Someone asked me a great question the other day: What is the best software or website sites to track your portfolio?

I had to answer “I don’t know.” There are lots of good pro options — in the office, we use Bloomberg ($1600 per month) and Morningstar ($500 per month).

But what are the decent free or reasonable consumer grade sites to track your investments? I have played with Marketwatch, Yahoo finance, Wiki Invest — but since I have everything on TD (our analytics are elsewhere), I never really got a feel for the strengths and weaknesses of each of these.

So, let’s consider this an open thread — what are your favorite portfolio management tools?

Category: Investing, Markets, Web/Tech

50 Responses to “What is the Best Portfolio Tracking Software/Sites?”

1. I use yahoo finance (Y!F), because the site is accessible on all devices I use including android and blackberry.
    I’ve recently started using seeking alpha’s portfolio tab, something that was ignored in the years an account was created there for posting comments.

google finance is similar to Y!F but I find it too much of a “copy” and too bland. Plus, news doesn’t go through google. You get more news fed to Y!F.

Seekingalpha’s news alert is quite good: you can manage your portfolio in one “portfolio” unit, and then create another “portfolio” for news alerts that are sent to your email.

2. A7L-B says:

Wow.

What do you get for $1,600 and $500 per month?

BR: Bloomberg is the full terminal — news, analytics, charts, on stocks options, bonds, currencies, commodities — if it trades, you can access a full suite of data on it. The gold standard of data

Morningstar allows performance comparisons between portfolios, mutual funds, equities, ETFs etc. Here is how THIS allocation did over the past 1 5 10 20 years versus THAT allocation. Very helpful tool for pros

3. jaymaster says:

I’ve used yahoo! for 15+ years. It’s the only part of yahoo! I use. Mostly just because of familiarity, I suspect.

All of my trading is done through Vanguard. Their tracking tools are OK, but require lots of clicks. Yahoo! shows me everything I want to know on one screen.

I should add the caveat that real time info means nothing to an investor with my approach.

4. Steve Hamlin says:

Build your own with Google Spreadsheets, using the GoogleFinance function in cell formulas to return live and historical market data. If you manually input a few other variables periodically, and it can be as complex and customizable as you want, with the ability to publish certain parts of it as a public or shared webpage.

Pros: you can construct a spreadsheet for simpler analysis: asset categorization, sumif by categories, calculate sub-category yields and duration and beta, do a comparison of individual holdings and overall portfolio vs. indexes, with life-to-date and annual gains and outperformance against indexes.

Downside: doesn’t automatically adjust holdings for re-investments, nor do advanced comparative portfolio analysis (Sharpe, R^2, although you might be able to build them)

See https://support.google.com/docs/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=155178, and apply your spreadsheet skills.

5. YoZone says:

QuoteTracker owned by TD Ameritrade. Free with account. Otherwise small annual fee.

6. jnemonic says:

Google finance ain’t bad but can be improved.

7. gorobei says:

I write pro trading systems for a living, but for the life of me, I can’t see what I would even want out of a consumer tool other than a monthly statement and a bond/CD browser.

8. Drizzt says:

I think financial times FT.com have a pretty good one as well. You don’t have to be a paid member even! Alot of sites don’t do is that if you invest for dividends and you need to update that into your portfolio they don’t work! FT.com is able to track back that dividend payout details and enable you to add them into your portfolio. Another good thing about FT.com is that they have stock quotes from international exchanges including Singapore etc. If you want quick glance at 5 year data for foreign stocks that is the place.

On a seperate note if you are trader and do not hold long most of those wiki invest work ok.

My advice? Start your own tracking with the help of Google Spreadsheet. You can create a pretty competent spreadsheet that Auto Updates prices from Google Finance or Yahoo Finance. Best thing is its on the web so you can assess it anywhere you can.

I created my Stock Portfolio Tracker google spreadsheet because i hold the stocks for longer term, so there are many dividends, bonus issues, splits and rights issues that i want to keep track of. on top of that, for international investors, most of these web site do not do your obscure stuff well.

