We first mentioned Amy Winehouse in April 2007. She was yet another talented UK vocalist who took cues from the past, but with a modern twist. her style was to freshen up the classic soul sound of the 1950/60′s girl groups, with smoky depths of a jazz chanteuse. Stylistically, she was a mash up of Billie Holiday and Ronnie Spector.

On to the new album, Lioness: Hidden Treasures. To quote Rolling Stone, “This is a sad record. A grab bag of outtakes, unreleased tracks, demos, covers and song sketches, these recordings feel like a gut punch. They remind you, first and foremost, of that voice – one of pop music’s most instantly recognizable vocal imprints, a sound that leapt out of your speakers and seized you by the ears. Here, as always, Winehouse’s singing is both raggedy and dramatic, winking and insouciant, full of high drama and a breezy sense of play – sometimes all those things at the same time . . . It’s hard not to believe that Winehouse died with her best work in front of her. We’ll never hear those records, and the silence is deafening.”

Videos & Pictures and more after the jump . . .

Videos

Here’s a stripped down acoustic version of Valerie, that does a nice job showing off her voice:

She gives the same treatment to the big single Rehab

and to You Know I’m No Good

(Studio video for You Know I’m No Good video)

and Love is a Losing Game

The title song, Back to Black and Tears Dry on Their Own

Picture below

Source: Amy Winehouse

Category: Friday Night Jazz, Music

10 Responses to “Friday Night Jazz Waste: Amy Winehouse”

1. joeyprat says:

Her from Back to Black are her strongest work I believe. She has a lot of fun with the covers. “To Know Him is to Love Him” is Amy at her dramatic best, with all the emotion one could ever imagine in a vocal performance – perfect.

B-sides

2. Joe Friday says:

Shades of Joplin.

3. rd says:

It is interesting to see that Tony Bennett reached out to Amy Winehouse, Lady Gaga and others on his recent Duets II album. He appears to have looked beyond their sometimes outrageous appearances and theatrics and instead reached straight for their singing talents and they responded in kind.

4. deanscamaro says:

“…..their sometimes outrageous appearances and theatrics….”

Don’t know anything about her, as I haven’t even heard her. Didn’t she die a druggie? I guess that’s the world we inherited from the lost generation.

5. theexpertisin says:

Every generation has their “pop artists”. We’ll see if Winehouse, Gaga, Maddona, Nelson, Buffet and others of like ilk stand the test of time, which by my arbitrary standard is thirty years hence.

Let’s at least admit that pop artists do not equate to outanding musicianship and virtuoso standards, varied styles and impeccable accuracy reading and/or improvising music. Sorry, marketing does not make the cut.

While I enjoy current popular musicians, compared to the artistry of Van Cliburn, Bernstein, Shostakovich, Pavarotti, Charlie Parker, Marsalis (Wynton),Goodman (Benny), Fitzgerald (Ella),Mozart, Bach, Cavallini, etc. I know there is gulf a mile wide and ten miles deep between the Mozart’s and the Gaga’s.I enjoy them all. regardless.

Crooners such as Sinatra, Bennett, Martino, Martin, Buble and Bennett are a hybrid. Their style, repertiore, quality musical arrangements and, for the most part, their multi-generation longevity will make interesting studies for musicologists indefinitely. They are in an interesting musical place, as were the crooners of earlier generations and civilizations.

While it is cachet to look at Amy as a true artist, my take is that there are better vocalists exercising their craft at nightclubs and jazz venues in many areas of the world. Bennett likes to heap praise on a plethora of artista as he is a generous man prone to extending this courtesy.He is exceptionally generous to his studio and backup musicians – ask them if you meet ‘em. Amy was not unique in this regard.

For those who think Winehouse is a primo vocalista, may I recommend the best active vocalist you never heard: Janice Borla out of Chicago.

6. Jim Hancock says:

“Back to Black” and “You Know I’m No Good” seem like her autobiographical funeral dirge and obituary respectively.

Another “27 Club” …so sad. The only good thing I can see is that it’s good that great physicists don’t die at 27 or we would still be living in caves.

Thanks for bringing her to my attention Barry …I did not listen to this great music until I read about it on your blog. Truth in everything, eh? :)

7. Christopher says:

I doubt her music will stand the test of time very well….perhaps that would be different if she spent more time creating and less time wasting her talent and health so foolishly.

I see AW just another life tossed on the trash heap of pop culture…..spoiled, fattened, and killed by fast money and faster predators. She was consumed by the very fame she so desperately sought…as many before her….and undoubtedly many more to come.

8. woolybear1 says:

A sad saga but, not a great singer.

9. pecker says:

She makes an appearance in the Strat Pack concert (50 years of the Fender Stratocaster).
    It’s hard to believe it’s the same girl.

10. orvil tootenbacher says:

deanscamaro Says:
    December 9th, 2011 at 9:59 pm
    “…..their sometimes outrageous appearances and theatrics….”

thanks for verifying your stupidity with this inane douchey comment. lot of really really bad music pontificators here. (e.g. “We’ll see if Winehouse, Gaga, Maddona, Nelson, Buffet and others of like ilk stand the test of time, which by my arbitrary standard is thirty years hence.”) as in jimmy buffet and the nelson twins? bahahahahaha