My afternoon train reading:

• Lunch with Kenneth Rogoff (FT.com)
• Facebook already went public, you weren’t invited (Fortune)
• Kant and Hume on Causality (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
• Here’s Why It May Be Time To Think Defensively (WSJ)
• Cancer rates triple among New York police officers who responded to 9/11 (Telegraph)
• In Piracy Debate, Deciding if the Sky Is Falling (NYT)
• The rise and fall of lap dancing (BBC)
• Gartner Says Western European PC Shipments Fell 16% in Q4 (Gartner)
• How Massage Heals Sore Muscles (NYT) see also How to live 100 healthy years (Market Watch)
• Blogosphere, We Get It… (Floating Path)

What’s on your tablet?

Ranks of Low-Risk Corporate Issuers Thin

Source: WSJ

Category: Financial Press

10 Responses to “10 Wednesday PM Reads”

1. reedsch says:

Matt Taibbi’s on a roll…

I’m still trying to put my finger on the difference between right-wing social criticism and left-wing. Lefties can certainly be smarmy, judgmental, and self-righteous, but they seem to be funnier and have a finer sense of irony. I’m still waiting for the Right to come up with their own Jon Stewart.

2. Joe Friday says:

The rise and fall of lap dancing (BBC)

Emanating from the Brits, I expected that headline would have read: ‘The Ups and Downs of lap dancing‘.

3. mark says:

re: lap dancing I’ll add an anecdotal data point. My local 24/7 sports talk radio station recently ran ads for two-for-the-price-of-one lap dances at a joint near the local sports complex. The local teams are drawing quite well and there haven’t been any changes to local ordinances. All we need is a third data point and we have a trend.

4. Gator81 says:

The US National Debt Clock, in real time. And a whole lot more.

Cool like a train wreck.

5. sbunnell says:

Perhaps not the right place for this comment, but I’m finding that the website just started defaulting to the mobile view on my mac desktop, and cannot be switched back. Oddly, on my iPhone, the website correctly gives the ‘desktop’ view I had selected. Thus – mobile view on desktop (undesired & not currently switchable), desktop view on iPhone (desired). Any ideas? Thanks!

6. sbunnell says:

And lo, the act of commenting fixes the problem. Bizarre. My apologies.

7. Rightline says:

not on my reading list….denninger

ot…fabulous virtual tour of the sistine chapel….

8. Russ says:

Barry, I’ve been TBP reader for four years now and have now registered to encourage your continued study of causation. I wondered last week if you would investigate further. Causation is one of the profound non-demonstrables. We know from experience that there must be such a thing, and Hume knew this, too. But he “woke Kant from his slumber” by pointing out that deduction, induction, and abduction just won’t get us from effect back to cause. And we haven’t made any progress on this matter in the past 300 years. We’re not even traveling Zeno’s paradox toward a solution.

Just be careful. If you don’t watch out, you’re going to start noticing how many other convictions that we rational folks take as verities turn out to be articles of faith, not scientific truth or fact. In fact, science itself relies on five or six articles of faith that cannot themselves be confirmed. Not that science is bogus. Boyle’s law seems to hold up, and I was (moderately) happy that my dentist had his Novocain for my last filling. It just isn’t the bedrock some wish it to be, though it’s still pretty neat.

So beware. If you’re consistent and persistent in your pursuit of the cognitive errors that plague finance and economics, you’re going to find other thinking errors and misapprehensions that will threaten our illusion of autonomy and self-validation. Next stop: religion.

Thanks for your regularly excellent reading lists and for keeping me well-grounded about the markets and the economy. Glad to be a TBP reader.

BR: Thanks for the kind words

Already have gone through most of the articles of faith, religiousity, belief systems — most are control mechanisms for keeping the rabble in line.

9. kaleberg says:

The big problem in Washington State wasn’t lap dancers, it was naked baristas pulling lattes at drive through espresso shacks. This might sound like a Starbucks joke, but it was turning into a serious problem and causing problems in some neighborhoods.

I was reading an article on place neurons recently, and the writer mentioned Kant’s discussio of the problem with trying to think using only pure reason. The brain, it turns out, has specialized structures for navigation and keeping track of both time and place. They’ve also been repurposed for other uses, but the fact is that reason alone isn’t enough. I’m sure we’ll find plenty of causal structures in the brain since we humans build causal structure as we experience life and follow narrative. None of this means that places, times and causes don’t exist though, just that we are built to deal with them.

My offline reading list includes Ghetto at the Center of the World: Chungking Mansions, Hong Kong about a building in HK full of small fry cell phone wholesalers from around the world. I found about it at My Heart’s in Accra: http://www.ethanzuckerman.com/blog/