Amazon is running a one day special on the Cuisinart DGB-550BK Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker for $49. AMZN list price is $189, (its typically $99-129).

The last time Amazon ran this one day special it was for $59.

Regardless, $49 is a great price for a very decent grind & brew coffee maker. Makes a great gift, or a backup machine.

If you want to spend appreciably more, you easily can. The Capresso equivalent (w/o the thermos carafe) runs ~$162. And my favorite coffee maker, the Capresso 465 CoffeeTeam (Burr Grinder and Thermal Carafe) is $198. Its a great piece of machinery at a premium price.

You can always go classic Bodum French Press ($26) but its nowhere near as convenient as the combination of a grinder/timer/thermos.

Previously:
Your Coffee Sucks!

Category: Consumer Spending

40 Responses to “Cuisinart Grind&Brew Coffee Maker $49”

1. Disclosure: I get a modest fee from Amazon for any product linked to, but more importantly, I get a rich trove of data that allows me to do things like this:

Books Bought By Big Picture Readers
    (November 2011)

2. MayorQuimby says:

French press is supossedly bad for your health (I’m sure following the financial markets isn’t doing wonders for one’s blood pressure either) but DAMN is the coffee delicious.

BR: Never heard that — what is the problem with it?

3. mathman says:

Fascist government is also bad for your health, sanity and “security” and it too SUCKS:

this is from a weather and natural disaster guy!

4. USSofA says:

Cuisinart DGB-550BK Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker … great in theory, poor in practice. The idea of automatic fresh ground and brewed coffee in one step looses its luster when you have to clean the damned thing. The steam from the brewing process infiltrates the grinding cup and leaves you with a muddy mess to disassemble and clean. The grinder is nothing more than a little food blender that pulverizes the beans. After a while the cleanup routine becomes so intolerable that you go back to loading it with preground coffee.
    If you want fresh ground, buy a separate grinder that can adjust to the grind size you like.

5. USSofA — I dont disagree, its a very decent $50 Grind & Brew, but its not a precision piece of machinery.

If you want to spend 4X, get the Capresso — its whats on my counter at home (the Cuisinart is out at the beach house)

6. Irwin Fletcher says:

Thanks for the post.
    My father-in-law is a master roaster (sells to gourmet coffee houses) and he gives us
    great, fresh roasted coffee beans or ground. Then I make it shitty with a cheap coffee maker.
    Just yesterday I told my wife, “That’s it, I am tired of having the best roasted beans in the world and making crappy coffee with a cheap machine”.
    Your post couldn’t have been more timely.
    Thanks!

7. ssc says:

For coffee fanatics,I highly recommend http://www.sweetmarias.com. Happy Holidays to all.

8. bmoseley says:

thanks. bought it.

9. Bill Wilson says:

Have you ever tried a vacuum pot? It’s a little more work, but it’s fun to watch and the flavor is good. It’s weak compared to a french press, but the flavor is very smooth. Yama sells a pretty good one for about $40.

10. Bob is still unemployed   says:

I had a Cuisinart Grind ‘n’ Brew machine that I tossed away a few years ago. Aside from the aforementioned cleaning problem, the darn thing was obnoxiously LOUD during the grind cycle. I’m talking “have to leave the kitchen” LOUD.

It was, literally, the last thing I wanted to hear every morning.

I bought a separate grinder and have been happy ever since.

11. Bob is still unemployed   says:

re: French Press

“… But a cholesterol check may be in order for people who use a French press or percolator to make their coffee or who prefer espresso or other varieties of unfiltered coffee, according to Dr. Michael J. Klag, the vice dean for clinical investigation at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore.

In 2001, Klag and his colleagues reviewed more than a dozen studies that looked at the relationship between coffee consumption and cholesterol levels. They found that drinking an average of six cups of coffee a day was associated with increased total cholesterol and LDL, the harmful type of cholesterol. Nearly all of the rise in cholesterol was linked to unfiltered coffee.

