THE PLEASURE OF FINDING THINGS OUT, Richard Feynman Interview (1981)

BBC Horizon/PBS Nova THE PLEASURE OF FINDING THINGS OUT, Richard Feynman Interview (1981)

Fifty minutes of PURE Feynman! This is the original Horizon Nova interview – essential for any Feynman fan… and for everyone else too!

“I’m an explorer, OK I like to find out!” Richard Feynman, physicist and adventurer extraordinary…

THE PLEASURE OF FINDING THINGS OUT was filmed in 1981 and will delight and inspire anyone who would like to share something of the joys of scientific discovery. Feynman is a master storyteller, and his tales — about childhood, Los Alamos, or how he won a Nobel Prize — are a vivid and entertaining insight into the mind of a great scientist at work and play.

“The 1981 Feynman Horizon is the best science program I have ever seen. This is not just my opinion – it is also the opinion of many of the best scientists that I know who have seen the program… It should be mandatory viewing for all students whether they be science or arts students.”
- Professor Sir Harry Kroto, Nobel Prize for Chemistry

BBC Horizon/PBS Nova

Category: Science, Video

9 Responses to “Richard Feynman: The Pleasure of Fnding Things Out”

1. mugabe says:

So, does Feynman think the market’s going up or down?

2. Union Agitator says:

I’m a pretty jumpy guy, and I seldom watch videos all the way through, but I found this riveting. This humble and brilliant man, who was so comfortable with what he was and what he did, inspired me.

3. If you havent read “Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!” or “What Do You Care What Other People Think?” you’re really missing out a treat. He had such a thirst for life and tremendous curiosity, it really led him to some great adventures.

My Dad worked at JPL and my Mom at Caltech, they had nothing but great things to say about Richard. My dad actually saw him at a local book store and was chatting him up, he was looking for a medical book because he was not feeling well. Turns out that was the ailment that ultimately killed him.

4. Avocet says:

Thanks — greatly enjoyed seeing this (again). Attended a few of his lectures while a student at Caltech and always came away inspired.

5. just-sayin says:

As a physicist by schooling I have to say Richard Feynman has been a hero for me for many years.
    Anyone who enjoys ‘playing’ with equations related to physical laws will
    readily identify with the way he thinks about life and the world.
    This is a great video and there are many others available from him on the web.

Good choice Barry..

6. Thanks for sharing this video. I still find the man as inspiring as when I read “The Feynman Lectures on Physics” during my first two years in college. In fact, I later used his work in mine:

7. crazicanuck says:

I particularly liked the last two minutes were he contrasted his outlook as a scientist with that of a non scientist. Paraphrased: “I don’t know and I am not frightened by not knowing.”

8. MidlifeNocrisis says:

What a wonderful video. And to parphrase some more: ” I am not as frightened by not knowing, as I am with knowing an answer that is likely wrong”. Absolutely wonderful.

9. great stuff, thanks Barry.

i loved his book ‘Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman!’