You have 2 kinds of inputs for your stock holdings google finance, or yahoo finance. Yahoo finance have more data so if you want obscure stocks listed on Brazil stock exchange you can get the symbol off yahoo finance and input into this spreadsheet. No more input yourself after setting up! The prices auto updates.

Do make a copy of this spreadsheet and modify it. For bloggers you can even embed the sheets in your posts.

Here is my detail guide to how my spreadsheet work and why i created it in the first place >> http://www.investmentmoats.com/stock-market-commentary/portfolio-management/introducing-our-free-stock-portfolio-tracker-spreadsheet/

Barry do remove this if you think its in violation of posting guidelines. Cheers

9. Frilton Miedman says:

I’ve tried Yahoo, Marketwatch, Bloomberg’s free portfolio tracking, and numerous others (admittedly not yet wikivest)

Google finance’s portfolio tracking puts the others to shame.

It gives you a running total, cost average on each position, automatically adjusts cash balance minus trade fee’s, factors dividends, and it also gives you a chart of portfolio performance that you can add any equity or index to for comparison.

Google finance’s charts are superior for the fact that you can add multiple indice’s and equities to compare in percentage terms….same with the portfolio chart.

10. gordo365 says:

What about tablet/phone app? Just picked up a Kindle Fire – and would love to find a good app to track portfolio. The cloud I’ve tried from Amazon app store are pretty clunky and limited.

Happy new year

11. seth1066 says:

Google Finance is great for the non-pro. I trade off of IB and have the long term stuff in a major brokerage house.

I can find out what the long term holdings are doing from any browser equipped computer. Also, it accumulates dividends and shows it as cash, adding it to your portfolio total.

Another feature is it will chart all holdings on one line and you can overlay one or more index charts or a stock on top of it.

12. Frank Tobin says:

Various service providers like Vanguard and Fidelity provide account/portfolio aggregators, apparently powered on the backend by Yodlee. These services are decent, as they update your various account information daily, and provide a decent breakdown of your holdings by asset class and 9-box/sector/international weightings. I’ve used it to track holdings I have across many accounts, such as TD Ameritrade, Smith Barney (don’t ask), Firsttrade, my 401k, etc.

Vanguard’s service is only available to grandfathered clients for some reason, but Fidelity’s provides roughly the same service. I think T. Rowe Price offers the same.

13. Drizzt says:

hmm i only think tracking on smartphone level is not really long term. you are better off with a service that holds your portfolio in a online server and you can assess this on your smartphones.

14. ajeshp says:

Smartmoney was good, haven’t used it in a while though

15. Frilton Miedman says:

seth1066, you described everything Google does that IB offers, except that Google is free, unless paying for a tracker is the only prerequisite for a “pro”, can you outline what qualifies Google as sub-par?

Google is real time, it gives real time quotes and cumulative totals, it also automatically factors dividends….what’s the difference?

16. leonardo sbardelotto says:

TradeTrakker is a very good software to have installed in your pc. Cost me one time 19,99. It’s great to track splits, dividends and other things.

For short turm trades i have excel spreadsheet

17. Pantmaker says:

****Hands down Quotetracker…http://www.quotetracker.com/used them for years and recently Ameritrade bought them out. It’s free. Great for intraday and historical charting…any indicator you can imagine in has…can draw on charts…annotate etc. You can also use it has your trading platform directly linked to your brokerage. Take it for a spin you will love it.

18. RonSmithfan says:

I have been using Fund Manager (personal version) for at least the past ten years, needless to say highly recommend it. I have no connection or other interest in the enterprise. The author maintains a support Message Board and answers questions, issues, etc on a daily basis – at no charge.

19. anemone says:

Register as a user on T. Rowe Price’s website (no TRP account is required), then use their portfolio analysis tools, some of which are Morningstar’s, including the excellent premium portfolio x-ray. Note this is much better than Morningstar’s free “instant x-ray”, which is itself pretty good.