The coffee culprit

Although caffeine is often cast as a villain, the stimulant is not to blame for unfiltered coffee’s effect on cholesterol levels. According to Klag, the increase in cholesterol is believed to be caused by oils called terpenes that are found in coffee, but are mostly removed by filters. …”

BR: I have very low cholesterol, but I am sure lots of people will find that good to know . . .

12. dougc says:

Where else can you find anything of comparable value, not even Walmart. Will make a great gift. Thanks for the post.

13. peachin says:

Of course – french press is the ultimate (prepared properly!) as for the other coffee makers from 29.95 to 5,000 well if you need a personal symbol to tell you who you are… go for it!

14. Moopheus says:

A decent stand-alone burr grinder and Melitta pour-over will make better coffee than any automatic machine.

BR–the oils in coffee have been linked to various health effects, notably cholesterol. Paper filters filter out most of the oils, which is why french press coffee tastes more rich. But because coffee is so complex chemically, it has been difficult to make really reliable determinations of the health effects of coffee.

15. BuffaloBob says:

Thanks for the heads up! Been looking for one of these.

16. Jack Damn says:

French Press coffee is fair, but it’s a poor method of extraction. There is also one paper out that says French Pressed coffee “raises bad cholesterol”:

You know you’re in trouble when medical studies single out the French-press method as the unhealthiest way to brew coffee. The problem? Coffee that’s not filtered through paper has more cafestol, a substance that affects the liver in ways that raise your lousy LDL cholesterol.

A better cup of coffee, and probably the best cup of coffee can be made, comes from using the Chemex method. Drip coffee is the idea method for extraction, but standard drip coffee makers do it poorly. Thus the reason the Chemex method is superior to any other way to brew coffee.

17. cbatchelor says:

I would be leery of giving this as a gift because some people, such as USSofA, think it’s messy. I don’t have a problem with it, but it might depend on how you set it up in your kitchen. More likely, it’s how you approach coffee overall. If you are super-duper fussy, you’ll want to build an altar to coffee in the kitchen, this is not likely enough. If you don’t give a rip about your coffee, this is waaaaaay to much trouble.

For me the Cuisinart DGB-550BK Grind-and-Brew is the middle ground. We’ve had ours for about a year. And this is a very good price. It takes about two paper towels, a sink and 90 seconds to clean it up. That is not a short amount of time for some people for some people who have watched me do it, others–like myself–find it no big deal. We use Peet’s House Blend in the morning and a local roaster’s decaf in the evening. It makes a much better cup of coffee than the Cuisinart standalone grinder we used for several years and, overall, it’s less messy it terms of the grounds spilling here and there AND we have more counter space–always a good thing. It is especially nice in the morning to have fresh ground coffee easily if you set it up the night before.

18. edbashford says:

no no no…the Cuisinart is just a pain too use especially if you have to clean it in the morning…..best get the Breville Youbrew which works 10X better (and only 6X the price..so really a deal at $299)

19. ssc says:

Jack Damn, Chemex is great, first used it in the early 70s, amazingly, 40 years later, the design is still the same and I have a large and a small to this day.

The 2 drawbacks of Chemex are: 1) I have yet to find a satisfactory method to keep the coffee from getting “cool” while it’s dripping. 2) I like to have the hot water “sit” with coffee for a few minutes before it starts to drip and there’s no control on that with Chemex (or just about any other dripper).

20. cambrian says:

Great coffee maker, but I agree with the above, it gets gummed up after a while. If you are an occasional Coffee drinker this is great, but after destroying two of these I now make my big pot of Cafe Bustelo every morning in a regular Cuisinart machine. I need to pour it into my carry cup to drive in and it starts to get inconsistent. On the other hand, I never thought of this machine as messy, perhaps because I had been grinding my coffee in another machine prior to this and I believe grinding coffee is just inherently messy. So now on weekends, I grind my ethiopian coffee, and on weekdays I drink Miami’s finest using another Cuisinart machine, I am impressed with their output.

