According to USA Today, my choices for President are 1) John Huntsman; 2) Barack Obama; and (WTF?!) 3) Rick Santorum.

click for interactive webquiz

Category: Digital Media, Politics

37 Responses to “Candidate Issue Selection Quiz”

1. dan10400 says:

Huntsman, Obama, and Perry.

The options on the tax cuts were pretty limited. Same for health care.

2. Matt in HB says:

Obama, Huntsman, Romney . . . a reasonable result.

Retaking as a caricature of a nutty Republican and I get Santorum, Bachmann, and Perry. . . also a reasonable result.

3. viewwin says:

Gingrich/Obama tied top at 36.8% for me, with Paul at 30.1%. No wonder I feel like they are one and the same an more.

4. wally says:

I’ve seen this quiz on other websites and the interesting thing is that Obama is in almost everybody’s top three, no matter who their #1 is.

5. Petey Wheatstraw says:

I got Obama, Gingrich, and Romney. I wouldn’t waste a vote on any of them.

Multiple choice isn’t very good if the options you want aren’t among the choices.

Which would you prefer:

A: A goiter.

B: A benign but inoperable tumor hanging off of your face.

C: Gigantic buck teeth.

D: Open sores.

E: Some combination of the above, or none at all.

6. MidlifeNocrisis says:

Obama, Ron Paul, and distant 3rd was Gingrich.

7. Apinak says:

This exercise mainly demonstrates how constrained our choices are. I wanted to choose none of the above for most questions.

As usual no mention of campaign finance reform, the media doesn’t want to upset their multi-billion dollar gravy train.

8. Orange14 says:

Obama, Huntsman, Ron Paul I wasn’t surprised at all and some of the answers were too lame.

9. Mike in Nola says:

Yeah, I think the choices were much too limiting. No questions about financial reform. No option for universal payer on health care. Wound up with Obama, Ron Paul and Rick Perry.

10. NoKidding says:

Obama finished last for me, which destroyed my starting assumption that wally (comment above) was right.

I also expected the author to push him on me. Shame on me for prejudging.

Based on other reported results, it looks like it might be straight-up.

It called me a Ron Paul, which would be true… if Ron Paul were 15 years younger. Thats another escape from the constrained choice bin.

11. TheUnrepentantGunner says:

holy smokes, i have the rather bizarre combination of huntsman, bachman (wtf?), and then obama.

I am really near none of them.

good grief, i agree with them on no more than 3 out of 11 issues.

there is only one solution…

Barry Ritholtz for president!

Kidding. Sort of. well, i’d go work on his campaign if he ran…

12. A says:

Considering the lie-fest between the two top GOP candidates, USA Today (Barry) may be right…

13. Paddy Megroyn says:

I ended up with Romney, Obama and Huntsman. I had at least one common position with every other candidate except for Santorum and Bachmann.

While the survey’s not perfect, that’s a pretty reasonable result considering my overall view of the candidates.

14. pedrocpaguy says:

Using my own criteria rather than USA Today’s, I’d not only vote for David Petreaus over any Demobrat or Repup who’s running, I’d contribute money and darn near 24/7 volunteer time to help him get elected POTUS.

He’s one guy in Washington who does what he does because it’s the right thing to do for good ol’ USofA rather than for himself or his god-for-saken political party and/or ideology.

15. sanfran_values says:

I like the idea of the poll, but like a lot of other commenters note, I was constantly forced to choose “None of the above” because there was no liberal or progressive position offered. The answers were heavily skewed toward conservative positions. I don’t know if that reflects the bias of the pollsters, or the fact that Obama and the Republicans range from moderate to conservative — there’s no actual liberal in the race. For example, maybe there was no single payer/Medicare for all option for Healthcare because there’s no candidate supporting that position.

16. bytehead says:

What does it say when you’re only 3 out of 11 for your top choice?

17. Khav says:

Huntsman, Obama, Gingrich for me.

Like bytehead, I didn’t have any more than 3 or 4 with any one person. Kinda sad.