20. Scott Teresi says:

These days, an online portfolio tracker should connect to your brokerage account, download your transaction data, and give you a graph of your portfolio compared to the S&P 500. If you have frequent distributions, or you make monthly contributions or withdrawals, it should take that into account and still give you annual return data and 1-, 5-, and 10-year graphs. This is a bit much to do by hand with a spreadsheet.

I haven’t found any place that does this yet. Mint.com comes closest, but it lumps my short-term savings in with my retirement portfolio.

When I looked into Blueleaf.com and Wikinvest.com, they didn’t support graphing like this. Morningstar might be able to, but it can’t automatically retrieve my transactions.

21. nizer says:

Mint.com can track your portfolio, but I find it doesn’t track portfolio history very well. I don’t really trade that much so, I use a Google Spreadsheet, a little more complicated than, but similar to goo.gl/MVOHX. You can copy it if you want to use it to get started. Drizzt’s spreadsheet was too much for me and my brokerage keeps track of all my gains and loses, etc. I mainly want to know where am I now and track history. Plus, you can do other things like use FV formula’s if you want to see if you are on track to meet retirement or other goals.

22. Scott Teresi says:

I haven’t found any place that does this yet. Mint.com might come close, but it lumps my short-term savings in with my retirement portfolio.

23. TraderMark says:

Very impressive sheet Drizzt

If I want to use your template for myself how do I ‘copy it’ to my own google documents (never used google documents before) ? File/download or how do I mimic a copy that I can then populate with my own data? TIA

24. Minyan JR says:

I tweeted my response to this but wanted to add some color. The most able have the holy grail Bloomberg terminal which completes a lot of what Barry discusses above. But for the rest of us, getting along requires some patchwork, but overall I believe a very complete picture.

Cash Accounting – We use Intuit Quicken desktop for all products that get included in the portfolio in a year including stocks, bonds, options, forex, and futures. Additionally, an Excel add-in that generates an OFX file to load into Quicken facilitates quick entry when there is no download directly from a broker.

Tax Accounting – We use TradeLog. If you are a Schedule D or MTM accounting candidate with high volume, I have processed thousands of transactions through this software and our accountant is very pleased we have it. It destroys their process and systems, they can’t handle our specific volume.

Portfolio Tracking – We use Interactive Brokers, and they offer a paper trading account with a brokerage account. Aggregation of things can occur here with real time pricing.

Everyone has special needs, so not one solution will fit everyone. But we have a balance of advanced products, using retail software that provides to the penny accuracy.

Great post Barry, not enough time is spent on accounting. And we are not accountants.

25. Drizzt says:

Hi TraderMark,

1) I hope you have a google account but if you have not do sign up for it.
    2) Most of the instructions are in the post here >> http://www.investmentmoats.com/stock-market-commentary/portfolio-management/introducing-our-free-stock-portfolio-tracker-spreadsheet/
    3) Basically go to File > Make a copy to make a copy of the spreadsheet.
    4) Currently this is my actual portfolio so you would have to clear the data first to make it work for you. There are 2 main sheets that you will input your stocks and transactions. To specify the stocks go to “Stock Summary”. Once you specify the stock name, the google stock quote or yahoo stock quote here, you can then proceed to “Transactions” to enter your transactions.

I think for those who are interested in using my spreadsheet you can email me at drizzt@investmentmoats.com for questions about how to put it to use.

