often virtually impossible to open up and use a regular laptop comfortably because the seats are so close together.

Granted, the average person doesn’t do this, but it is very useful feature for me.

5. rd says:

The US is taking a slightly different approach than the Chinese to people who commit fraud on investors. It appears that the US has elected to simply pepper spray and then jail the victims instead as well as making sure that they won’t get their money back.

6. with this..
    • 2M nanorods crammed into cancer cell (Futurity)

We may do well to ponder..

“…Until now, few adverse effects have been found for this virtually unregulated technology. Yet, that may simply be due to the relatively few studies that have been done in the rush to find ever more and profitable nanotech applications. Nanotechnology, the science of the extremely tiny, is an important emerging industry with a projected annual market of around one trillion dollars by 2015. It involves manipulating or building new materials from atoms and molecules; silver and carbon are now the most important building blocks. The nanomaterials are far smaller than a human hair and can only be seen with powerful microscopes. A nanometer is a billionth of a meter, while a human hair is about eighty thousand nanometers wide. An atom is roughly one-third of a nanometer across, and nanoparticles are groups of atoms that are typically smaller than one hundred nanometers. The tiny-sized materials often have unique properties that differ from the properties of their larger scaled versions. Nanoparticles lend their success to the extraordinary, and sometimes highly unusual, properties they have. For example, tennis rackets made with carbon nanotubes are incredibly strong, while the larger pieces of graphite easily shear apart. The medical industry is investing heavily in nanoparticles to create precision drugs that can target specific tissues, such as cancer cells. While some of these new materials may have beneficial applications in medical procedures, wound dressings, and pharmaceuticals, concerns are growing that they may have toxic effects. In particular, nanoparticles have been linked to lung and genetic damage. In a new British study, researchers discovered an unforeseen process, dubbed “toxic gossip,” by which metal nanoparticles inflict genetic damage to DNA, even through walls of tissue that were not physically breached. Researchers called the finding “a huge surprise,” particularly since the billionth-of-a-meter-scale particles appear to have wreaked their havoc indirectly. Now, for the first time, a scientific study has established a clear and causal relationship between human contact with nanoparticles and serious health damage….”

7. Jojo says:

China vice premier sees chronic global recession
    Sun Nov 20, 2011

BEIJING (Reuters) – A long-term global recession is certain to happen and China must focus on domestic problems, Chinese Vice Premier Wang Qishan has said.

“The one thing that we can be certain of, among all the uncertainties, is that the global economic recession caused by the international financial crisis will be chronic,” Wang was quoted by the official Xinhua news agency as saying at the weekend.

Wang’s comments were the most bearish forecast ever by a top Chinese decision-maker about the world economy, and Beijing’s worry about a worsening global environment could translate into an impetus for pro-growth policies at home.

8. JerseyCynic says:

PRAISE THE LORD and pass the pot for a refill — BEST SUNDAY MORNING OPINION PIECE ever

Now we’re getting somewhere, Connecticut!… Superintendents Pressing For State Education Overhaul

“…The recommendations even suggest that there may be a need for fewer superintendents in a new system that would focus on children, not adults; on increasing opportunities, creativity and school district capacity, not compliance; and on emphasizing personalized teaching and learning instead of grouping students by age and measuring their progress by via “seat time.”

It’s a first step on the way to breaking up the dept of education (or at least the current system of design that was really pretty much outdated 2 decades ago and I won’t EVEN get started with NCLB)

I hope they are willing to send this video out to parents for required viewing before the discussion opens up:

Bye bye Central Office

Maybe I’ll finally get someone to seriously think about starting “The Dude’s” el Sistema program around this area

Dudamel: Conducting a Life | Tavis Smiley | PBS

9. Jojo says:

Report: 1 in 5 of US adults on behavioral meds
    November 16, 2011

NEW YORK (AP) — More than 20 percent of American adults took at least one drug for conditions like anxiety and depression in 2010, according to an analysis of prescription data, including more than one in four women.

