A friend sends this quote, which I really like but have been unable to verify:

“Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.”
-Jim Trotter

Can any one confirm that is a real quote by Mr. Trotter?

Category: Legal, Philosophy

12 Responses to “QOTD: Give a man a gun . . .”

1. Richard8596 says:

Bob Rubin?

2. whskyjack says:

That reminds me of a Woody Guthrie quote

“Yes, as through this world I’ve wandered
    I’ve seen lots of funny men;
    Some will rob you with a six-gun,
    And some with a fountain pen.

And as through your life you travel,
    Yes, as through your life you roam,
    You won’t never see an outlaw
    Drive a family from their home”

3. AHodge says:

looks like its been searched a lot incl democratic underground
    which finds truther not trotter
    “Credited to Jim Truther on Facebook…and no, I don’t know if that last name is real or not.”

idea arround a long time including the title of Blacks 90′s? book
    the best way to rob a bank is to own one
    which i like better and is actually literally true

4. BWiSE says:

Reminds me of an Al Capone quote: “You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot further with a smile and a gun.”

5. eliz says:

Author of the quote appears to be unknown or anonymous. The oldest reference I found, in my fairly brief search, is from 12 August 2011, at forum.irishmilitaryonline.com/showthread.php?p=346263.

6. JerseyCynic says:

I’ve seen that quote around for a long time.

Sounds like something Bill Black would say to Pretty Boy Floyd!

The Best Way to Rob a Bank Is to Own One — William K Black

I think the pot heads started it…
    **coffeeshopdirect.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14580** (from my last trip to amsterdam!)

7. JohnnyVee says:

I believe Rothschild said it…just not as succinct.

8. amateurhour says:

Another good one from the Nation quoted in the book “The Hellhound of Wall Street” about the 1932 Pecora Commission (paraphrased):

“If a man steals $25 dollars he is a thief, if he steals $250,000 he is a mafioso, if he steals $25,000,000, he is a banker.”

9. GeorgeBurnsWasRight says:

Sent the Trotter quote to a friend, who responded with his favorite:

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a
    shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress” – John Adams

10. hue says:

i think it was Bill Kelsoe, “who said war nerves?” http://bit.ly/uBm2Lr

11. Blissex says:

That is just a variation on Brecht’s line in “The threepenny opera” that robbing a bank is a lesser theft than founding a bank.