full graphic after the jump

click for ginormous graphic
Retail Holiday Winners & Losers [ infographic ]
FastUpFront – Business Loans And Retail Merchant Financing Company.

Category: Consumer Spending, Digital Media, Retail

6 Responses to “Winners & Losers: 2011 Holiday Retail”

1. Walker says:

Huh? Is this infographic really claiming that “hospital workers” = “hospitality industry”?

2. NoKidding says:

Re: Amazon vs Sears

This is exactly what was predicted 10 years ago – online retailers driving brick-and-mortar out of the market. It just took a littl elonger than expected.

The malls are now a place for:
    1) Subpar restaraunt chains (can’t get fresh warmed Cheesecake Factory sliders from Amazon)
    2) Clothing (for trying on before buying)
    3) Desperation buys (for guys who forgot about tomorrow and need the first article _tonight_)

Books, movies, technology, posters, linens, appliances – all online now.
    Big ticket durable goods moved off site from Sears to Home Depot/Lowes.

Malls are not done, but they’ve been weakened until government moves to subsidize them or penalize the
    competition.

3. wannabe says:

This makes me sad because I do love to get my die hard platinum batteries (rebadged high-dollar Odysseys) and craftsman tools at Sears. Was thinking about seeing if they can properly balance a tire because it looks like noone else I’ve tried can. Now I’m wondering if they’ll even be there in a few months.

4. Bob is still unemployed   says:

@Walker – Is this infographic really claiming that “hospital workers” = “hospitality industry”?

It certainly looks that way.

That’s one of the problems I have with infographics. A precious few of them are very good to excellent, and would make Mr. Tufte proud. While most others are colorful displays of ignorance and incorrect or misleading information – sweet superficial eye-candy to adorn a website.

5. Moopheus says:

People don’t go to summer vacation resorts in the winter? Jewelry is a high-margin business? Wow! Such insights! And apparently, there are four seasons, of which winter might be more than one quarter of retail sales! OMFG! I hope the analytical wizards who put this together are getting well paid.

6. donna says:

Well, since I refuse to shop at Walmart and am boycotting Amazon until they pay their taxes, I sent some love Penney’s way.And I bought most everything locally, some from crafters and artists. What I do buy online comes mostly from small shops for t-shirts and geeky gifts for the kids. We also gave “experience” gifts, going to a concert and restaurant gift certificates.

Please try to support local businesses as much as you can! And tell Amazon to PAY TAXES. They’re big enough to pay them now.