CATO Institute economist rails on GOP spending (bigger under Ryan than when Bill Clinton left office) and implies that Nixon and Bush2 were two of the worse presidents of all time. Quite fascinating:

The interview starts at the 5:45 into show.

Watch Tuesday, April 3, 2012 on PBS. See more from PBS NewsHour.

The Republican Party is no longer the party of the past. Not even Ronald Reagan would recognize it. The Cato economist makes some interesting comments about the size of government. But remember, that for the Cato Institute the federal government should do little more than run the military.

Category: Politics, Really, really bad calls, Video

9 Responses to “CATO: GOP as Bad as Dems on Spending”

1. VennData says:

But the Democrats are responsible on taxation. Ergo, a sane person supports the Democrats until the GOP drops the Supply Side fantasy.

2. ComradeAnon says:

It’ll take a little more than dropping the Supply Side fantasy.

3. jswap says:

The Democrats should be liking the Republicans more and more. And vice versa, I suppose.

4. jswap says:

BTW, this video contains a great example of how liberal PBS is; the news host says:

“we assess the rule that allows young players to turn pro after only one year in college”

I “turned pro” as a dishwasher without any time in college. If PBS wasn’t a bunch of pinko commies, they might have said:

“we assess the rule that requires young players to attend college before they can turn pro”.

5. Greg0658 says:

I saw that live .. its my switch to channel at the time period (1 tv anyway) .. I send money over the years to PBS – buy some of their science movies for the public library .. but I’m no match to the big donors & I’m sure they are beholden too (who wouldn’t be – I know what it costs to produce shows like that) – I see the Kochs in the credits and many others I no nothing of

this world is central controlled – and is never going back unless we have a meltdown and go back to real horse power – the only question is controlled by who

PBS is quite the income stream mix … 1> non profit organizations donating profits from somewhere (from all our pockets thru FMCitBPtP*) 2> public tax dollars thru the arts initatives 3> probably cable tv kickbacks 4> and “Viewers Like Me” your welcome

tonights show got me riled up too – last segment …. I know I’ll never see another way of doing the “give us this day our daily bread” mechanism** – but I gots to ding the bell

* another tv tune-in during time-frame
    ** maybe there is no other way – its a jungle of animals out there – get used to it … survival of the species evolution – yaah

6. romerjt says:

The fallacy – the size of the Federal government is in relation to the ineffectiveness of state governments whether we’re talking about voting right, rivers in Pittsburgh on fire,m water pollution (I live down stream from GE and their PCBs that the state gov never tried to control) . Incompetence and corruption in state governments is part of our history . . like in the 17th Amendment – the direct election of senators that attempted to undo the corruption of the process by state legislatures. If a huge federal government scares you think of legislatures in New York, Illinois, California, Texas, Arizona, and Florida with it’s stand your ground law. Just stupid, sorry.

7. Greg0658 says:

romer – before the ps I wrote offline – capitalism plays by 1 rule > Survive .. its hard to create something at the right price …. its hard to control people who need to survive
    ~~
    ps – watching ‘Being Elmo’ right now .. cash is the driver to BE something excellent .. but cash needs to BE available to trickle up .. its a delicate balance isn’t it … where is Robinhood? to early?

8. Futuredome says:

Don’t forget about Alabama either……….brrrrrr.

9. theexpertisin says:

I wonder what the political landscape and spending habits of Congress would be like if only those who owned real estate were allowed to vote?

Just a random thought, not a proposal.