18. ES says:

Obama, then Ron Paul. Should’ve been the other way around, I think.

19. TR says:

Tired of time waisting politics, turns humans into crazy people.
    We have programs…the idiots that have been in office for decades trashed the balance sheets. Just fix it.
    Human rights…why the hell care who marries whom. View as R&D.
    Energy…we were in great shape when the dollar was 120+ to other currencies.
    Dollar parity…or more service industry (legalize prostitution, weed, ?, slavery, dormatories for the elderly who could process the new simplified tax reciepts and apprentice as medical practioners on each other to lower costs).
    Tax code…simplify and retrain the terminated employees and accountants.
    Social security & medicare…communal living greatly reduces costs, see above.

20. WFTA says:

Obama, Huntsman, and God help me Ron “The Lunatic” Paul.

21. Julia Chestnut says:

Obama, Huntsman, Ron Paul. Apparently, my “get out of Afghanistan” policy makes for strange bed fellows. I didn’t see anything like my position for taxes, climate change, or energy.

22. Frwip says:

Obama (6/11), bloody Romney and …. freaking Ron Paul ???????

Anyway….

23. mathman says:

i’ve had it with the duopoly and am refusing to play the game. Jill Stein (Green Party) or Rocky Anderson (Justice Party) will most likely get my vote, if the Occupy movement can’t do something completely independent beforehand. i’d encourage everyone here to at least look into these two and see what they say on the issues.

i, for one, could care less about “gay marriage” or “abortion” and only wish that the Republican candidates’ parents would have been the first one or practiced the other.

Over at Stinque, they wrote about the guy from the Bruins who refused to visit the White House:

“Our guest columnist is Tim Thomas, who plays a professional sport beloved by Canadians, and who refused to visit the White House with his team yesterday to celebrate winning a trophy named for Lord Stanley of Preston, the 1892 Governor General of Canada.

I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People.

This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government.

Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.

This is the only public statement I will be making on this topic.”

Bravo, Mr. Thomas

i’m having fun viewing the spoofing of the Republican’s campaigns there with creative slogans like this one in the comments section:

jwmcsame
    12:09 pm @Marcel Parcells: how bout some bumper sticker slogans for the fall?
    neuter newt: 3 is 2 too many
    mute newt
    moot newt
    shit on mitt
    swingers for gingrich
    newt swingrich
    who killed osama?
    M1%TT

24. MikeinMass says:

Obama, Huntsman and Perry for me.

Perry? PERRY??? I feel dirty…

Agree…questions were not focused enough.

25. Bokolis says:

Haha! I managed a 3-way tie (@53.8%) between Obama, Paul and Perry. If we can get that kind of chaos for the general election, we’ll be in for something.

26. Todd says:

When you only match on 1 or 2 issues does it really matter? You disagree on 9 or 10 and that says more.

27. Petey Wheatstraw says:

mathman:

Great bumper stickers!

28. InterestedObserver says:

@MikeinMass – Whew…., for a minute I thought I was the only Obama, Huntsman and Perry profile. No idea where Perry came from. Left field. Huntsman I understand.

29. philipat says:

Go Ron Paul

30. Robert M says:

I refuse to play this game. If Santorum came out as a viable candidate for anyone something is seriously wrong

31. louis says:

That’s weird I got Dimon, Fuld, and WTF? Greenspan.

32. 873450 says:

In defense of water boarding Santorum claimed he knew more about torture than John McCain.

33. Transor Z says:

Huntsman, Romney, Ron Paul. Agree that choices were too limiting. Also want universal payor and an option other than increasing fossil fuel production to reduce energy dependence.

34. CG says:

Ha, I got the same 1-2 as you, with an equally WTF #3 of Rick Perry.

Agree with an earlier commenter that the choices for tax policy were severely limited. Pre-Reagan top marginal tax rates anyone?

35. MikeDonnelly says:

Obama, Paul, and Huntman for me, exactly as I would have thought. Pretty accurate tool I’d say.