26. Drizzt says:

hi nizer the problem with spreadsheets is that they normally work best for the people that creates it =) for others it just seem a blur

27. constantnormal says:

I’ve used my own spreadsheet, which has been re-incarnated from Lotus 1-2-3 to Excel (3 thru 5), and NeoOffice after that. It’s similar to Drizzt’s but with some other wrinkles — I also incorporate all our other household finances into it (different sheets), including such things as mortgage amortization tables, life insurance records, all financial accounts, inventory of insurable items (with serial numbers), etc … it’s a one-stop shop for all our financial data. The one different thing that I do with the stock data is to generate charts of retirement accounts, taxable accounts, net worth, debt so that I can compare them at a glance and assess if things have been going less than well for too long. I’m a visually oriented sort. I’ve got a macro setup to pull closing (or current quotes) from Yahoo Finance — they have an excellent facility for programmatically fetching such data, something that Google Finance lacks — and another macro to turn the crank and apply that data to the spreadsheet and log another daily entry in the chart section.

It was some effort to set up initially, but I’ve been using it for well over a decade now (the version of 1-2-3 that I started this with was version 1A), and have never regretted the time spent getting a tool that did exactly what I wanted it to do.

28. Drizzt says:

Hi constantnormal i have a feeling that you have something much more comprehensive then me. Yours might be a one stop Quicken replacement.

The reason why i list Google Spreadsheet is because it is online and you are not so much tied to Microsoft (then again i end up being tied to Google….)

Anyway here is another set of instructions to make sense of my spreadsheet above

Instructions here

29. WNL says:

I would like to use Wikinvest or Mint.com to consolidate the accounts from multiple sources, but I cannot bring myself to give them usernames and passwords to my accounts – that sounds like financial Russian Roulette. If brokerages allowed us to create ‘view only’ access with different Usernames and passwords I would sign up in a heartbeat. Until then, I use quicken or See finance. Hardly optimal, but safer.

30. Paul says:

I had to write my own, since none of the ready-for-use sites have all that I’m interested in. For basic portfolio management, however, Google Finance is sufficient.

Sites I use: finviz.com, batstrading.com, finance.yahoo.com, bloomberg.com, eoddata.com, morningstar.com and money.msn.com (for their fundamentals — fastest updates I’ve found).

31. bram says:

iPad app… Total return
    Try the free version. The hard part is having to enter transactions using the iPad (can’t display multiple screens to enter data from one site to another.) but you can create and compare multiple portfolios. you can drill down into your portfolios and get useful info every step of the way. Worth a look.

32. t3rse says:

I’m very much an amateur but I’ve been using Wikinvest and it seems to work well. I noticed that some of the company information and financials are not up to date which is a minus but their portfolio page is good.

33. Drizzt says:

Anyone have a good Android one?

34. Orange14 says:

Yahoo finance is fine for me except the news feature for equities likes ‘Seeking Alpha’ blog posts which are mostly useless. I use a customized Excel spreadsheet for tracking everything since I’m interested in income as a retiree and Yahoo lets you import things pretty easily. Brokerage and mutuals are with T Rowe Price which has a nice website but I don’t necessarily want to login and out all day long. I also have a free Morningstar account (courtesy of T Rowe Price) which is good for some research stuff (but you still need to go to the SEC filings to really do the full homework.

35. rob says:

I have to agree with the 3 other posters. Quotetracker rules the roost for me! The few times I have had issues due to doing some quirky things with it, tech support was fast and responsive.

36. webdog says:

I use http://www.icarra2.com. I tried all the popular ones such as Yahoo, Google, Mint, Wikiinvest…. and nothing comes close what ICARRA offers (especially when it comes to tracking portfolio history and performance).

37. seth1066 says:

Response to Frilton Miedman:

The difference is I don’t want to go to all the trouble of unleashing the required multi-key entry high security password workflow on IB just to find out where the long term holdings went for the day. Same reason why I don’t use the name brand major broker’s website (where those securities actually sit) for just a quick glance. Other than the password issue the other problem is you can’t track securities for actual total value unless you own them through IB.

I think you misread my post, I give full kudos to Google Finance and use it several times a day. The “non-pro” part is the fact that I need tick by tick, various seconds and minutes charting to pull the trigger. And the chart itself can be the trigger on IB.