The report, released Wednesday by pharmacy benefits manager Medco Health Solutions Inc., found that use of drugs for psychiatric and behavioral disorders rose 22 percent from 2001. The medications are most often prescribed to women aged 45 and older, but their use among men and in younger adults climbed sharply. In adults 20 to 44, use of antipsychotic drugs and treatments for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder more than tripled, and use of anti-anxiety drugs like Xanax, Valium and Ativan rose 30 percent from a decade ago.

The statistics were taken from Medco’s database of prescriptions and is based on 2.5 million patients with 24 months of continuous prescription drug insurance and eligibility.

10. nofoulsontheplayground says:

I believe the Chinese death penalty kicks in for graft above 1-Million RMB (about $157,000).

I actually knew a Chinese woman who was caught stealing from a Chinese government company and whose crimes put them above the 1-million RMB threshold for the death penalty for graft in China. She were put under house arrest for a few years, and I lost track of what happened after that.

The punishment is administered somewhat arbitrarily there, but think of its applications on Wall Street!

11. LLouis says:

” Millionaires ask Capitol Hill: Please tax me more! ”

Can’t they just give more of their money to charity groups, social organisations, or create more jobs themselves … ?

I read that they can give money directly to the government (federal, states, …?), but then any more money they give to the government voluntarily or through more taxes will be sucked in a black hole of debts, astronomical expenses and corruption.

Could they pay off public debt directly ? Exemple: Buffett, Gates and a few hundreds or thousands of these 1% people directly pay off $100 billion or more of the debt (federal, states …). The government(s) could give them that possibility. Maybe that is too direct or naive…

12. Greg0658 says:

LLouis – if they pass to much via freewill they open their management to being accused of not maxing profits using those OPM (OtherPeoplesMoney) .. or if it’s TheirM they weakening themselves in relation to their rivals
    & open up to takeovers
    why we need a long tail gradual increase’g tax (on some metric) that keeps the smallfish from become’g whales but allows a smallfish to be a Marlin … the long tail is not set in lawstone* but floats with the Seasons, the Tides, the Elections

* – floating rate that allows governmnet to cut spending or increase spending (with a general consensus) ie: a true not for profit redistribution

13. mathman says:

A snapshot of the “other side” in a Boston Globe Big Picture spread:

How long before people are reduced to this here (lack of “formal” employment)?

Police brutality in the face of peaceful protest at colleges makes it look like another Kent State event is just around the bend:

14. Mark Down says:

Sunday’s St. Pete Times ..great story about Sci Togs Money Machine! Sorry no linky!

15. JerseyCynic says:

JoJo that is such a funny kind of story!

I guess Lynette really did get the ball rolling for the Rx industry on Desperate Housewives back in ’04!! (Who’s that woman?) I remember tuning in to the first season to see what it was all about. I could relate. I had 3 teenagers, 3 jobs — was working round the clock selling toxic real estate — was a personal assistant to a retired insurance exec. , and something else…. oh that wife thing. A MASTER GATHERER!! (my husband was out hunting for the REAL paycheck & bene’s)

I never quite freaked out like her:

I never took an antidepressant — oh wait — I did years ago to quit smoking — worked like a charm!!

went off of it asap. I do remember some years ago during my annual exam when my doc asked how the rat race was going and I kinda went off on him Matt Taibbi style : you mean life? I want out of the current way it is going — it’s really getting to me…. “This is a visceral, impassioned, deep-seated rejection of the entire direction of our society, a refusal to take even one more step forward into the shallow commercial abyss of phoniness, short-term calculation, withered idealism and intellectual bankruptcy that American mass society has become. If there is such a thing as going on strike from one’s own culture, this is it…..” ~MT 11/11/11 (something like that — I think w was just re-elected)

He actually wanted me to consider “taking something”. I couldn’t believe it. I said no thanks — this world is too crazy — I don’t want to miss anything.

Funny that the article doesn’t mention Adderall — I wonder how many men are on that one

16. JerseyCynic says:

mathman — we need to get crazy sports fans involved (I think I know where I could find some) to show them how to take care of the po-po’s
    Police Brutality – Handled the Way It Should Be