21. bobmitchell says:

Much easier to clean than a french press, and most other “moka pots” out there. Head and shoulders above the Bialetti varieties.

Espresso isn’t the right word for it. I have large aluminum one and it’s enough for 1 large cup of strong coffee. The coffee grounds are well contained (to go the the garbage), and the rest of it wipes clean easily with hot water.

22. rfk says:

A really good bean, roast, and grind are key, but are consistently inconsistent, even if you get if from cult classic shops such as Stumptown or Oso Negro.

The one constant that can take your brew to a higher level is great water, if you don’t have access to really good spring water then reverse osmosis may make a huge difference , particularily if you are on city water.

23. Here is my bottom line: This is a good Grind & Brew coffee maker at a cheap price.

If you want an excellent machine, get the Capresso for $200.

If you need a decent backup, get the Cuisnart for $50

24. jib10 says:

The key to a good cup of coffee is the temp of the water. You need it around 190 to get the most out of the beans. Counter top coffee makers just dont get the water hot enough.

I used a Cruisinart Grind and Brew for a while. It is convenient and I did not find it hard to clean but it made mediocre coffee. I dumped it for a french press and coffee grinder. I actually dont think the amount of work for making coffee with the french press is any more than the amount of work cleaning the Cruisinart. The only difference is when you do the work, before you make coffee with a french press and after with the Cruisinart.

25. pintelho says:

USSofA put it exactly right. Plus mine just died the other day (after like 5 years) and I hadn’t used the grinder feature in more than 3 years. Grinder sux ballz. If i am going to grind every morning anyway I’d rather just go Bodum.

26. flocktard says:

I have the standard Cuisinart (sans grinder) and I find it does make a decent cup of coffee. However, I remain parochial as ever when it comes to my coffee choices- Chock Full O’Nuts, Savarin, Maxwell House, all of the old time labels make a more satisfying cup of Joe than any of the fancy stuff. I have a small Krups grinder at hand for those few times I experiment.

27. JackS says:

Barry, thanks for alerting on this Amazon deal on the Cuisinart 12 cup auto coffee maker. For a drastically reduced price such as this I may want to give it a shot although I’m generally not that much excited over grind ‘n brew all-in-ones which at times may be good-for-nothings. Cuisinart has some good machines, that are not free from their flaws, as seems ever to be the case with the low-end coffee makers. Here are some reviews of Cuisinart coffee making machines. They have some nice features, and are priced high accordingly.

In regard to the french press, well, that is a method very different from drip coffee. The advantage of french press coffee is that it is very rich and flavorful. Then there are the Cold Brew and the Pour Over methods. They are much cheaper than the automatic coffee makers. There’s more than one way to make coffee, of course.

28. JackS says:

Barry, thanks for alerting on this Amazon deal on the Cuisinart 12 cup auto coffee maker. For a drastically reduced price such as this I may want to give it a shot although I’m generally not that much excited over grind ‘n brew all-in-ones which at times may be good-for-nothings. Cuisinart has some good machines, that are not free from their flaws, as seems ever to be the case with the low-end coffee makers. Here are some reviews of Cuisinart coffee making machines – http://www.coffee-makers-guide.com/coffee-making-machines.html. They have some nice features, and are priced high accordingly.

By the way, you wrote that Amazon runs a one-day special on the Cuisinart DGB-550BK Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker (or is this included in “argue against things I have neither said nor even implied”???).

However, checking on Amazon’s site, I do see the price of $49, yet no mention of “one day special.

Also, the Cuisinart DGB-625BC Grind-and-Brew 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker, Brushed Metal – and also other Cuisinart coffee maker models are significantly reduced on Amazon. Are these only limited-time offers?

