Source:
Walmart Dwarfs Entire Industries And Nations
Fast Co Design, December 2011

Category: Data Analysis, Retail, Think Tank

11 Responses to “Walmart Dwarfs Entire Industries And Nations”

1. WyMi says:

A true american success story. Over 90% of slaves associated live below the poverty line. And their lives are simply fertilizer for the Pharoahs – for when they die W collects the insurance on their worthless lives.

2. theexpertisin says:

Wal-Mart turns up as a whipping boy every so often.

WMT has done more to assist the lower and middle class families in the U.S. than any welfare program. The dollar stretches farther for folks, and if that cuts margins at fat-cat distributors and closes non-competitive businesses who have been overcharging customers for years, good. Tens of millions of WalMart shoppers agree, voting with their feet, stepping into their local WalMart. These stores have what people want at an attractive price.

Personally, Wal-Mart’s produce and meats are not to my standard. I go elsewhere, almost always to local producers where I get fresh picked produce or custom slaughtered meat. The local producers are doing very well, judged by their homes, SUVs and manacured property. And I shop local for many other goods and services. I do not patronize Whole Foods and Fresh Market because of their outrageous prices. Snob appeal has it’s limits.

Close by WalMart’s are many strip mall shops and deep discounters such as Dollar General and Dollar Tree. Mom and pop restaurants proliferate the area. WalMart and these stores employ folks many of us would not hire because they are ill-educated and, for many, feature a dismal past employment record. Even the SEIU would have a hard time sponsoring them.

Will WalMart eventually do a Sears/KMart/Woolworth and implode? Probably, and another concept retailer(s) will take it’s place. That’s capitalism and freedom of choice. But for now, WalMart is the world’s largest retailer for good reason.

3. econimonium says:

We studied them in Business School…a top one I might add. We all were HORRIFIED by them. All of us. Capitalism run completely and utterly amok. The destruction wrought by them is on the scale of war. I urge people to do a little research: do an analysis on Walmart, Target, and Costco. Then you tell me if you have to treat your employees like crap, sell your consumers inferior goods under brand names (where the brand, in order to meet Walmart’s demanded price drops the quality significantly to eek out a profit) and destroy local businesses that actually pay much, much better and offer better goods and services. AND, btw, they’re prices aren’t much lower than anyone else’s.

Let me repeat myself for the sake of clarity. You realize that “brands” that sell to Walmart a lot of the time make/manufacture/change the size of their items specifically to sell to Walmart. Take jeans. There is less stitching, the quality of the fabric is far poorer, and there is no “fit” to speak of just very standard manufactured sizing. Tshirt cotton fabric is thinner and has less threads per inch. Same with socks and footwear. Food and cleaner’s sizes are different so that, unless you pay attention to the unit pricing you’ll never notice. So bottom line: nothing lasts as long. Price as the only measure and not VALUE. And if you are low income, VALUE should be your driver not PRICE. Our grandparents knew this.

I have never set foot in one since then, and no one I know has. It’s a shame people are just so utterly stupid that they’re drive themselves into poverty looking for a cheap bottle of “Sam’s Cola”. Especially when they could have bought a case of real Coke at Costco for even less, from decently paid people who can get benefits. Walmat == evil in my book.

4. econimonium says:

Let me translate theexpertisin’s post for you so you don’t have to read it and stab yourself in the forehead with a sharp object:

Yeah, Walmart is good for those poor people. Thank God I don’t have to shop there. But I’m not so high-falutin’ that I shop at Whole Foods! No sirree even though I get fresh picked produce and freshly butchered meat, unlike those people at Walmart who have to settle for the crappy grades but what the heck, they’re poor right? But I’m not a snob so I don’t get me no fancy latte or imported cheeses!

And you wonder what’s gone wrong with this country.

5. Greg0658 says:

WyMi .. IF that were true ie: Walmart customers and shareholders purchase insurance and name the Corporation as the beneficiary (primary or secondary) that would be an appalling use of capitalism/socialism laws .. I would expect the Insurance company is the Corporation hense is self insuring .. my mind is reeling with concepts

42nd President Bill Clinton was on theView today – best saleman ever for the Arkansas based mega corp & Chinas rural peasants

“will WalMart eventually do a an implode” .. another will take its place – its what you’all want

(not a perfect lyric sync to the topic but its a good song & background while you browse the chart)
    The Verve Pipe – “What You Wanted”

6. blackjaquekerouac says:

my favorite Wall Street story which “has the added value of being true” cuz i’m into truth is Sam Walton coming to Wall Street to raise a big pile of dough due the fact that “he thinks they can ramp up to 100 billion in revenues.” He was laughed out of town and “ridiculous.” And of course he wound up 300 billion instead! There are no more retarded people in finance than Wall Street people…and they have not served to disappoint three years running! Resorting to stealing client money and getting away with it “cuz we’re politically connected” i imagine still makes for a feel good story of course. Of course “anyone who talks politics relative to finance knows nothing about either.”

7. theexpertisin says:

econominium:

I get it. You don’t love WalMart.

I’ll stand by my observations.

8. formerlawyer says:

One comment struck me with respect to this:

From: “meringuehead 22 hours ago

What about the many employees that come from low income families that climb the Walmart ranks from to very well paid management positions? Check out the tax weight of Walmart.

* $36,000 a year for free or reduced school lunches, assuming that 50 families of employees qualify.

* $42,000 a year for Section 8 rental assistance, assuming that 3% of the store employees qualify.

* $125,000 a year for federal tax credits and deductions for low-income families, assuming that 50 employees are heads of households with a child, and 50 employees are married with two children.

* $108,000 a year for the additional federal contribution to state children’s health insurance programs, assuming that 30 employees with an average of two children qualify.

* $100,000 a year for additional Title I expenses, assuming 50 families with two children qualify.

* $9,750 a year for the additional costs of low-income energy assistance

Overall, the committee estimates that one 200-person Wal-Mart store may result in an excess cost of $420,750 a year for federal taxpayers. How many of those 200 employees “climb” to a well-paid management position?”

This article speaks of some of the the lowest paying jobs in America (aside from agricultural workers) the restaurants workers and how there are no, repeat no national restaurant chains, that treat their employees with dignity. They call them McJobs for a reason.

I wonder how many of these jobs also have “tax weight” to them?

9. Union Agitator says:

Walmart pays very low wages, and buys stuff from companies that pay very low wages. Is that a disease or a symptom? If the country wasn’t on its ass, there wouldn’t be so many people willing to work for them. Poor people are good for walmart.

10. Greg0658 says:

Is that a disease or a symptom? .. it just … originally created in 1860 by Milton Bradley

11. EMichael says:

They are worse than what you think, no matter how bad you think they are. Tax avoidance by an incredible variety of schemes from subsidies to law suits.

People that shop there should be ashamed of themselves. And as noted earlier, if you think you are getting more for your dollar, you are sadly mistaken.