38. deanscamaro says:

I have always used Yahoo and am satisfied with it as a non-analytical, purely data tracking device. I look at it at a minimum of once a day and it fills my needs.

39. mpetrosian says:

For iPad/iPhone, I hate to admit it, but CNBC has the best app. Quotetracker otherwise.
    Where is BigPicture app?!!!

40. icm63 says:

We watch our stocks relative to the phase in cycle and trend strength. Price is the outcome. But market cycle and trend strength via the methods of Gann Wykcoff and Hurst keeps holding on to health positions.

We also watch stocks via their relative strength to the index. Thats how to win in the performance game.

41. crunched says:

Been using this for a couple years. It’s great.

42. Singmaster says:

No Quicken. Interesting.

43. hr says:

I use XLQ from http://www.qmatix.com/XLQ.htm

XLQ delivers stock market info to an Excel spreadsheet
    I use either Yahoo or MSN as a datafeed, though you can use others.

From their website:
    “Key Features include:
    Over 300 different formulae.
    Work with multiple data sources simultaneously (free and subscription).
    Historic, Streaming, Realtime, Delayed and intraday quotes.
    Detailed fundamental data (xlq provides an excel and com interface to AAII’s renowned Stock Investor Pro Database).
    Covers worldwide stock, index, fund, options, futures and currency data.
    Built in Trailing stop calculations and alerts via xlqCompanion.
    May be used through VBA to create custom formulae and analysis routines as well as via excel charts.
    XLQ is digitally signed allowing it to work on computers with tightened security.

XLQ connects automatically to excel allowing you to work with data in a layout and format that you want, allowing for complex in-depth analysis to simple portfolio management. If you know how to use excel, you already know how to use xlq. (an example xlqDemo.xls is provided with the install)
    Simply enter =xlqPrice(“YHOO”) into an Excel cell and you will begin receiving up to date data for Yahoo! automatically.
    Enter =xlqhVolume(“msft”,-1) will automatically display yesterdays volume for Microsoft.
    Enter =xlqhHighestHigh(“IBM”,”1/1/2011″) and xlq will return the highest price for IBM since the beginning of the year.”

A very amazing product!

44. thatguydrinksbeer says:

For Android, check out “Stock Research”.

45. Frilton Miedman says:

To seth1066 -

No misread at all, I legitimately wanted to know what the difference was, you answered perfectly and I agree, Google won’t give you any detail more minute than intervals of maybe several seconds ….and there are frequent delays.

For me, that’s fine for portfolio tracking, Google often has delays that force me to refer to my broker to check the real time price, but for my (crude) purposes it works – for now.

In my case I’m long/short, frequently making arbitrage plays, but not looking to buy/sell frantically through the day, I use the totals to gauge relative proportions so I know to buy, sell or cover, I generally ignore anything that moves under 1%, so a tick-by-tick intrasecond quote is moot for me.

46. Drizzt says:

thanks for the Android Tip

47. riffraff says:

For those that are using Quotetracker, be aware that TD Ameritrade is planning to wind it down soon. I got that info from QT Support. I suggest a call to Ameritrade to suggest they reconsider…

48. constantnormal says:

Tapfolio for the iPad is an interesting new widget. A real app, not a web app (although I don’t think that matters any longer, with the feature set available in html5). Free for the holidays, iPads only. It does automatic dived end accounting, which is nice, and makes good use of the tablet environment.

Free for the holidays at the app store. (pardon the commercial-like quasi-endorsement)

If it did bond tracking via CUSIP, it would be a much more useful tool. But then that applies to a lot of these things. I’ve sent in my (lengthy) feature set wish-list, other iPad users who try it out (free forever, but I suspect that meaningful improvements will be in a separate “Pro” version that will not be free — just a guess) are encouraged to do likewise.

49. Scott Teresi says:

Here’s another that I might look into:

It can import your brokerage data directly, if you’re comfortable with that, and appears able to make some nice graphs of total return.