29. uzer says:

had a grind and brew but it quickly became just a brew when the realization came to be that grind and brew required clean and dry

30. Andre says:

Well, I’m sorry to be a damper on this coffee klatch, but I’m really not inclined to buy from Amazon when I see a story like this: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-allentown-amazon-complaints-20110917,0,7937001,full.story

And the Morning Call is not a socialist rag, with Lehigh Valley being a pretty conservative neighborhod. As a former supervisor/manager, I’ve known for a while that you get your best performance from treating employees decently, which Amazon thinks, evidently, is not as important as remaining the world’s leading retailer.

Costco sides with me and they’re doing well: http://i-sight.com/employee-relations/employee-relations-best-practices-costco/

BR: I linked to that Mcall story months ago.

31. WaveCatcher says:

Whata sweet trip down memory lane as I recall reading your original 2004 post, and now give you full credit for me eventually buying the Technivorm Coffee Brewer With Thermo Carafe, which has been making the neighborhood’s finest coffee ever since!

32. Mike in Nola says:

Amazing how much discussion a sale on coffee maker can generate. We have a plain cuisinart brewer that I settled on after our previous couple of machines would randomly decide to flood the counter with coffee. This one never has after a couple of years.

Re: French press
    We had one in the Paris apartment we rented recently. Made some of the best coffee I’ve had using a fairly cheap variety of Lavazza we got at the Carrefour. It was about 60/40 Arabica/robusta. So I bought a press when we got back. Trouble is, you can’t get that blend here. Have tried some, but none match the taste and almost all preground is espresso, not suitable for a press.

33. JimRino says:

I have one of these. It doesn’t get the water up to temperature, and the pot doesn’t hold the coffee’s temp for long. It’s worth less then $49.

34. laBear says:

Thanks Barry….your ‘free’ email just cost me $49! lol…

35. low-tech cyclist says:

I’ve got a grind-and-brew (I think it’s a Cuisinart, but I’d have to go home and look) that has been working fine for several years now. Sure, cleaning’s a nuisance, but it takes about a minute and a half each day – BFD.

Main problem currently is the catch on the lid broke along the way, so I have to hold it down for the ~40 seconds it’s grinding each morning, and after that I can hold it in place with a piece of cardboard while it brews. So I’m ready to replace it at the right price.

I guess I have to start opening TBP on Sundays (I usually only read it at the office), this is the second time I’ve missed a good Sunday-only deal on this machine. Now, of course, it’s back up to $87.50.

36. danielbanks@gmail.com says:

Technivorm KBT-741. Very simple, made in Holland, great copper heating element, thermal carafe, brews at precisely 195-205 degrees F. It’s not cheap but you will get an outstandingly rich brew without bitterness. Check out this glowing review:

37. Technivorm KBT-741 $300 for a brewer?

Geez, thats a lot — for less money, I would go with the French press if I have to grind my beans and then brew them

38. TimmyB says:

Barry, if you like coffee as much as it seems, then you need to take the next step and roast your own beans. Try this coffee roaster, the Behmor 1600 Roaster. It sells for $199.

If you roast green coffee beans at home, then you have the freshest coffee. Plus, you can roast it as light or as dark as you like. Really, it’s the only way to go.

39. MChilds says:

Lame.

Wow, things must be bad in the investment business if Barry is reduced to shilling crappy coffee makers on Amazon.
    He’s just trying to shave money out of you guys. Here’s the link he uses, Amazon paying him for every sale he talks you guys into.

Seriously lame. :(

BR: Disclosed over and over, both on this post and throughout the blog.

I have always disclosed Amazon pays a fee for referrals, but more importantly, they give up a rich trove of data that allows me to do things like this: Books Bought By Big Picture Readers (November 2011)

Readers feel differently then you — they bought 276 of these plus a few Capressos (+ the ones I bought), spending nearly $15k.

40. [...] I am mostly delighted with the way it makes coffee.  This is a far superior machine to the Cuisnart DGB 550 mentioned a few weeks ago (Then $49; now [...]